Character specific gaiden chapters/paralogues

Mighty Kamina

How would you guys feel if in FE14 there were gaiden chapters/paralouges you got for keeping certain characters alive? How I imagine this could be handles is like this: Say for example, in FE13 (Just using FE13 characters as an example for this idea) you would unlock a paralogue for keeping Virion, Stahl, Lon'qu, Cherche, Gregor, and Gaius alive after chapter 17 (Throwing out a random chapter number). The gaiden/paralogue's story would revolve around them and only them. (You could still bring other units. Just not the lord.)

I feel this would be a decent way to make the supporting cast more relevant to the story, and hey, perhaps these gaidens/paralouges could have an effect on a future chapter or two during the main campaign. EX: Finishing the gaiden chapter/paralogue would open another route in a later chapter, like bringing down a bridge on a chapter where you would otherwise have to make your way across a canyon or a lake.

Edited by Monado Boy

I like this idea.

Like very view characters get any characterisation outside of the main 4 or 5.I mean even the Paralouges focused on certain characters(e.g. Donny) had little characterisation for them.So I would love to see this.

I think it could be quite interesting, although I'd prefer if you had the ability to include a few other units solely for fighting, just in case those characters weren't really leveled up. Using FE13 as an example, i never really leveled up Gaius, nor did i use Virion much as I preferred mages using wind tomes over bows, which would mean having those two forced and only 4 other people, even if they were part of my prime fighting force, could be quite bad.

I'm all for the further development of minor characters, but I'm content to have that through the support system, which Awakening did exceptionally well in developing in my opinion.

I can see it happening as a counter to the imminent dramatic decrease in the amount of Paralogues there will be due to the lack of children characters (or so i really really hope) and add some weight in where it would otherwise be lost.

How would you guys feel if in FE14 there were gaiden chapters/paralouges you got for keeping certain characters alive? How I imagine this could be handles is like this: Say for example, in FE13 (Just using FE13 characters as an example for this idea) you would unlock a paralogue for keeping Virion, Stahl, Lon'qu, Cherche, Gregor, and Gaius alive after chapter 17 (Throwing out a random chapter number). The gaiden/paralogue's story would revolve around them and only them. (You wouldn't be able to bring anyone else to the chapter)

First of all, the Lord character is forced for every map, so they'd have to have a unit slot too. Secondly, what would happen if you didn't bother to train those characters up? I doubt that most players would be happy at having to spend ages training up a bunch of units just to be able to complete a single optional chapter.

First of all, the Lord character is forced for every map, so they'd have to have a unit slot too. Secondly, what would happen if you didn't bother to train those characters up? I doubt that most players would be happy at having to spend ages training up a bunch of units just to be able to complete a single optional chapter.

Firstly the whole point of these hypothetical gaiden chapters/paralogues would be to put the lord out of the spotlight for awhile, so the lord would prohibited from taking part in the gaiden/paralogue. (Although, I now do agree that other units should be able to be brought along, just the important characters functioning as lords for the gaiden/paralogue)

Secondly, yes that could be an issue, but it's sort the same with the children paralogues in FE13. You aren't forced to pair-up characters and get their children, just as you wouldn't be forced to train the characters used in the gaiden/paralogue as it would be optional.

Edited by Monado Boy

Firstly the whole point of these hypothetical gaiden chapters/paralogues would be to put the lord out of the spotlight for awhile, so the lord would prohibited from taking part in the gaiden/paralogue.

Secondly, yes that could be an issue, but it's sort the same with the children paralogues in FE13. You aren't forced to pair-up characters and get their children, just as you wouldn't be forced to train the characters used in the gaiden/paralogue as it would be optional.

But these optional paralouges unlock new options for chapter missions, which would naturally annoy some people as they'd feel they HAVE to do it in order to have access to all the options for chapter missions, thus making it no longer feel "optional" to them.

But these optional paralouges unlock new options for chapter missions, which would naturally annoy some people as they'd feel they HAVE to do it in order to have access to all the options for chapter missions, thus making it no longer feel "optional" to them.

True, but think of it as a reward for going out of your way to finish the paralogue. The story chapter that it would effect would still be completely beatable, just you'd be lacking an option.

True, but think of it as a reward for going out of your way to finish the paralogue. The story chapter that it would effect would still be completely beatable, just you'd be lacking an option.

Which would thus annoy people, especially if they didn't know which chapter it'd affect, because, if your like me, you don't always immediately go to do a paralogue when it pops up. Honestly, it'd be better if you had the ability to bring it a few other members of your army for combat purposes, while all the paralogue talking was done by the required party members, much like how Chrom is always the person doing all the talking in every paralogue that there is.

Which would thus annoy people, especially if they didn't know which chapter it'd affect, because, if your like me, you don't always immediately go to do a paralogue when it pops up. Honestly, it'd be better if you had the ability to bring it a few other members of your army for combat purposes, while all the paralogue talking was done by the required party members, much like how Chrom is always the person doing all the talking in every paralogue that there is.

I think you missed it because you quoted my earlier post before I edited it, but I agree it'd be best to be able to bring your other units. Just not the lord.

Edited by Monado Boy

I think you missed it because you quoted my earlier post before I edited it, but I agree it'd be best to be able to bring your other units. Just not the lord.

Then I concede that this would be a very cool idea (though if the MU was the Lord i'd still want to bring them along because MU-bias of "The MU must always join! Always!, as well as always being in either the first or second army slot!").

I think a better requirement for one of said gaidens instead of keeping said units alive, if said units were a combined level of "x", although depending on how you used said units you could just have say, a very overlevelled Stahl and Lon'qu and everyone else at base (although you could probably still beat the chapter). I like the idea of gaidens that make you utilize other options though.