How come wyvern riders are usually from the enemy country?

Dragoncat

That's interesting. Looks like the other continents have more wider strategies and use a bit of everything, mostly.

That's not true in fe 4/5, in which each place has it's own signiture class. Thracia has wyvrens. Lenstar has lance knights. Silesia has wind mages/Pegasis knights, augustry and chalphy have paladins, jungby has bowknights, frege has thunder mages, velhomer has fire mages, dozel has axe knights, izacc has mymadons, edda has clerics, and mercenaries have swordknights. THere are plenty of exeptions in the name of enimy variey of course. (especialy in fe5)

I'd imagine a lot of it comes from general game structure. I mean, it makes more sense to have an early playable peg than an early playable wyvern because of the distinct niches of the class. The pegasus knight can be gated in early levels due to low con heavily effecting their weapon choices(once they get levels under their belt and have enough speed to compensate, they can grab heavier weapons, it gives them a healthy growth curve). But, unlike other low base stat growth units, a peg is still useful due to flight. But take a wyvern, in comparison. An earlygame wyvern wouldn't need higher end weapons due to the higher str base, and due to general survivability, they reach juggernaut status much more quickly. As a class with generally better base stats than pegs, swapping them out in the earlygame basically gives you a highly mobile wrecking ball from the onset. And then if you got the peg later on, why would you use it? Your wyvern started strong and never really falls off. By starting you with the peg, the game gives you more viable options. It allows the peg to be viable by having time to get it's power curve started(and allows the peg knight's biggest class balancing weakness, the not so hot early combat, to actually exist and act as a limiter), and by the time you have your wyvern, the peg has already gotten a chance to get itself up to the par, and potentially compete with the wyvern's generally strong presence as long as you have it.

Or so that's my theory anyway maybe they just picked classes from a hat and wyvern gets the bad luck of the draw every time I dunno.

I'd imagine a lot of it comes from general game structure. I mean, it makes more sense to have an early playable peg than an early playable wyvern because of the distinct niches of the class. The pegasus knight can be gated in early levels due to low con heavily effecting their weapon choices(once they get levels under their belt and have enough speed to compensate, they can grab heavier weapons, it gives them a healthy growth curve). But, unlike other low base stat growth units, a peg is still useful due to flight. But take a wyvern, in comparison. An earlygame wyvern wouldn't need higher end weapons due to the higher str base, and due to general survivability, they reach juggernaut status much more quickly. As a class with generally better base stats than pegs, swapping them out in the earlygame basically gives you a highly mobile wrecking ball from the onset. And then if you got the peg later on, why would you use it? Your wyvern started strong and never really falls off. By starting you with the peg, the game gives you more viable options. It allows the peg to be viable by having time to get it's power curve started(and allows the peg knight's biggest class balancing weakness, the not so hot early combat, to actually exist and act as a limiter), and by the time you have your wyvern, the peg has already gotten a chance to get itself up to the par, and potentially compete with the wyvern's generally strong presence as long as you have it.

Or so that's my theory anyway maybe they just picked classes from a hat and wyvern gets the bad luck of the draw every time I dunno.

xD Theory makes sense.

That's not true in fe 4/5, in which each place has it's own signiture class. Thracia has wyvrens. Lenstar has lance knights. Silesia has wind mages/Pegasis knights, augustry and chalphy have paladins, jungby has bowknights, frege has thunder mages, velhomer has fire mages, dozel has axe knights, izacc has mymadons, edda has clerics, and mercenaries have swordknights. THere are plenty of exeptions in the name of enimy variey of course. (especialy in fe5)

Isn't this true in like all games? Like in Elibe, Lycian knights (mounted and armoured), Sacaen nomads and myrmidons, Bern Generals and Wyverns, Ilian Pegs and Mercs, Etrurian mages, etc.

Tellius has Laguz in their respective nations, Begnion uses pegasi, Daein uses wyverns.

Sacred Stones, oh you get it by now.

Probably because wyvern riders are very good units. If you had a wyvern rider instead of a pegasus at the start, you would have a better unit imo, and you would have much easier time at the early stage of the game, where it is supposed to be the hardest.

They also look cool and intimidating, and nothing will strike more fear into you than a sudden 5 wyvern rider reinforcement right behind your squad, killing everyone.