Yo, Anyone Have a Game Save For FE4 That Has...

FionordeQuester

i googled it like 8 times, i don't think there's a hard mode. there's a patch that makes the game harder, though.

and i mean i've beaten the whole thing and nothing happened so i don't think so

Hmm...well, I have an idea! Just record a movie, a VERY short movie, of where you are, and then send the resulting SMV file to me. I'll load it up, and BOOM! I should have it!

Of course, this movie has to be on Snesx, and it has to be the patched and translated rom, so, I'm not sure you can help with that. But still, thanks so much for the help anyways, whatever comes of this!

Edited by FionordeQuester

To use a .srm, rename it to the rom name (exept for the extension, which stays .srm) and put it in snes9x's "saves" folder (which is in snex9x's main folder). Then boot the game normaly. I have one that i have been using for the same purpose if you need it. (at the beginning of chapter 9 and have noticed no difference whatsoever) However, note that doing this will overwrite all saved games. (not savestates but those will not have hard ai unlocked.) THe only way to unlock hard ai on an existing savefile is to complete another save on the same cartradge (although i havn't tried that for sure), or using a cheatcode, which you could find using a process caled a cheat search.

Edited by sirmola

Ok, looks like Sirmola's answer was able to help me! Renaming that save file WAS the key to letting me use it! Unfortunately, I still didn't get past that epilogue screen talking about how Johalva/Johan returned to Verdane...but guess what? It doesn't matter, because Hard Mode STILL got unlocked after the Epilogue sequence started! So even if you're playing the patched rom, you can still get that "Hard Mode"! How cool is that?!

Quite cool :p I never really learned what the Hard Mode does in regards to enemy movement and attacks. If you see anything stand out, share it with us?

I've played up to chapter 9, and see no difference whatsoever so far, (exept that aria kept attacking my bait instead of heading back to genoa after it got captured, but i asked around and apparently this happens on normal difficulty as well.)

Ok, looks like Sirmola's answer was able to help me! Renaming that save file WAS the key to letting me use it! Unfortunately, I still didn't get past that epilogue screen talking about how Johalva/Johan returned to Verdane...but guess what? It doesn't matter, because Hard Mode STILL got unlocked after the Epilogue sequence started! So even if you're playing the patched rom, you can still get that "Hard Mode"! How cool is that?!

I use softpatching, then change the patch name right before siezing belhala, then change it back after viewing the ending. (or you could use the fact that snex 9x uses the same save files and savestates for roms with the same name in different folders, to open an untranslated rom in a different folder right before siezing belhala.) The save files are unchanged from the origional for all fe4 translations. (and i belive all fe fan translations exept the new fe6 patch, which messes up character stats)

Edited by sirmola

I've played up to chapter 9, and see no difference whatsoever so far, (exept that aria kept attacking my bait instead of heading back to genoa after it got captured, but i asked around and apparently this happens on normal difficulty as well.)

Yeah. I think the main difference is supposed to be aggressiveness of enemies, and their likeliness to move towards player units, but I don't think anyone has reliably tried to measure differences in their behaviour :/

Hey, here's a possible observation of Hard Mode, for anyone interested...

It seems that the difference between whether the A.I. attacks someone who has low defenses, or someone it can actually hit is at least partially determined by what kind of terrain they are standing on. So if the weak but speedy person is on a plain, he'll be attacked. But if that speedy person is on a forest, then the A.I. will attack the other person, regardless of whether or not it still has a chance of hitting said weak but speedy person.

Hey, here's a possible observation of Hard Mode, for anyone interested...

It seems that the difference between whether the A.I. attacks someone who has low defenses, or someone it can actually hit is at least partially determined by what kind of terrain they are standing on. So if the weak but speedy person is on a plain, he'll be attacked. But if that speedy person is on a forest, then the A.I. will attack the other person, regardless of whether or not it still has a chance of hitting said weak but speedy person.

Is it based on terain, or evashion percent? In ofther words does it actualy base it on weather you are on a forest, or is it some evasion threshold, (such as 80 0r 90 percent), which the forest just helps him get above?

Is it based on terain, or evashion percent? In ofther words does it actualy base it on weather you are on a forest, or is it some evasion threshold, (such as 80 0r 90 percent), which the forest just helps him get above?

Well, actually, they will attack someone on the Road even when they have a 0% chance of hitting them. Just not when they're on Plains or whatever. So it seems to me like there's a sort of "is this guy on a Road? So it seems like, in regards to people the A.I. can't hit, they go through this sort of process...

1) We can't hit this guy. Is there anyone else we have a chance of hitting?

YES

2) Then we attack that other guy instead!

No

3) Shoot...well, is that guy on a road?

No

4) Huh. Better just avoid that guy then.

Yes

5) Ah crud. Well, better just suicide into him then!

Well, actually, they will attack someone on the Road even when they have a 0% chance of hitting them. Just not when they're on Plains or whatever. So it seems to me like there's a sort of "is this guy on a Road? So it seems like, in regards to people the A.I. can't hit, they go through this sort of process...

1) We can't hit this guy. Is there anyone else we have a chance of hitting?

YES

2) Then we attack that other guy instead!

No

3) Shoot...well, is that guy on a road?

No

4) Huh. Better just avoid that guy then.

Yes

5) Ah crud. Well, better just suicide into him then!

Huh. That's an ... odd way to code an ai routine. I don't see what the point is of coding it like that. That is only an advantage to the player, (because being on a road meens that he wants to move which is easier when everyone has suicided into him). This raises the question of why this is in the hard ai routine?