Dark Souls 1 Class Challenge

Tryhard

Hoo boy, that was a fight. Just a video of the Ornstein & Smough fight here, and it took above 30 attempts. It's not easy even if you know the movesets, and I am not the greatest at knowing boss movesets to be honest. As far as I know, I only saw two people on youtube using the deprived class challenge that uploaded videos of them beating them like this - and I think both got a +15 Club early to do it. I realized that I would be doing jack point shit for damage, so it was Red Tearstone Ring time, and time to follow the first rule of Dark Souls, "just don't get hit." De-equipped the plank shield since it's useless and swapped the Wolf Ring for Havel's Ring - if only to be able to have a better roll recovery (?).

At the start, I get four hits on Ornstein - I knew the third hit would stagger him. I saw Smough didn't seem to be doing his lunge attack, or well, heard, as usually I can tell, so that's a lot of damage early on that I got. You can really cheese Smough's AI - he often either jumps back (more likely) or another attack if you run towards him, I don't know if it's getting in his vicinity or what but if you do this you can ravage Ornstein as he backs away. Downside is that sometimes he might charge (from what I've seen, and in the past, it's not very likely but it does happen) and then you're kinda boned. You'll also see Ornstein get confused on the boss door for a while - due to the Royal Sentinels outside that I always pull running up to the fog door. Splitting the two up is really the key to taking down either one of them, but I like to focus on Ornstein especially since I know Super Smough much better. Ornstein goes down pretty quickly due to them both staying apart.

I'm not sure Charcoal Pine Resin did anything noteworthy to Super Smough (edit: Actually, I think Smough is weak to fire along with Ornstein) but I figured I would keep it on anyway. I try to be smart with my stamina where I can but there are a couple close calls. I did this without the favor and protection ring so I don't know how much it would have helped. Using the pillars on Super Smough is great when he does his charge attack, but I wanted his slams so I could do a running attack and get out of there. This part took much longer, but I wasn't going to risk it. I get him into a groove at one point where he's just doing the slams. I don't bother attacking when he does the hammer left-to-right swings, but if you do get close to him (i.e touching up against him) as far as I know he can't hit you. When I missed a running attack later on, I thought I blew it but I had just enough stamina to roll through his swing. Then he did his buttslam (pretty late, too, and surprisingly, only once). That thing has a ridiculous range so two rolls are required. The fight took slightly over four minutes, though I skipped the cutscene. And yeah, the club has a horrible moveset for this fight.

Lordvessel get, I'M GETTING MY +15 CLUB NOW

if anyone complains I didn't get the Leo Ring I will murder you

Edited by Tryhard

As I said elsewhere:

some people actually prefer super ornstein due to the fact that all of his moves can't hit you if you stay under his legs and roll correctly except his new buttslam (actually, I think he has a sweep, but I've barely seen it), which isn't even as good as super smough's. I actually might've found him easier too, but I dislike attempting to kill Smough first since if you don't keep an eye on Ornstein in the first stage he can easily kill you. Mega Ornstein's a lot tougher to figure out, which is why people think he's harder... but he's not too bad, actually. Though at range he's an ass.

I might rush through the game with another character under the same conditions and do the super ornstein fight as well at some point (that and I haven't done super ornz in a while so I might be talking trash)

• 6 months later...

You thought I was done with this, huh? I kinda was.

It's a pity I can't join covenants, otherwise I would get the Dark Wood Grain Ring now and never take it off. But just to be fancy, we're doing the Four Kings first of the four Lord Souls, just so I have the possibility of joining the Darkwraiths, even though I'm not going to. What I did do was get the Very Large Ember from New Londo and then grind chunks until I got a sweet little +15 Club. Now it has a whopping 182 base damage. The plank shield is relatively useless now and I still have it at +10.

Sif is an annoying fight when I really can't get hit by any of his sword attacks - he drained a lot of my life just from his jumping around that does minor damage usually. I apologise for all the whiffage, but this fight is not simple when you're using a rather slow weapon like the club - aside from get under him and you'll usually get one or two hits in. Look away at the end if you don't want to see sad dog.

Four Kings is a different matter - I need to have the Red Tearstone Ring because this fight is a DPS race, which means that one hit and I'm dead. You also must wear the Covenant of Artorias as your other ring that you get from beating Sif. I'm not the greatest at fighting the Four Kings, so I had to learn their moveset a lot more. The most annoying moves they have are the slow projectile that chases you, you can either run away (and waste time as the next one is closer to respawning), or kite it around the king you're fighting, it's very annoying. The other ones are the grab and the explosion - both of these you need to roll back at least twice in order to dodge. Their AI sometimes has a tendency of spamming these moves, which really fucks you all up.

Sif: 0:00

Four Kings: 5:44

expect the next update in six months or something i guess

Edited by Tryhard

Fairly standard fights up to Bed of Chaos here, and then I do Priscilla at the end just because. I use save and quit on the Bed of Chaos because fuck that fight, and somehow manage to live on that final section by rolling into the attacks? I dunno.
Sorry about the framerate on the Centipede Demon fight, it's always like that for me. Also get hit at the start of the Priscilla fight like an idiot.
Demon Firesage: 0:00
Centipede Demon: 1:25
Bed of Chaos: 3:23
Crossbreed Priscilla: 5:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IGSRdDDLO4&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=Kelsper

Edited by Tryhard