No Pair-Up just makes things THAT more interesting...!

Junkhead

No Pairup is nice for Hard and Apo, but I don't really like it elsewhere. Not being able to pass units in chains cuts down quite a bit on maneuverability, which gets on my nerves during later chapters and certain DLC maps.

No Pairup is nice for Hard and Apo, but I don't really like it elsewhere. Not being able to pass units in chains cuts down quite a bit on maneuverability, which gets on my nerves during later chapters and certain DLC maps.

I allow Rescue-like uses for Pair Up, though. Don't see why not. The reason Pair Up sucks is how unfair and easy it makes the game. I'm also not allowing myself to us Tonics and only limit myself to certain Renown Items, although I do use the better ones for Post-Game.

I didn't use Pair Up at all for my first few runs, and sparingly for later runs, too. It wasn't really until my first Lunatic run that I used the mechanic regularly.

I allow Rescue-like uses for Pair Up, though. Don't see why not. The reason Pair Up sucks is how unfair and easy it makes the game. I'm also not allowing myself to us Tonics and only limit myself to certain Renown Items, although I do use the better ones for Post-Game.

I don't want to be that guy but... What difficulty have you been playing on?

I wasn't actually serious in my comment in case you addressed me @Czar_Yoshi though I doubt that it's actually L+ because that's really hard to LTC even with pairup and he said that he did something efficiency-ish (he also said that he enjoyed it so I'd exclude L+ no pairup LTC). It'd really be awesome if he'd manage L+ with no pairup though and playlog it. also only up to 20 world map buyables and 3 forges allowed for further pain challenge!

I'm currently playing on HM. If I were playing on Lunatic (or +, which, I never unlocked...), Pair Up would probably be fair play. Last time I played, I was taking it easy, the game seemed fun and challenging and the enemy was probably still strong despite Pair Up bonuses. If you're playing HM, I think this is the way it can get anywhere close to it's namesake. I think it starts showing itself past Midgame.

Pairup is very definitely fair play on Lunatic(+).

All of the difficulty modes are actually balanced around you using it, but due to other things (namely the exp formula for ingame and the fact that we have enemy data for postgame), the difficulty becomes wildly off balance and removing pairup to try to fix that seems like a good idea. It works best in Hard, of course- what Hard is actually balanced around is playing with a full team and keeping them all the same level- do that and pairup, Sol/Nos, and even Braves (due to attaining A rank much later, and having lower Atk) will stay in check and not break the game. Lowmanning is the true breaker of FE13.

Incidentally, Hard with no pairup and a full team isn't that much more difficult than Hard with pairup and a full team. There is a difficulty increase, but it's not major.

I enjoy the feeling of having units be something useful for themselves, even if sometimes another interferes when they have higher support bonuses. "Not that different"? You can potentially have someone like Vaike, Kellam and Frederick double a whole lot faster (if, at all) by being Paired Up to someone for Spd...

You know what sucks? When you want to use a few characters here and there, and realizing you can't if you're not going to grind and take your time to feed each of them. And the team in mind is probably like 11 max...without counting children.

You know what sucks? When you want to use a few characters here and there, and realizing you can't if you're not going to grind and take your time to feed each of them. And the team in mind is probably like 11 max...without counting children.

Exactly. It is seriously annoying to try and spread out the XP evenly among everyone in the first half of the game, especially since I don't bother with any children besides Lucina and Morgan. Aside from them and Cherche everyone I use is recruited by Chapter 8 (Gregor). I run a full team too, so I practically have to grind early on if I don't want to use Pair-Up. Speaking of that it is obscenely overpowered, although the adjacency bonuses are actually really fun to use.

I should probably try that. There was a user, bearclaw, who did that. He quit at like Ch.16 or something, but wasn't doing so bad with a strong Chrom, Panne & Wyvern Ronku (not his full team, but main powerhouses).

I knew of pairups when I started, but didn't think of it as a reliable tactic (losing a unit for a few stat points didn't seem that effective), but after having trouble early on, someone suggested that I do it more often. Now I do it all the time.

I am currently about to start Ch.14. The thing has been running smooth, haven't taken too many turns in chapters and my characters are all getting great level-ups...except for LIBRA, who's gotten about 3-4 level-ups with 1-3 stats...of which, were HP/Luck/Res.... .-. I re-classed Frederick to a Griffon Rider, and he's looking pretty good:

HP: I forgot

Str: 19

Skill: 21

Spd: 19

Luck: Forgot

Def: 14

Res: I forgot

...versus, (Wyvern Lord) Panne, his to-be wife. Currently A-support with each other. Just promoted her:

HP: 50+

Str: 30 (+2)

Skill: 27

Spd: 28-29

Luck: Forgot

Def: 24-25

Res: I don't know