Marth's last name, was it ever confirmed?

Marth's last name was Lowell in the anime, and I know Kaga and Nintendo were consulted for it, but is it canon? I could have sworn I saw the last name used elsewhere as well, but I can't for the life of me remember.

FxqP7Vc.jpg

Added picture for everyone to see.

Edited by SuperMechaDeathChrist

I would've thought it was Altea. Royals seem to have their countries or territories as their last names. Elincia Ridell Crimea, anyone? The Lycia folks seem to be the same, always called Marquess Caelin or Marquess Laus or Marquess Pherae.

The "Marquess Caelin" etc. seems to be only a titular thing; I don't think it's actually their last name. There have been similar trends in FE10 for example (Duke Gaddos, Duke Persis, etc.).

I don't remember if any of the lords other than Alm had any established canon last names.

I'm pretty sure that Eliwood is referred to as Eliwood Pherae at some specific point in the game.

Jill Fizzart is apparently so popular that her bio specifically calls out her last name as like "Last Name: Fizzart. Yada yada blah blah blah".

Strangely enough, I've seen people call Ike "Ike Greil" or "Ike Gawain" which the latter sounds pretty cool, imo. But obviously, Ike has no last name since he was born a commoner. Sanaki even says so herself. "You have no surname."

The "Marquess Caelin" etc. seems to be only a titular thing; I don't think it's actually their last name. There have been similar trends in FE10 for example (Duke Gaddos, Duke Persis, etc.).

I don't remember if any of the lords other than Alm had any established canon last names.

Celice Baldos Chalphy and Leif Faris Claus. Which means Sigurd's full name is also Sigurd [Hypothetical Middle Name] Chalpy. That makes Marth the only lord in games 1-5 without a last name unless 'Lowell' actually counts. As for the name = country thing, that really does seem to be a title or a regnal name rather than a ruler's actual personal name. Leif's grandfather gets referred to as King Leonster even though his first name is Calf and his last name is presumably Claus.

The "Marquess Caelin" etc. seems to be only a titular thing; I don't think it's actually their last name.

This is true. It is considered courteous to refer to nobles by the territory they rule over rather than by their names. This is not peculiar to Fire Emblem, but (used to be) European custom; though it is now no longer very common to do so, it used to be very common when the nobility was still important. For example, we know the man whose actual name was Charles-Louis de Secondat by the name of the territory he was the baron of, Montesquieu. Given how European middle ages inspired Fire Emblem, I think it is safe to say that characters don't have last names, but that this principle applies.

So I don't consider Lowell Marth's canon surname. Besides never having heard it anywhere, it just seems strange to me that Marth would be the only person who actually has any other name besides their given name.

Besides never having heard it anywhere, it just seems strange to me that Marth would be the only person who actually has any other name besides their given name.

He says it when he introduces himself to the elder in the anime. I think it was the second episode. Let me see if I can find a subtitle of it. Says it in English dub too.

FxqP7Vc.jpg

Edited by SuperMechaDeathChrist

He says it when he introduces himself to the elder in the anime. I think it was the second episode. Let me see if I can find a subtitle of it. Says it in English dub too.

FxqP7Vc.jpg

True, but the real question here is whether to consider this canon. From what I remember the anime doesn't always agree with Fire Emblem canon. I have already given my reasons as to why I don't consider this case to be canon.

True, but the real question here is whether to consider this canon. From what I remember the anime doesn't always agree with Fire Emblem canon. I have already given my reasons as to why I don't consider this case to be canon.

Here's the thing, what isn't considered canon in the anime besides the name? That's why I'm asking. We need to find out if the name is canon. The anime is very true to the games for what it is and has the original creators involved.

So the Japanese site calls him Marth

and the English localization calls him Marth

I'm not seeing the discrepensy. Localization of Altea (English) vs Aritia (Japanese) is totally possible, considering we've seen wackier translation changes like Soiree vs Sully and Tiamo vs Cordelia

Except the Japanese Smash site calls him Marth...

'Mars' (which is not pronounced like the Roman god, it's pronounced pretty similarly to Marth) was the localization before Melee was a thing.

It was a retconned translation.

Personally I prefer Marth because of the War God confusion being eradicated.

I like Marth better too because I'm used to seeing "Mars" as the name of a planet up there in space. :P So I associate it more with Sci-Fi than medieval stuff.

Plus I find the "Martha" jokes funny. lol

But I see.

Edited by Anacybele

Personally I prefer Marth because of the War God confusion being eradicated.

But I always thought his name was based on the god Mars.

Well anyway, Fire Emblem Wikia does list his last name Lowell, but mentions it's exclusive to the anime (here's a link: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Marth#Etymology).

As for how canon the anime is in general. It's been a long time since I've watched it, so I can't really be sure.

But if I recall correctly, in a few cases the following question arises: "This isn't in the games, so should this be considered canon?"

With the release of Shadow Dragon (which added some new information to the canon, notably by the addition of the prologue) I believe the answer in a couple of cases became "no".

So either Intelligent Systems doesn't think everything in the anime is canon (otherwise it wouldn't later create canon that disagrees with it) or Intelligent Systems has forgotten about the anime or Intelligent Systems doesn't care that much about the discrepancies. Or I'm just misremembering.

The name was most likely based on the war god, since FE has never been subtle about it's mythological references, haha. I mean fgs, Bastian was originally Ulysses in the NoJ version.

Edited by Topazd255

With the release of Shadow Dragon (which added some new information to the canon, notably by the addition of the prologue) I believe the answer in a couple of cases became "no".

So either Intelligent Systems doesn't think everything in the anime is canon (otherwise it wouldn't later create canon that disagrees with it) or Intelligent Systems has forgotten about the anime or Intelligent Systems doesn't care that much about the discrepancies. Or I'm just misremembering.

With Shadow Dragon even the first NES game isn't canon anymore. Me personally, I don't consider Shadow Dragon to be canon.

With Shadow Dragon even the first NES game isn't canon anymore. Me personally, I don't consider Shadow Dragon to be canon.

It isn't really a matter of whatever one happens to consider canon, since FE11 most definitely is. And sure, FE1 is still canon since 11 didn't negate anything about it, only added to it.

Edited by Topazd255