what smartphone should i buy?

Ansem

galaxy swhatever

i had an s3, battery dying is apparently a really common problem and it happened to me plus a few other people i know. galaxy s4 is pretty good from what i hear. s5 is probably way too expensive atm, and to be fair, so is s4. idk man, do whatever you like.

i think there's a kind of iphone that is like a hundred bucks?

I like my galaxy s3

I only got it a year ago but I guess they're already on s5, it wasn't too expensive at the time because the s4 was out and if you've never owned a smartphone before you really don't need anything past that. It does everything I could ever want. If they're still seling them anyway otheriwese probably the s4.

fuck they're up to galaxy s5 now? shit moves fast

I have a galaxy s2 and it's served me well

no wait you said iphone

he was talking about samsungs but also saying you can get an iphone for about a hundred.

Edited by Tryhard

I've owned Apple's and Samsung's devices, so..

iPhone pros:

• Streamlined OS
  • Wider range of quality apps
  • Excellent build quality (even if the aluminum does scratch a bit too easily for my tastes)
  • It's... Apple? I can't think of too much else.

iPhone Cons:

• No replaceable battery
  • No expandable storage (unless you're willing to dish out $100+ for a memory upgrade)
  • Less customize-able than Android phones; even with jailbreak, it can be a hecka inconvenient. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I spent countless hours fixing this and that when I installed something wrong on Cydia for my iPod. Although to be fair, TouchWiz is hardly better, and rooting your phone probably isn't something for not-so-tech-savvy people.
  • Small screen (imo)
  • Too little RAM (Ironically, I've seen far fewer apps crash on my S4 than on my iPod.)
  • Expensive

Galaxy S pros:

• EMULATORS WITHOUT ROOTING/JAILBREAKING. GameBoy, GBA, NES, SNES, N64, PSP... Heck, even a DS emulator... Not so reliable, but it works for Fire Emblem. =3 Not only that, but I can connect my DualShock 3 controller to my phone to use it to play games without the need to use on-screen "buttons." I've seen Dolphin on Play Store, too, but I've never tested it out, so I can't attest to how it works.
  • Replaceable battery
  • Expandable storage
  • Much more customize-ability
  • Larger screens
  • Able to directly download files from Internet browsers
  • Torrents, if you're into that kind of stuff
  • Beautiful AMOLED 1080p display

Galaxy S cons:

As for music, if you're pirating, anyway, it doesn't matter if you use an iPhone or an Android-running phone. You can pirate and insert music into both devices. It's just easier on an Android phone, since you don't need to run iTunes as a portal to your device.

I'm sure there are a ton of more differences that I can't think of right now...

But yeah, for phones, I'd go Android.

Tablets, on the other hand, are a different story... Apple has way more apps optimized for tablets than Google has for their Android-running counterparts.

EDIT: Oh, Android also has Adblock. Huge plus for me.

I still want an iPad, though, for school. =33333333

Edited by Fruity Insanity

Nexus 5. Good price, design and great specs, plus you're getting the stock version of Android which is always up to date, simpler to use and without the bloatware and UI modifications of Samsung phones.

You can buy an unlocked one straight from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_5_black_16gb&hl=en

Edited by Smogon'sLawnMower

galaxy series is a pos if you don't root it. (rooted sgs4 owner). and i mean comparatively. they're pretty good phones in their own right.

htc one, nexus 5, moto x (which iirc isn't being manufactured anymore but if you can get it it's solid) are great choices. htc one has the most "premier" feel to any other android phone. however, if replaceable batteries and expandable storage are must-haves, the galaxy series is pretty much your only choice. oh, and the lg g3 and galaxy s5 have great cameras, both hardware and software. so that might also be important to you.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

If iTunes is the bit stopping you from an iPhone, I'd reconsider. It's so easy to pirate music and put it on an iPhone. They also have iMessage which is a super plus if your friends have iPhones.

stuff

haha so detailed, torrents downloading files will be useful for Uni business so this kinda steers me in the samsung direction. i know that samsung is slower and all, but i think it is a decent buy for its price.

The LG G3 is pretty cool. It's pretty similar to the S5, but I preferred the interface and the display over the S5. I suggest checking it out.

holy shit ~$500 yeah no too expensive

galaxy series is a pos if you don't root it. (rooted sgs4 owner). and i mean comparatively. they're pretty good phones in their own right.

htc one, nexus 5, moto x (which iirc isn't being manufactured anymore but if you can get it it's solid) are great choices. htc one has the most "premier" feel to any other android phone. however, if replaceable batteries and expandable storage are must-haves, the galaxy series is pretty much your only choice. oh, and the lg g3 and galaxy s5 have great cameras, both hardware and software. so that might also be important to you.

i'm assuming root is the samsung equivalent of jailbreaking? will probably have to get around to that once i get the phone. i saw a cheap s3 online yesterday, i think i'll purchase that.

If iTunes is the bit stopping you from an iPhone, I'd reconsider. It's so easy to pirate music and put it on an iPhone. They also have iMessage which is a super plus if your friends have iPhones.

i'm aware that you can put pirated music into an apple device(i have the ipod shuffle that looks like a pregnancy test) but having itunes feel like suck a hassle. i remember having mp3 players where i could just click and drag music files and they would play fine.

i'm assuming root is the samsung equivalent of jailbreaking? will probably have to get around to that once i get the phone. i saw a cheap s3 online yesterday, i think i'll purchase that.

android equivalent, yeah. any android phone is worth it after you root, really (unless you're looking for specifics, like a good camera or expendable storage). a cheap s3 is probably perfect.

whenever you do get around to it, backups are definitely your friend. using other roms is risky business--sometimes even the "big names" like cyanogenmod have failures (my ota update soft-bricked my phone...the official ota update).

edit: and, if for some reason you actually do want an iphone, there's a way to circumvent itunes. foobar2000 has the ability to sync your music and all that cool stuff.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/24473/how-to-use-your-ipod-with-foobar2000/

so yeah if you really wanted to it's possible.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

anyone know the battery life on the s3

My mother has one and its battery is pretty shitty.

Btw, my father has a s4 and its battery life is also shitty. People talk about iPhones having worse battery life, but my iPhone 5s's is much better than their phones.

Could just be my parents' phones being messed up, though.

Edited by NOBODY

apple phones in general don't have good battery life just due to how little their batteries have, but because of their optimization they've been getting better. samsung phones have poor battery life because they have lots of things running sucking electricity, even if they have a bigger battery. but at least you can change the battery when it starts getting worn down, unlike iphones

moto g is a good cheaper smartphone alternative