Marijuana Legalization

Black Dynamite

Are you for or against marijuana legalization, and why? I for one am a strong advocate of legalizing marijuana for recreational and medical uses, and think that marijuana prohibition is not only outdated, but a waste of money and an infringement upon civil rights. I think that it should only be legal for adults to use, but that there should be absolutely no risk of jail time for simple possession of marijuana or smoking paraphenelia.

There's significant medical studies that support marijuana can be beneficial, depending on what is being treated. I'm not claiming marijuana cures cancer, but there's research to support that it helps patients with recurring seizures and glaucoma among other things. The laws are certainly draconian.

If alcohol and cigarettes are legal why can't marijuana? Just make users responsible for using like like alcohol.

This whole debate has been through the wash several times already and I think all that can be said for either side has already been said

I'd be for legalisation just so it can be regulated better. There's a lot of debate on how dangerous it actually is, but it would be a lot safer without things being done under the table.

Legal but regulated...

Non-smoking areas should apply to it...

It should have the same restrictions than tobacco-related products. (This includes showing potential health risks on packaging)

There's significant medical studies that support marijuana can be beneficial, depending on what is being treated. I'm not claiming marijuana cures cancer, but there's research to support that it helps patients with recurring seizures and glaucoma among other things. The laws are certainly draconian.

there are also significant medical studies that support the null hypothesis, or that do not show marijuana to be a better therapy than first-line drugs for these conditions.

regardless, i think the medical argument for marijuana legalization is among the weaker ones. the other arguments - better regulatory ability, relatively few negative effects, lower likelihood of throwing people in jail - are all more convincing.

If alcohol and cigarettes are legal why can't marijuana? Just make users responsible for using like like alcohol.

This whole debate has been through the wash several times already and I think all that can be said for either side has already been said

This, Exactly this.

In fact, I find countries that straight-up legalize drugs are doing the smart thing.

This, Exactly this.

In fact, I find countries that straight-up legalize drugs are doing the smart thing.

I agree. I think making drug users criminals just perpetuates problems and makes violent criminals out of non violent offenders. Getting imprisoned for years for a crime that doesn't harm anyone else is ridiculous to me. Years in jail tends to do a lot more harm than most recreational drug use.

It's not really for me, but for the states/countries that have legalized it, were there any laws against smoking out in public or such?

Edited by Tryhard

Never smoked it nor intend to, but i think it should be legalized. And yeah, this includes recreatinal use.

Legalizing medical marijuana shouldn't even be a question, IMO. There are people out there who need medicine made of it to have a normal life and can't (or have to get it through illegal ways) because of stupid laws.

Edited by Nobody

It's not really for me, but for the states/countries that have legalized it, were there any laws against smoking out in public or such?

I'm aware that Holland, where it has been legal for many years, has such restrictions, you can smoke at home or in coffee shops but not in public. Tobacco conversely is not allowed to be smoked with cannabis anymore there too. I can eventually see such restrictions happening sometime in the future.

On the subject of prisoners who were arrested for cannabis possession or supply, what will happen to those in jail in places where it has become legal? I assume nothing, which is a huge waste, legalisation alone isn't enough imo but the whole punishment side of things has to be dealt with as well.

Marihuana isn't legal in the Netherlands, the government made the decision not to actively prosecute the selling and buying of it below a certain amount of weight - 7 grams AFAIK. There's also regulations on how many plants any one person can grow. This creates issues, as shops need to buy in bulk. Also, whether or not you are allowed to smoke it outside depends on where you are - city councils decide on bans in certain places.

It should be legalised, and treated as normal cigarettes you see on sale in shops. Making such a petty substance illegal to the point of even owning it in the UK can bring jail time is fucking ridiculous and puts even more strain on the already fragile justice system. Not having to worry about marijuana would help shift police and the court's time and money towards other things that actually matter. Making it legal to buy/sell and putting a heavy tax on the stuff would also help the economy a bit, would it not?

I am for it.

It's funny. A short while ago I would have thought anyone saying it should be legal was just trying to smoke a joint without getting caught. Now that I have epilepsy my entire viewpoint on it has changed simply because, now, it could very well end up being something I need.

It should be legalized and approved for medical use only.

I've never understood the whole "Cigs and Alcohol are legal so MJ should be as well" argument. It's weak, as it can be applied to basically every drug.

It's not weak; in fact it's a very strong argument. Marijuana is non-addictive (hasj is a bit different) and while the health effects per smoke are greater than cigarettes, the fact remains you smoke a few spliffs a day at most.

Actually, it is a falacious argument that supposes Marijuana should be legal just because other drugs are legal. "All drugs should be allowed because tobacco and alcohol are allowed" is a generalization which doesn't bother to analyse other drugs separately for their effects and consequences in a society. Remember China and the war against opium, guys.

As for the legalization itself, I need to study more about the matter before making a judgment. I see reasonable arguments from both sides and refuttals everywhere, it confuses the crap out of me.

Actually, it is a falacious argument that supposes Marijuana should be legal just because other drugs are legal. "All drugs should be allowed because tobacco and alcohol are allowed" is a generalization which doesn't bother to analyse other drugs separately for their effects and consequences in a society. Remember China and the war against opium, guys.

As for the legalization itself, I need to study more about the matter before making a judgment. I see reasonable arguments from both sides and refuttals everywhere, it confuses the crap out of me.

It's not a fallacy because he explained why marijuana is similar to alcohol and tobacco.

It's not a fallacy because he explained why marijuana is similar to alcohol and tobacco.

The argument by itself is weak until a hidden premisse is added to enforce it ("Marijuana is similar to alcohol and tobacco"). That's my point. Also, until someone explains why marijuana is similar to alcohol and tobacco, it means nothing.

Edited by Rapier

Exactly. There was never any real reason to ban it in the first place, it is pretty commonly accepted the banning (along with other substances) was politically fueled; it was to oppose hippies. The health concerns of smoking marijuana are comparable to or lesser than alcohol and tobacco. And if those are considered acceptable risks for those two, then its hypocritical not to rewind the marijuana ban.