• Yes, but only lords
    • Yes, both lords and others
    • No
    • Don't care

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. Demigods are the children of mortals and gods, which neither of those are.

But you're on the right track. And I'll just say that I love how Yune took the form of a little birdy.

I guess this makes Tiki a demi-god since she is the daughter of Naga who does have divinity associated with her. Unless Grima and Naga are not gods like what was mentioned before in this thread.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Tiki#Profile

Except for that she loves Mario Kart. :3

I assume this comment has something to do with the Mario Kart connection that nets you the Emblem Lance. But what does it have to do with Elimine? Does she appear to give it to you and directly reference Mario Kart? I find the idea of an ancient Fire Emblem Saint enjoying aggressive Nintendo racing quite amusing.

Edited by Jotari

I assume this comment has something to do with the Mario Kart connection that nets you the Emblem Lance. But what does it have to do with Elimine? Does she appear to give it to you a directly reference Mario Kart? I find the idea of an ancient Fire Emblem Saint enjoying aggressive Nintendo racing quite amusing.

Yeah I don't think it's canon, but amusing nonetheless...

I assume this comment has something to do with the Mario Kart connection that nets you the Emblem Lance. But what does it have to do with Elimine? Does she appear to give it to you and directly reference Mario Kart? I find the idea of an ancient Fire Emblem Saint enjoying aggressive Nintendo racing quite amusing.

Almost as amusing as a certain Goddess "smashing" everyone in a fighting game.

But yeah, that was a nod to Mario Kart, since you are able to connect FE to Mario Kart: DD. It was a joke more than anything. lol

As long as it doesn't lead to the JRPG cliche of "Oh no, it turns out the god is evil, let's kill it!" then I'm fine with it. I said no to demi-god lord because I fear it might become this sort of thing but if not then I'm fine with that.

I'm still waiting for the inevitable Zelda game that does this.

On one hand it's really cliche, but I really do like that trope.

As long as it doesn't lead to the JRPG cliche of "Oh no, it turns out the god is evil, let's kill it!" then I'm fine with it. I said no to demi-god lord because I fear it might become this sort of thing but if not then I'm fine with that.

They already did that.

Sure, why not? An FE with an actual pantheon would be wiggy and nifty for narrative purposes. You have classes based on religious professions, why not do something with them?

I don't think I've ever heard someone being called a demi-god just because a gods speaks to them or chooses to speak through them. Usually it's something like being a mortal with partial divine parentage or a minor deity of sort.

I guess a appropiate term for Micaiah would be more something like a priest, a prophet or Yune's private secretary.

Edit: Dang, I got ninja'd... by twelve minutes... I really need to stop making so many rewrites for something that amounts to 3 lines in the end.

For what it's worth, the best terms for Miccy would either be vessel or prophet (in the Abrahamic sense).

Well, iirc, wasn't St. Elimine a goddess? :x

No. She was just a human religious figure and hero of the Scouring. It'd be kind of silly to make a god a saint. Closest to that would be St. Heim, who, as I stated earlier, could be considered a demigod. Even then, there's a pretty big gap between gods and demigods in classical mythology.

For what it's worth, the best terms for Miccy would either be vessel or prophet (in the Abrahamic sense).

No. She was just a human religious figure and hero of the Scouring. It'd be kind of silly to make a god a saint. Closest to that would be St. Heim, who, as I stated earlier, could be considered a demigod. Even then, there's a pretty big gap between gods and demigods in classical mythology.

IMO the whole major-holy-blood gang from FE are already demigods in the human-god hybrid sense. They aren't ordinary humans, and it's not just the weapon that makes them so. The point could've come across better in the actual game as opposed to infodumps in art books but the whole awesome-stats thing isn't purely a gameplay mechanic. They're just flat-out superior to regular folks.

IMO the whole major-holy-blood gang from FE are already demigods in the human-god hybrid sense. They aren't ordinary humans, and it's not just the weapon that makes them so. The point could've come across better in the actual game as opposed to infodumps in art books but the whole awesome-stats thing isn't purely a gameplay mechanic. They're just flat-out superior to regular folks.

I guess that is the case. I mean, I haven't read translated text that states that they are really that powerful but that would at least explain why the final chapter has Leaf telling Jeane that "anybody not of Crusader blood should not be out here fighting.”

I guess that this is just Leaf's personal opinion and not an actual rule in Celice's army but it does imply that there is one hell of a gap between those with holy blood and those without. ...although Leaf himself obvisiously wasn't very impressive-looking in FE5.

Edited by BrightBow

^

I don't think Anna is a literal "Goddess". I would say she is more something like the Tom Bombadil of Fire Emblem.

Of course now after Awakening, she is only the Officer Jenny from Fire Emblem.

Edited by BrightBow

To the crusaders/holy blood units, I'd definitely agree they could have been a little clearer in the game. IIRC, they said something about being imbued with the power of the gods, which was reflected in the growth boosts and ability to use the holy weapons, but that's about it. Supports could have been useful for going into a little more detail about what exactly they meant.

It also directly affects growth rates which implies they're actually more powerful than regular folk without the weapon but the fact that growth rates are invisible kind of makes it a lost implication.

^

I don't think Anna is a literal "Goddess". I would say she is more something like the Tom Bombadil of Fire Emblem.

Well she is the boss of Apotheosis which means to make something god. Though the title might be referring to your own army for overcoming the challenge. Then again the Japanese title is The Strongest One's name from what I can remember.

Edited by Jotari

I am all for using religion for world building purposes and explanations for the more powerfull weapons, but I prefer if godly elements stayed in the background. Having gods as enemies or allies usually means the power struggles/politics are less important for the story. I think those parts tend to be the most interesting so I don't want to see them shoved aside for another God.

Edited by Sasori

I suppose another in-game proof of the holy blood strength would be the weapon level bonus.

As for Anna, I think Nintendo making her the boss of apotheosis was more a tongue-in-cheek reference to the jokes about her. I don't think it was meant to be especially serious.

I am all for using religion for world building purposes and explanations for the more powerfull weapons, but I prefer if godly elements stayed in the background. Having gods as enemies or allies usually means the power struggles/politics are less important for the story. I think those parts tend to be the most interesting so I don't want to see them shoved aside for another God.

The gods weren't directly involved but Genealogy of Holy War did a pretty good job of intertwining the politics with the divine.

You can still have that with divine beings and having things like lords and nobles jockying for the gods approval.

My main problem with the gods becoming more forefront (note: Not intangible or distant, just forefront) is that I tend to see them on an entirely different tier of existence and, therefore, untouchable by a 'mere mortal'. In other words, by my rules, Ike's battle against Ashera should have gone something like this...

Ike: Asheruna! I am here to free all the people from your curse!

Asheruna: Oh? *flicks finger*

Ike: OH DEAR GOD WHY DID YOU TURN MY BLOOD INTO BOILING ACID?!?! ARRRRRRGGGGG!!!

Or...

Ike: Asheruna! I am here to free all the people from your curse, AND THIS TIME I BROUGHT AN ANTI-ACID SHIELD!

Asheruna: Oh?

Ike: HA! *attacks and misses*

Little gnome standing where Asheruna once was: Hello Ike. I was instructed to carry a message to you. The goddess has decided to teleport to the opposite end of the world instead of bothering to fight a person wielding the only weapons that could, somehow, harm her. I was left here to deliver this message as well as a mocking jig. *starts dancing* Have fun chasing me down!

Ike: Mrglegrrr....

FYI my power-tier kinda goes like this.

Absolute tier: Divine/Light/Dark Gods

Godly Tier: Devil/Satan/whatever

Gods with power over a specific elemental domain

Gods with power over a specific non-elemental domain

High spirits responsible for maintaining the functions of the world

Spirits: Great spirits with immense power to shape the world

Angels

Humans blessed by the gods themselves

Demigods

Demons

Normal spirits

Fey/lesser spirits

Mortals: Archmages/bishops.

Combat-trained kings/queens.

Generals.

Special animals.

Mages/clerics

Normal soldiers/mercenaries/trained fighters

Bandits

Normal people

Undead

Politicians

Non-special animals

Most other things.

Lawyers.

Beings in the same tier can beat each other (though fighting higher-ups is, obviously, harder) but are near-hopeless against beings of a higher tier. Additionally exceptions and variations exist depending on situations and the like (A normal person could probably beat an imp despite the latter being a demon for example).

Edited by Snowy_One

You can still have that with divine beings and having things like lords and nobles jockying for the gods approval.

My main problem with the gods becoming more forefront (note: Not intangible or distant, just forefront) is that I tend to see them on an entirely different tier of existence and, therefore, untouchable by a 'mere mortal'. In other words, by my rules, Ike's battle against Ashera should have gone something like this...

Ike: Asheruna! I am here to free all the people from your curse!

Asheruna: Oh? *flicks finger*

Ike: OH DEAR GOD WHY DID YOU TURN MY BLOOD INTO BOILING ACID?!?! ARRRRRRGGGGG!!!

Or...

Ike: Asheruna! I am here to free all the people from your curse, AND THIS TIME I BROUGHT AN ANTI-ACID SHIELD!

Asheruna: Oh?

Ike: HA! *attacks and misses*

Little gnome standing where Asheruna once was: Hello Ike. I was instructed to carry a message to you. The goddess has decided to teleport to the opposite end of the world instead of bothering to fight a person wielding the only weapons that could, somehow, harm her. I was left here to deliver this message as well as a mocking jig. *starts dancing* Have fun chasing me down!

Ike: Mrglegrrr....

FYI my power-tier kinda goes like this.

Absolute tier: Divine/Light/Dark Gods

Godly Tier: Devil/Satan/whatever

Gods with power over a specific elemental domain

Gods with power over a specific non-elemental domain

High spirits responsible for maintaining the functions of the world

Spirits: Great spirits with immense power to shape the world

Angels

Humans blessed by the gods themselves

Demigods

Demons

Normal spirits

Fey/lesser spirits

Mortals: Archmages/bishops.

Combat-trained kings/queens.

Generals.

Special animals.

Mages/clerics

Normal soldiers/mercenaries/trained fighters

Bandits

Normal people

Undead

Politicians

Non-special animals

Most other things.

Lawyers.

Beings in the same tier can beat each other (though fighting higher-ups is, obviously, harder) but are near-hopeless against beings of a higher tier. Additionally exceptions and variations exist depending on situations and the like (A normal person could probably beat an imp despite the latter being a demon for example).

I think it's implied Ike's battle with Ashera would have ended up much like that had Yune not been there. It was less Ike taking down god and more like half a god taking down the other half using Ike as a funnel for her power.

^

Tom Bombadil comparison is apt. Even after Awakening. Shes just more ubiquitous in that game. Shes more or less an avatar for the RNG. How the Annas tend to show up at random on the maps, and in the Outrealms, and just everywhere..."Those are my sisters." Yeah im not buying it. Those Annas are all the same Anna. :Y