Best final classes

Melissa

Chrom-Great Lord

Robin-Varies, otherwise Grandmaster, Dread Fighter(M), Bride(F)

Fred- Wyvern Lord

Lissa-Valkyrie or Dark Flier

Sully-Great Knightress

Virion-Bow Knight

Stahl-Great Knight

Vaike-Warrior, Hero, or Zerker

Miriel-Sage, Sorceress, or Dark Knightress

Sumia-Dark Flier

Kellam-General, Sage, or Assasin

Donny-Warrior, Hero, or Bow Knight

Lon'qu-Assasin or Swordmaster

Ricken-Sage or Dark Knight

Maribelle-Valkyrie, Dark Knightress, Sage, or Dark Flier

Panne-Assasin or Wyvern Lady

Gaius-Assasin

Cordelia-Dark Flier

Gregor-Hero or Bow Knight

Nowi-Wyvern Lady

Libra-Sage

Tharja-Sorceress or Dark Knightress

Anna-Assasin

Olivia-Dancer

Cherche-Wyvern Lady

Henry-Sorceror or Dark Knight

Lucina-Great Lady

Say'ri-Swordmistress

Tiki-Varies

Basilio-Zerker or Hero

Flavia-Assasin or Heroine

Gangrel-Assasin

Walhart-Varies

Emmeryn-Dark Flier or Sage

Yen'fay-Swordmaster

Aversa-Dark Flier

Priam-(Radiant) Hero

Owain-Assasin or Swordmaster

Inigo-Hero or Bow Knight

Brady-Sage

Kjelle-General, Great Knightress, or Swordmistress

Cynthia-Dark Flier

Severa-Heroine

Gerome-Wyvern Lord

Morgan-Varies

Yarne-Swordmaster, Zerker, Paladin, or Warrior

Laurent-Sage, Sorceror, or Zerker

Noire-Sorceress, Dark Knightress, or Sniper

Nah-Wyvern Lady

So there's my chronologically-ordered opinion list of who should be what class by the end of the game,opinions are welcome.

This is before Grima

This is my opinion

This assumes the unit has been every other class they have access to

Edited by MelissaTheDreadFighter

Frederick as a Paladin is a terrible idea. He starts as a Great Knight with high def and str growths for a reason. He'd probably work as a Wyvern Lord too though, that I can agree with. I've also noticed that he's really good as a Dread Fighter too since he gets more speed AND a nice res boost thanks to Res +10.

Not to mention that he has very similar growths to Stahl whom you put as Great Knight (which I agree with).

Cordelia should be a Falcon Knight, imo. Her magic growth/stat isn't good enough to make real use of tomes. Granted, Falcon Knight uses a magic "weapon" as well, but restricting her to healing isn't as bad as trying to make her attack with magic.

Everyone else, I can't really comment on since I don't have enough experience with them.

Also, "Knightress"? I've never heard that one before. o.O

You can't really rank the children accurately here, considering their father's/mother's modifiers and classes vary. For example, Laurent's father could be Ricken on one file, but having his father as Vaike or Frederick on another file would greatly impact his stat growths, modifiers, and reclassing options.

I usually keep everybody as their original, promoted classes anyway (excluding Donnel, of course). I only do this because their modifiers were built for these classes originally. For example. Maribelle is a bad combat unit when reclassed to a War Cleric/Falcon Knight, but she excels at tome-wielding combat when she is a Valkyrie/Sage.

Also, I would just like to note that Cordelia is actually great as a Dark Flier. In the secret path of Apotheosis, she was a great help with her forged Celica's Gale for me.

Ingame, postgame or Apo? Normal, Hard, Lunatic or Lunatic+? Any special restrictions/goals? What pairings are being used?

All of those questions have the potential to completely change this list, so I'm going to have to disagree with all of those (except Brady. He's pretty much always at his best as a Sage in remotely normal conditions).

Ingame, postgame or Apo? Normal, Hard, Lunatic or Lunatic+? Any special restrictions/goals? What pairings are being used?

All of those questions have the potential to completely change this list, so I'm going to have to disagree with all of those (except Brady. He's pretty much always at his best as a Sage in remotely normal conditions).

and i must disagree with the bolded part

Vaike!Brady

all the way

axe faire

and i must disagree with the bolded part

Vaike!Brady

all the way

axe faire

Nope. Maribelle has a -3 Str mod and a +2 Mag mod. Vaike has a +3 Str mod and a -2 Mag mod, giving you some of the worst offensive mod clash in the game. Axefaire doesn't make up for any of that, since Brady already has Tomefaire and all the good Berserkers (Gerome, Yarne) will have it as well. I've no beef with your aesthetics, but this is a gameplay thread (unless TC says otherwise) and Vaike!Brady is going nowhere here.

Nope. Maribelle has a -3 Str mod and a +2 Mag mod. Vaike has a +3 Str mod and a -2 Mag mod, giving you some of the worst offensive mod clash in the game. Axefaire doesn't make up for any of that, since Brady already has Tomefaire and all the good Berserkers (Gerome, Yarne) will have it as well. I've no beef with your aesthetics, but this is a gameplay thread (unless TC says otherwise) and Vaike!Brady is going nowhere here.

well then looks like i have to redo my pairings

again

Maybe. Maybe not.

The title of this thread is "best"- but Awakening's metagame is a game of good and better, not bad and good. So while Vaike!Brady may be one of the worst Bradys, he's still got 51 Str as a Berserker/47 Mag as a Sage. Compared to Ricken!Laurent's 52 Mag and Vaike!Gerome's 57 Str, he's only down 10.53% from optimal 2nd gen Str and 9.62% from optimal 2nd gen Mag, which isn't actually that bad. Once you add LB, Rally, Agg and a forged Brave, he's at 99/105 Str and 88/94 Mag, a 5.71%/6.38% drop from maximum 2nd gen performance.

Additionally, since even the best Brady can't reach Ricken!Laurent's Mag, it makes more sense to judge him against himself- most good Bradys get a Mag mod of 0, 1 or 2 from their dad. The best case Brady for Mag has 93, so he's actually only 5.38% worse than optimum.

Do you want to reset over that much relative performance? It's your call. If time or aesthetics are factors, maybe you don't. If you do decide to reset again, swing by The Pairing Thread to make sure your plan is solid enough for your tastes so you don't find out about something else you overlooked much later.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Maybe. Maybe not.

The title of this thread is "best"- but Awakening's metagame is a game of good and better, not bad and good. So while Vaike!Brady may be one of the worst Bradys, he's still got 51 Str as a Berserker/47 Mag as a Sage. Compared to Ricken!Laurent's 52 Mag and Vaike!Gerome's 57 Str, he's only down 10.53% from optimal 2nd gen Str and 9.62% from optimal 2nd gen Mag, which isn't actually that bad. Once you add LB, Rally, Agg and a forged Brave, he's at 99/105 Str and 88/94 Mag, a 5.71%/6.38% drop from maximum 2nd gen performance.

Additionally, since even the best Brady can't reach Ricken!Laurent's Mag, it makes more sense to judge him against himself- most good Bradys get a Mag mod of 0, 1 or 2 from their dad. The best case Brady for Mag has 93, so he's actually only 5.38% worse than optimum.

Do you want to reset over that much relative performance? It's your call. If time or aesthetics are factors, maybe you don't. If you do decide to reset again, swing by The Pairing Thread to make sure your plan is solid enough for your tastes so you don't find out about something else you overlooked much later.

reset? i haven't even started the file

i simply plan all my pairings ahead of time

For starters, no-one really has any business ending as a Swordmaster. They're outclassed in everything that matters to them by Assassins, and everyone that has Swordmaster also has Assassin. I mean, maybe if you were dead-set on using Amatsu or the Sol Katti, but Amatsu can't hit anything worth a damn (and Ragnell is a thing for 1-2 range swords. Levin swords are, too, but... *shudder*), and the Sol Katti is... well, gimmicky at best, and unreliable at worst. GK Sully is a bad idea. GK isn't that great of a class, especially for Sully because of mod clash. Owain really wants to go magical; with Lissa's mods, Owain only has a few fathers who can give him a positive STR mod (Vaike, Gregor, Stahl, and the Avatar) for +2 STR (okay, +3 from the Avatar) at best, versus a maximum magic of +5 (or even +7 from the Avatar). Really, though, Awakening's metagame evolves so rapidly, and there's so many options for different builds (especially the children), that what are considered the "best" builds is incredibly subject to change. The sheer size of The Pairing Thread is a testament to this.

Edited by Rovan

Maybe. Maybe not.

I kinda can't agree with this - I mean, sure, Vaike!Brady or Vaike!Laurent might be workable, but it ain't something I'd call good by any stretch of the imagination.

I just end all my physical units at Hero or Paladin.

Dark Fliers / Sorcerers for magic to anyone who can, and Sage for those who can't (like Owain).

A few exceptions here or there like a Sniper for longbow / double bow and an Assassin and Warrior or Berserker (if only they were less ugly).

Stay the hell away from Swordmasters Great Knights Griffin Knights among other trash tier classes

I kinda can't agree with this - I mean, sure, Vaike!Brady or Vaike!Laurent might be workable, but it ain't something I'd call good by any stretch of the imagination.

Can they solo RaR3 with the right skills?

If so, I think that's pretty good. Awakening gives you the potential to turn every single unit you have into a lawnmower, they're just different grades of lawnmowers. This is why it's so common to see people respond to pairing questions with "I used X, they worked great for me"- they probably did. Just not as great as they could have been.

Can they solo RaR3 with the right skills?

If so, I think that's pretty good. Awakening gives you the potential to turn every single unit you have into a lawnmower, they're just different grades of lawnmowers. This is why it's so common to see people respond to pairing questions with "I used X, they worked great for me"- they probably did. Just not as great as they could have been.

I personally think that has zero relevance whatsoever to me - the mod clash and poor inheritance is what really sells to me. Also, I can't see things the way you do, because it's a bit too soft for my tastes.

Edited by Levant Caprice

I personally think that has zero relevance whatsoever to me - the mod clash and poor inheritance is what really sells to me. Also, I can't see things the way you do, because it's a bit too soft for my tastes.

Wait, if it sells to you, does that mean it appeals to you?

Here's another way to look at it: it's impossible to find a set of pairings that makes it impossible to clear S.Apo with a 0% chance of death, assuming the player's tactics are sound and there are no other restrictions on preparation.

Basically, "bad" pairings don't exist- only ones that are much worse than the alternatives.

Wait, if it sells to you, does that mean it appeals to you?

In so many words, that's what I'd consider when figuring out which parings are bad. "Appeals" doesn't quite sound right to me.

Here's another way to look at it: it's impossible to find a set of pairings that makes it impossible to clear S.Apo with a 0% chance of death, assuming the player's tactics are sound and there are no other restrictions on preparation.

Basically, "bad" pairings don't exist- only ones that are much worse than the alternatives.

Nice try, but I'm unimpressed by your logic. Again.

Edited by Levant Caprice