My first Sprites

Armaada J

SO I decided to try my hand at spriting. Rather than make an OC, I decided to make Kirito and Asuna fro SAO, as I recently finished all 14 good episodes of that show, so the subject was fresh in my mind.

Constructive Criticism PLease!!

Mugs for Asuna and Kirito: njvf2CC.png

Battle Sprite for Kirito: yonvvJh.png

The zoom isn't necessary to look at the sprites, not even the battle sprites

There's a lot of missing outline on Asuna, especially where her hair was chopped off. The shading added also makes the hair super chunky.

Kirito is missing his arms, the poor thing. And using MS Paint colors is bad, bad, bad.

K... So, some of your mugs are missing parts. We have some resources and tutorials for those.

Also may want to revise those colors. They're very over saturated and unpleasing to the eye. I would recommend using similar colors from the base Fire Emblem mugs. Think that would improve it quite a bit.

THanks for the tips on the mugs. It was my first time splicing, so Im glad for the input! On the other hand, any advice specifically forr the Kirito battle sprite?

...much like the mugs try to avoid MS paint colors, better to use the GBA battle sprite colors closest to what you want.

Right now he looks pretty flat as all the black color is one shade which gives it no depth/shading. Try looking at the alt Hero Linus, or alt Swordmaster Lloyd from FE7 for more of an example on how to shade coats like that... And just general FE shading style.

Also, check out the tutorials here for tips on colors/shading and line work on Pixel Art in general... As the same concepts of shading in pixel art apply to game sprites and other art.

x2MHaKx.png

Use the BBcode link imgur provides so we can see it without having to go to a different page.

It looks much better than your first two. Good improvement!

I'd say the left side of his neck under his chin needs better shading and the tendon in his neck is a little too pronounced.

Nothing else I see right off.

x2MHaKx.png

Use the BBcode link imgur provides so we can see it without having to go to a different page.

It looks much better than your first two. Good improvement!

I'd say the left side of his neck under his chin needs better shading and the tendon in his neck is a little too pronounced.

Nothing else I see right off.

Thank you all! Wouldnt have been able to improve if it werent for your advice. And yeah, the shading on the neck was difficult, cuz I used Innes' head, and that part of his neck is covered by his collar, so i had a huge white spot to fill in. And thanks for the BBcode tip, will use that from now on.

I would recommend color wise choosing something different than the red for the shoulder armor. It clashes a fair bit with the green you have chosen...

Perhaps a silver or brown shoulder piece would make sense?

----

For more on thinking about colors and palletes... Here's a great tutorial I found recently on Pixel Art colors. Try and keep these tips in mind while using the GBA palletes or even delving into your own colors once you feel more confident.

Check it out here.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

I would recommend color wise choosing something different than the red for the shoulder armor. It clashes a fair bit with the green you have chosen...

Perhaps a silver or brown shoulder piece would make sense?

----

For more on thinking about colors and palletes... Here's a great tutorial I found recently on Pixel Art colors. Try and keep these tips in mind while using the GBA palletes or even delving into your own colors once you feel more confident.

Check it out here.

Thanks for the link, it looks really helpful!

I made another character for Terminator's hack, so I figured I'd post it here aswell.

WRYzyFu.pngFIuRsCl.png

I had to make a second outfit because another character in his hack had a similar one. What do you all think? Also, I think colors are still an issue for me, so what software do spriters normally use? I'm using Paint at the moment, and I know for a fact there are better options.

Edited by Forged Thoron

MS Paint is honestly one of the most used program. I've been spriting for... 8 years now, I think? and I still use Paint, although I've (very slowly) been getting accustomed to using other programs. Other options are paint.net and I think Paint Tool Sai? Not so sure on that one. And if you're willing to shell out the cash, Photoshop is an incredible program to sprite in, especially with the glorious layers that I abuse the fuck out of.

Really there is no perfect spriting program, so it's honestly a matter of preference. MS Paint is honestly my favorite program to sprite in, though I'm starting to really enjoy spriting in Photoshop as well~

Edited by Kon

MS Paint is honestly one of the most used program. I've been spriting for... 8 years now, I think? and I still use Paint, although I've (very slowly) been getting accustomed to using other programs. Other options are paint.net and I think Paint Tool Sai? Not so sure on that one. And if you're willing to shell out the cash, Photoshop is an incredible program to sprite in, especially with the glorious layers that I abuse the fuck out of.

Really there is no perfect spriting program, so it's honestly a matter of preference. MS Paint is honestly my favorite program to sprite in, though I'm starting to really enjoy spriting in Photoshop as well~

Thanks Kon. Since you use MS paint too, how do make sure your colors are right, i.e. not too saturated, and the whole 16 colors thing?

With MS Paint you have to manually keep track of the colors you're using, it doesn't have a color-counter think or anything. The program Usenti does though. And with saturated colors, it's something you would have to have an eye for, though there are some programs that can give you the saturation levels.

• 2 weeks later...

hey pal you're improving pretty nicely. That shoulder is really propped up high, and raven's neck angle doesn't help it much. When you make sprites, try to pose like their pose and ask yourself, "is this uncomfortable?" "is this natural?" etc