The new shadow dragon TAS

sirmola

Is was looking around tasvidios.org and i noticed that shadow dragon recently had a tool assisted speedrun put up. I found this exciting because the record holding real-time run on sda is so badly recorded that it is unwatchable. The tasvidios page is here: http://tasvideos.org/2690M.html

Also, here is the actual video:

What do you guys think of it?

Actually saw this a while ago and was pretty impressed, but in a way it made me even more impressed with the old segmented run that's only about a a minute and 45 seconds slower by hand! I don't know specifically what new strategies Vykan employed but I wager the tile selection for warping and menu stuff has to cut a lot of time by itself compared to doing it by hand.

Edited by Irysa

Actually saw this a while ago and was pretty impressed, but in a way it made me even more impressed with the old segmented run that's only about a a minute and 45 seconds slower by hand! I don't know specifically what new strategies Vykan employed but I wager the tile selection for warping and menu stuff has to cut a lot of time by itself compared to doing it by hand.

Going to the linked page and clicking the link next to "auther's comments" gives you a blow-by-blow on the strategy used.

Ooh, that was pretty cool. I've seen a TAS before, but never one that went by so fast. Also, I've never seen any screenshots for 24x, so that helped me a bit.

But I think I can see the problem with it. Jeigan was used to late game.

Honestly, it's a pretty boring run to watch. Nothing against Vykan, he did fine, it's the nature of the run. Watching him skip everything just isn't that entertaining, lol. Half of it is "Move Marth, skip enemy phase, seize" while the other half is "Warp Marth, skip enemy phase, seize." The most interesting thing about it is seeing that Shadow Dragon can be beaten in only 12 minutes.

Honestly, it's a pretty boring run to watch. Nothing against Vykan, he did fine, it's the nature of the run. Watching him skip everything just isn't that entertaining, lol. Half of it is "Move Marth, skip enemy phase, seize" while the other half is "Warp Marth, skip enemy phase, seize." The most interesting thing about it is seeing that Shadow Dragon can be beaten in only 12 minutes.

Agree with the sentiment, but I guess there's nothing to be done about that when it's going for the fastest possible overall time. A warpless H5 run or something akin to it would certainly be a spectacle.

Regardless, it's an impressive feat. Vykan also did a single-segment speedrun by hand a little while ago, clocking at 18:31. I guess this run employed mostly the same strategies, although he had more control over the RNG here.

The "safe" icon in the upper left hand corner of the submission box means that it is in the "vault tier" which means that it is technically proficient, but not that interesting to watch. by comparison, all three gba TASs are "moon tier" which means that it is both of those things.

Agree with the sentiment, but I guess there's nothing to be done about that when it's going for the fastest possible overall time. A warpless H5 run or something akin to it would certainly be a spectacle.

Regardless, it's an impressive feat. Vykan also did a single-segment speedrun by hand a little while ago, clocking at 18:31. I guess this run employed mostly the same strategies, although he had more control over the RNG here.

Note the policy is that any well optimized run on the hardest difficulty unlocked from first power on (h1 in this case) will replace all runs on lower dificulties (even faster ones). a catagory like "h5 warpless" is also accepted as a seperate branch, provided people like it, so there is still plenty of opprofunity for a tas of shadow dragon if anyone wants to. (warning: tasvidios is a demanding site, so you need to be a perfectionist. posting your works in progress for feedback is highly recommended.)

i feel like H1 would be faster than NM because of no prologue.

From what i understand, the additional time required for a strategy other than "steamroll everything with marth" (which is no longer possible due to additional enemy stats) adds a lot more time than the prolog does. The tas videos site will consider H1 better regardless of length though. (I haven't actually tried myself though, as i am more of a casual player.)

Edited by sirmola

I was hoping the tool used to assist in speedrunning this game was going to be a power drill through the game cart. (hohohohohohehehehehehehahahahahaha)

But hey this was a good insight on Marth's morning jog through Archanea, always wanted to know how he stayed fit.