The Mouth of Truth

super45

I'm really confused by the presence of what appears to be the Italian Mouth of Truth in the trailer in the form of a rock monster. (http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/50/98/4e/boca-della-verita.jpg)

I think this could be some kind of antagonist boss monster, like Grima/Formortiis/etc. Alternatively, it's presence could could mean a link between the world of fire emblem and the real world. There's already a clear divide of East vs West, and this could go into the real world as well. I don't particulary want this to be true though.

Another possible is it as a symbol. I think what my friend PliskinIroquois posted on reddit is an excellent theory, so I'll post that here.

" The thing that stuck out to me the most were the the Mouth of Truth, and three characters: the dancer lady (who oddly looks quite similar to Lucina; same hair style, just longer/lighter blue, and same face shape with different eyes; but that's probably just due to having Awakening's artist on board), the blonde hair guy, and the brown-hair dude in red armor the blonde hair guy was fighting near the end.

The blonde hair dude reminds me of Camus (so we'll call him that for this example) and I think this is where the Mouth of Truth relates. The Mouth is known as a lie detector; rather, a symbol of untruthfulness. So this plot is most likely going to be concerning itself with deception and secrets. The three characters we see at the end (dancer, Camus, red-armor dude with brown hair): I think there may be a love triangle involved between these three. As we see the two men about to fight, we see images of the dancer frantically dancing back and forth, pretty much her actions telling me "I don't know what to do, I'm running out of time". She obviously knows something important that could irrevocably change the future of these two men, and maybe even something else on a much grander scale. We all know the Camus archetypes to be of "men behind masks", changing alliances, fighting for other causes, etc., and that's how I think he relates to the Mouth of Truth. The dancer relates to the Mouth of Truth as well because she either knows something vital, or she may be forced into a plot of deception and can't figure her way out of it. The part at 1:30 symbolizes this because we see her drowning underwater and being choked by some spirit (so this is most likely a visual representation of how she feels, not actually happening); the spirit, I think, is herself, because it's herself that's stopping her from developing her character further until she's able to do the right thing, (whatever that is)."

It's strange for Fire Emblem to contain things from real life. I don't think it's happened before (with the exception of names) What do you all think? Whatever the outcome, I NEED this game.

That is very interesting. The design of that monster took me by surprise as well but I didn't realize it was designed after something that actually exists!

I just did a quick scan of the Wikipedia page and I'm sort of getting an Ashera vibe. Could it be some sort of god of judgment?

That is very interesting. The design of that monster took me by surprise as well but I didn't realize it was designed after something that actually exists!

I just did a quick scan of the Wikipedia page and I'm sort of getting an Ashera vibe. Could it be some sort of god of judgment?

When you mentioned judgement, I had another idea. Maybe this creature, if it is a god, has been awoken by the battling of the armies? From what we saw it was very powerful, and seemed to break up the battlefield, so maybe both forces will have to patch up their differences to defeat it before it destroys the world?

When you mentioned judgement, I had another idea. Maybe this creature, if it is a god, has been awoken by the battling of the armies? From what we saw it was very powerful, and seemed to break up the battlefield, so maybe both forces will have to patch up their differences to defeat it before it destroys the world?

Again, very Ashera. I just can't tell if it's working with one side or against both of them. At first I sort of assumed it came with the Pegasus knight like a summon, but knowing the stories behind it I do think it might be possible it ends up being awakened by the negative energies of war or something.

That stone monster creeped me out. :P I had no idea it was based on something from real life though. Interesting. I really can't imagine what kind of role it will play, though it does seem like it will be similar to baddies like Grima and Formortiis.

Credits to the dude over at /feg/, but someone made the point that the mask looks the same as a mask stone structure shown in Gaiden. A bit far fetched without any other evidence, but if so, could it be set in Valentia/Valm?

2ad6eb8bd28f57edd829468509e7fbd7.png

Edited by Monde

I'm actually hoping for it to be a type of generic unit, both ally and enemy. Not necessarely a class... like the phantoms in Sacred Stones, or something similar.

BY THE WAY, the Mouth of Truth reinforces the fact that this new red nation takes from Ancient Rome, for it is a Roman statue placed in an actual Ancient Roman castle. Take a look -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocca_della_Verit%C3%A0

Sadly I'm sure this new creature won't actually reference the cool myths about getting your hand stuck in its mouth if you're a liar, but it'd be awesome if it did.

Edited by CrimeanRoyalKnight