What is going on with the world?

evilbeepskyrim

Whether or not it is autonomous and by how much it is, does not matter. The thing is if you want to secede there's legal ways of doing it.

Exactly. Crimea's secession wasn't in accordance with even its own constitution.

In all fairness though, Crimea's secession was about as lawful as Ukraine's current government. I find it hard to condemn Russia for aiding rebels while turning a blind eye to the fact that Ukraine's government is made up of rebels.

It's definitely difficult to draw a definitive conclusion on the situation in Ukraine due to the raging information wars. I can definitely see why Russia would not be too happy about it's neighboring countries moving closer to NATO and the west in general, and Ukraine certainly has done it's fair share of mistakes. Whilst Russia seems to be the aggressor here, I will still say that the EU and NATO have certainly been generating some provocation themselves.

Also, as Finland happens to share a rather lengthy border with Russia, the general mood here is rather distressed. A large portion of the population harbors very antagonistic opinions about Russia (surprisingly many still have first-hand experiences from WW2, and the annexation of certain areas of Eastern Finland during that time still cause desires of revenge in many), and they have, due to the ongoing crisis, been far more inclined about joining NATO. I personally hope that Finland will maintain it's armed neutrality, since I presume a NATO membership would do little more than give a provocative message about Finland.

Edited by Topazd255