I've now played two Kirby games.

Anacybele

Kirby's Dreamland 3 is also an amazing game which has more of a 64 feel than the others with aesthetics and everything (I believe both Dreamland 3 and 64 had a different director than the others) and one of my favorite soundtracks of the whole series. It also has co-op if you're so inclined.

his last kirby game was Kirby Air Ride and the ones Batter mentioned.

He left Nintendo's HAL a long time ago in 2003 and made Meteos.

Oh. I would've thought maybe he took Kirby with him or something though, like he did with Smash.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, I like it. I don't LOVE it, but I like it. lol

I mean, the whole swallowing thing still doesn't intrigue me a lot. It just feels like Yoshi on steroids. But the games themselves are still really fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Since it has not been mentioned yet, I'd recommend Kirby's Squeak Squad for the DS if given the chance. It's a more traditional game compared to Super Star Ultra.

Kirby's Squeak Squad operates more like the
Dark Matter Trilogy in regards to having a world map and selecting stages to repeat at your leisure, though it's significantly easier in a number of ways. The obvious throw-it-in-and-it-works feature is the bottom screen being used to store up to five objects, ranging from recovery foods to powers you can open on the fly to the treasure chests you carry to the end of the stage to keep the collectibles. In that respect, Squeak Squad is more like amazing mirror - most of the collectibles either have an aesthetic function (Colors for Kirby and change the appearance of the inventory), an immediate helpful function (Secret Scrolls add a move or passive ability to one of your powers, even going so far as to make sleep heal you), or else unlock something when you obtain them all. (The map to the power collection and the medallion which replaces certain minibosses with a Ghost miniboss which gives the unique Ghost Powerup.)

Simply completing the game from start to finish can take quite a while with seven worlds total, but getting 100% felt like it was "Not too long, not too short." It's not particularly difficult even if you ignore the ability to horde maxim tomatoes and items on the bottom screen, some might even say easy depending on how experienced you are with Kirby games. I, personally, find it much easier than Kirby 64 and most Kirby games in fact, but I don't particularly consider difficulty necessary for a hard game what with all the little side paths you can get to if you keep a sharp eye out while exploring. It's not confusing like Amazing Mirror, either.

I should know, I had to 100% that game a second time after a child deleted my save.

I'd absolutely recommend Epic Yarn. It's super adorable and great, although a lot of fans would tell you they hate it because it has no copy abilities, but I don't find that detrimental at all. It's very creative and has amazing level design which manages to be compelling despite the lack of death (which isn't a problem anyway, because I sure as hell don't play Kirby to have a difficult time, I play it because it's cute and fun and great and really pleasant).

You probably won't like this one, but the very first Kirby game, Kirby's Dreamland, is also among my favourites. You can get it on the 3DS eShop, I believe, and though it also has no copy abilities (I'm seeing a pattern here...), I find it to also be a supremely compelling game. If you actually sit down to do it, it may take no more than 20 minutes to go through the entire game! Which I think is another of its strengths, that it manages to deliver a great experience while being so brief.

Kirby's Dreamland 3 is also an amazing game which has more of a 64 feel than the others with aesthetics and everything (I believe both Dreamland 3 and 64 had a different director than the others) and one of my favorite soundtracks of the whole series. It also has co-op if you're so inclined.

Seconding Dreamland 3. It's a very gorgeous game, and I loved the little missions you could do.

Edited by Nightmare

For the second time, I already said I'll eventually get Triple Deluxe. Geez. I also already said I'll get Super Star Ultra. Read the thread, people.

I'll consider Epic Yarn too, forgot about that one.

i wish i could love the series as much as you guys do. the older i get, the more boring kirby gets. :(

well I personally haven't been following kirby games in a while and it is meant to be a comfy game until you play those challenging boss run modes. So I can see why some people are turned off by kirby games.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd recommend that you get Kirby's Adventure and Kirby's Dreamland 2... they're both archaic, one's on the NES and one's on the Game Boy, but they're both on the Virtual Console(Kirby's Adventure is on the Wii/Wii U virtual console and Dreamland 2 is on the 3DS). Kirby's Dreamland 2 isn't a game that I've beaten yet, not that it's hard, but it's just a game that you need to know what ability to bring into a level and to keep in order to get the rainbow drop. It's a great game and it's what got me into the Kriby series.

Super Star (Ultra) is fantastic and one of my favourite games so I'm glad you're getting it. I found the amazing mirror to be a little lacklustre in comparison but I liked the metroidvania aspect. Really, it's hard to go wrong with kirby games, they're all varying levels of good. Most of them you can easily play on an emulator too, save the newer ones.

Edited by fuccboi

I saw Super Star Ultra in GameStop, but it was $20. I didn't feel like paying that much for it right now, so I passed on it. But I would like to play it eventually, for sure.