Shapeshifters as the character archetypes

Dragoncat

Believe it or not, this has been done once. The bandit brothers that are in just about every game were tiger laguz in RD. Does anybody know the proper term for them/what their names were in their first appearance?

Anyway, would you like more of this? Would you like to see a laguz/manakete/etc Jeigan, Nabarl, or Est? Discuss...

The first bandit twins were Maggie and Rose from FE6, unless there was one in FE5 I was unaware of.

FE10's were Pain and Agony, FE13 had Victor and Vincent, and FE7 had Jasmine and Paul.

I can see a manakete Jeigen or Est, the latter was kinda what Kurthnaga was in FE10, but a manakete/whatever Navarre would be weird, since those are myrmidons in every incarnate. Something not class tied is fine though

Really? Wow I thought the archetype was older than that.

A shapeshifting Navarre could work, they just have to be fast and critical a lot.

I normally consider Navarres "Early myrmidon, usually recruited from the enemy, who comes with a Killing Edge."

I normally consider Navarres "Early myrmidon, usually recruited from the enemy, who comes with a Killing Edge."

This is pretty much every Navarre ever. Even the fem!Navarres in FE6 and FE8 that came apart from the normal variant sort of fit, though each of them had a ShamDao instead. The only exception to that is FE4's Ayra, since she comes with an Iron Blade.

As for other archetypes with non-humans, I think Gotoh might be the best suited. In fact, FE11, if you end up in Chapter 24 {I may have gotten that number wrong, it's been a while} you get a Manakete instead of Gotoh. This may be the only time this happens in the series, but don't quote me on that.

This is pretty much every Navarre ever. Even the fem!Navarres in FE6 and FE8 that came apart from the normal variant sort of fit, though each of them had a ShamDao instead. The only exception to that is FE4's Ayra, since she comes with an Iron Blade.

As for other archetypes with non-humans, I think Gotoh might be the best suited. In fact, FE11, if you end up in Chapter 24 {I may have gotten that number wrong, it's been a while} you get a Manakete instead of Gotoh. This may be the only time this happens in the series, but don't quote me on that.

FE10 piles Laguz Royals on you in the endgame, and FE9 gives you one that destroys all in his path for the last chapter (or second part of the Ashnard fight on Hard or higher).

The original bandit twins are just recolours of a generic sprite used for bandit bosses. That same sprite appears in FE6 at least 4 times.

They were the first instance where the archetype showed, what with the goofy speech style when addressing each other.

The original bandit twins are just recolours of a generic sprite used for bandit bosses. That same sprite appears in FE6 at least 4 times.

Most non-plot bosses were pallet swaps. Even Chapter 8's boss was, and he was a plot boss.

They were the first instance where the archetype showed, what with the goofy speech style when addressing each other.

Pallet swap or not, I agree with you. Building an engine from scratch doesn't allow as much time for other things.

Goofy speech was present for the Armads side chapter boss who used the same palette. Just saying.

Goofy speech was present for the Armads side chapter boss who used the same palette. Just saying.

"When addressing each other"

Tbh I found that boss far more forgettable than Maggie and Rose. Found them more amusing, and the fact that they got clear expies in 3 later games shows that.