1. 1. What color are non royals?

• White
    • Blue
    • Silver
    • Gray
  2. 2. Light magic yay or nay?

• Yay
    • Nay

Just what the poll says. The only herons we see are royals, and the game says stuff about "royal white winged herons". So I found myself wondering if this means only royals are white or not. I'm leaning towards not, maybe the royals are just brighter white. The other two bird tribes don't come in different colors. Hawks are always brown/tan and ravens are always black. But the other options in the poll are there anyway. Anacybele(I can finally spell that) borrowed from real life and said they're blue, like the great blue heron. Idk...and why are Lehran's wings black? Ravens are black...makes no sense. Seriously wtf IS.

Also a headcanon of mine is that they can use light magic. No race/tribe can afford to be completely defenseless. Maybe they just don't use it often and as a result, their galdr is stronger? I'd think that after having their home burnt they would start honing their offensive magic more. There's nothing that suggests they use talons and beaks like the rest of the bird tribe. And light magic isn't too far of a stretch from galdr.

Thoughts?

Lehran's wings are either black or brown, I can't remember clearly.

Well, the Galdr of Sorrow (lower enemy biorhythm to it's trough) is kinda offensive. Useless because it plops them in harms way, though.

Though I do remember a looooooooong time ago when I was an innocent child I had a heron OC who could use Light magic. Forgotten most of everything about her though.

Well, there's a heron in real life called the blue heron, so I personally colored my generic heron sprites blue. But since Lehran's wings are black, they can be that color too, I suppose.

Lehran has dark brown wings, actually :V

0fc6fd587e.png

And the herons are specifically stated to be pacifists, even to the point of being vegetarians, so I doubt they had Light Magic.

Edited by Kon

Oh. I guess I just didn't look at him long enough to notice the hint of brown there. xP

Well, doesn't really matter to me anyway, I colored my herons blue even while knowing Lehran was a different color.

Well, the Galdr of Sorrow (lower enemy biorhythm to it's trough) is kinda offensive. Useless because it plops them in harms way, though.

But seriously, who cares about biorhythm...useless addition imo. Has little to no effect on anything.

And the herons are specifically stated to be pacifists, even to the point of being vegetarians, so I doubt they had Light Magic.

Doesn't mean they can't have some way to defend themselves. I mean, cows and deer and animals like that are peaceful vegetarians, but when they're threatened they will fight back. There is nothing in nature that's entirely defenseless.

But seriously, who cares about biorhythm...useless addition imo. Has little to no effect on anything.

Doesn't mean they can't have some way to defend themselves. I mean, cows and deer and animals like that are peaceful vegetarians, but when they're threatened they will fight back. There is nothing in nature that's entirely defenseless.

Bliss is good for quick grinding if you don't need a second action.

Not to mention rl herons are... large predatory birds.

The heron laguz ARE capable of fighting back using some kind of magic, actually, now that I think about it. Remember the "forbidden magic" that Reyson was about to use to wipe out all the beorc until Tibarn made him stop?

Yep they eat fish...

Reyson: That’s very kind, but my diet… Heh. It’s fairly limited. You know, I used to be disgusted by my thin, frail body. So one time I performed a little experiment. I got all the foods that Tibarn likes–
raw meat, cold fish, insects–and ate them. I ate them all.
Ike: That doesn’t sound good. What happened?
Reyson: I stared death in the face for ten days. You’ve never seen a laguz so green! I guess we herons are just meant to eat fruits and nuts for our entire lives.

​And IIRC that was an ancient galdr

Edited by Kon

I found it kind of odd that the herons didn't think of needing some kind of defense. Like, fast forward to the present day, you see Tibarn guarding the Heron royal family, and at the end of RD they all merge into one kingdom. I feel like that kind of protection would have prevented the heron massacre.

Edited by Radiant head

Reyson: That’s very kind, but my diet… Heh. It’s fairly limited. You know, I used to be disgusted by my thin, frail body. So one time I performed a little experiment. I got all the foods that Tibarn likes–raw meat, cold fish, insects–and ate them. I ate them all.

Ike: That doesn’t sound good. What happened?

Reyson: I stared death in the face for ten days. You’ve never seen a laguz so green! I guess we herons are just meant to eat fruits and nuts for our entire lives.

​And IIRC that was an ancient galdr

RL Herons eat fish is what she was saying. It's a bit odd that the Heron Laguz don't, that considered.

I'm fairly certain it was a ritual of some sort, because he needed an altar.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

Nasir: The heron clan possess no fighting skills. Their tribe survived by living a life of peace and piety within their forest. Unlike other laguz, they never focused on developing their strength for the purposes of combat. Anyone with any knowledge of laguz would have known such a thing. At the very least, the citizens of Begnion would have known this. However, they had lost their leader, and in their grief, they cared little for the truth. They were merely looking for some way to vent their rage and despair. Isn't that true...Apostle?

Why bother developing their combat skills when they never bothered anyone and kept to themselves in their forest? The other bird laguz frequently had scuffles with the beorc since they often took to piracy, especially the Ravens, so they had to have at least some combat prowess. But the Herons were a peaceful race, they literally aren't made for combat. Hell, even being near negative atmospheres take a heavy toll on them since they are incredibly sensitive to that sort of thing.

Yeah, research says that there are no herons that actually eat fruits and nuts. Cranes, which are similar, do though, but they also eat meat.

My guess is that since the other laguz eat meat and such, IS wanted to add a contrasting tribe that's different from the others so they don't all seem similar. Herons look graceful and majestic too, so yeah.

The idea that they would never ever have to defend themselves is really naive.

This.

Monks/bishops/priests in FE are usually pacifists too, but they can use light magic.

There are unused map models for non-royal Herons (and battle models too, but they seemed really unfinished) in FE9, but I can't link to them at the moment.

Well, if the Herons could fight back, the Serenes Massacre wouldn't have been so disastrous... Not all the Herons died in the fire; many were mauled by angry townsfolk who probably had very limited fighting ability.

Edited by VincentASM

There are unused map models for non-royal Herons (and battle models too, but they seemed really unfinished) in FE9, but I can't link to them at the moment.

Well, if the Herons could fight back, the Serenes Massacre wouldn't have been so disastrous... Not all the Herons died in the fire; many were mauled by angry townsfolk who probably had very limited fighting ability.

I think I've seen those unused models.

And I think they might have tried, but they were outnumbered and caught by surprise so they couldn't do much.