Flashcart or Emulator

15 members have voted

1. 1. Emulator or Flashcart?

• Emulator
    • Flashcart

I don't know if this topic is vague enough for it to belong in Other Games, but it involves Fire Emblem directly. For games like FE6 and FE12 which never came out here, when playing them do you prefer to use emulators or flashcarts?

I've never actually played Sword of Seals without a flashcart. Speaking of which, I should probably give Gringe's translation a try next time I'm in the mood to play Fire Emblem... I've been putting off getting a DS flashcart so I can play New Mystery for a few years now.

Depends on what I am playing, really, if I'm playing a really tedious RPG, difficult game which requires savestate spamming, or something that needs to be sped up to be enjoyable (80% of NES RPGs), then I like emulators, for their effective frameskip. If I'm playing with friends and family, playing an action game like Mario Kart, or Street Fighter, or requires precise button control like Daigasso! Band Brothers, then I much prefer to play it on the console.

All in all, I do prefer flashcards for their authentic feeling of playing on a console, and carrying around my DS and playing it during my breaks in class is infinitely easier than lugging around my laptop.

I do have an SNES flashcard, but unfortunately, it does have issues with saving, which is a huge downside to flashcards, versus emulators, not to mention the lack of savestates. It seems that only my DS flashcard has had any luck with successfully creating save files.

EDIT: Whoops, lol I didn't read OP. In that case, I like playing on emulator, frameskip makes enemy phases all the more enjoyable.

I do however like playing the DS titles on my DS, for reasons aforementioned, and because you can skip enemy phase in the DS titles, making frameskip obsolete.

Edited by Maji