Branching Chapters, Side Quests and Multiple Endings in Fire Emblem

Knight

I'm a big fan of non-linear games and games that allow for different options depending on how you play or your accomplishments. Part of the reason I like the GBA FEs is because of all the side quests and branching chapters (I think Thracia had them too but I haven't played it yet). I also liked that there were alternate endings depending on your actions in FE6 and how in FE7 you could find out more about Nergal if you did certain side quests correctly. I think that these things should come back in future Fire Emblem games and perhaps even an entire game that is focused around multiple paths and endings, it'll make for even more replayability. What is the forum's opinion on these things, do you like them? Do you want them back?

BTW, I know Awakening had side quests but they were just sorta given to you.

Edited by Knight

Yeah, I was surprised that FE7 and FE8 gave so many possible character endings, but RD didn't. RD had just a small handful of alternate endings despite a huge cast. :/ This was one of the few flaws I found in the game though. Although what it DOES do nicely in terms of replay value is change things up a tad in a second playthrough.

But side quests, branching chapters, and multiple endings for a bunch of characters was one of the positive things in the GBA games, imo, and I'd love to see them again.

I definitely want them back. Especially a "split" story like in FE8. I loved it there and I would love it again. It would be even more interesting if in one case you play as a lord in the middle of a war and the other path would follow some civilians-turned-soldiers on the same or the other side. More perspectives!

Yeah I understand what you mean about awakening side quest you don't have to do any extra things only beat a chapter or have rank s. I really want to see all them in one multiple routes and various side quests affect the endings. Like maybe in a fire emblem 4 remake you get to learn Alvis's and Deirdre's relation as siblings more which could be through extra chapters revolving around Deirdre and alter gen 1 ending. Or when Celice speaks with the ghost parents that could trigger a side quest which explains Alvis bringing the lopt empire back in detail and cause a different ending to gen 2.

I think a better question would be does anyone not want to see branching chapters and side quests? It's more content in the game and more reasons to play the game. If it's done well I can't imagine why anyone would say no to wanting it in. Of course the key phrase there is If it's done well. Branching paths and alternate side quests are more work on the developers and it's the kind of work that won't be appreciated by a large portion of the people who play the game. The people around here are the exception, the kind of people who will gladly play a Fire Emblem game multiple times. But most people don't, they'll only play it once so from the developers perspective there is really very little to be gained by making an entire alternate story. It can be a lot of work for very little reward.

As someone who is curently replaying fe11 to kill everyone off to get the gaidens, i would have to agree with this, as long as the gaiden requirements are a liffle less stupid than in that game..