Bloodborne

Tryhard

How the heck do you get to the Forbidden Forest? I beat the Witch of Hemwick and the Blood-Starved Beast, and got three levels into my chalice dungeon, and now I'm out of places to go. Probably just missed something in plain sight like I always do.

Have you beaten Vicar Amelia? If so, interact with the skull right ahead of the Cathedral lantern and then head to the password door down the stairs from Alfred.

I really want this game, but I feel like I'll only get it in like 2 years or so.

I wonder if it's as good as the other soul games

I would say it is better in many aspects. It's my favorite one so far.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want this game, but I feel like I'll only get it in like 2 years or so.

I wonder if it's as good as the other soul games

Tough to say at this stage, but it seems to borrow most heavily from Demon's Souls and forgo many of the changes Dark Souls made—for better or worse. It also doesn't have much in the way of casting, if that's a deal-breaker. My personal favorite is still Dark Souls II but this one has its merits so far.

Have you beaten Vicar Amelia? If so, interact with the skull right ahead of the Cathedral lantern and then head to the password door down the stairs from Alfred.

Ah, I figured it out. I'd missed meeting Alfred completely, but I just found him. What's with me always finding my way to the bosses but passing up all the NPCs...?

Edited by Ars Nova

Ah, I figured it out. I'd missed meeting Alfred completely, but I just found him. What's with me always finding my way to the bosses but passing up all the NPCs...?

They are easy to miss in this game. Their quests are also easy to screw up. No surprise since it's a new game... Everything is still really obscure.

The game already feels really good even though I'm just in the first area and have found no bosses yet - I'm getting lost already, lol.

Can't quite seem to get the parrying time down, though.

The axe transformed also seems really good. Spin to win. Though not as dapper as the cane. :[

Edited by Tryhard

The game already feels really good even though I'm just in the first area and have found no bosses yet - I'm getting lost already, lol.

Can't quite seem to get the parrying time down, though.

It's kinda like parrying with a small shield in the other Souls games. Just shoot right before they hit you. It does vary depending on how fast your gun is though.

Made quite a bit of progress, though I'm trying to use my gun more often - I seem to usually "trade" hits, I assume I'm doing it too late, though after a visceral attack it'll regain my health anyway.

That Blood-Starved Beast fight was intense, the poison why.

Edited by Tryhard

That fight was actually really fun. I helped a bunch of hosts and torched the beast with my Flamesprayer.

arcane da bess

Huh, arcane increases item discovery as well? I've got it at base - pretty much exclusively levelling a strength build now tbh. Ludwig's Holy Blade is great and probably my favourite weapon from From games even right now. What exactly does arcane and bloodtinge effect? Just scaling on weapons? I haven't really found a super strength weapon yet. Also, I picked up the cannon. It's insane.

There's some fucked up shit in this game, mang.

I got the cutscene where I got killed by one of the sackmen and woke up in a prison before I killed the Vicar after Blood-Stained Beast.

And Gilbert and Papa G's daughter ;_;

Plus in the Forbidden Woods there's that NPC...

Edited by Tryhard

Yeah, the game is creepy as fuck.

Anyway, aside from item discovery, Arcane also affects the damage you deal with elemental weapons and weapons infused with magical damage such arcane, bolt and fire. Some special gadgets in the game require a decent amount of Arcane in order to utilize. As for Bloodtinge, it affects the damage of your gun weapons. I think it affects their stagger and knockback abilities, too. One thing to keep in mind is that trick weapons that scale with bloodtinge only utilize the scaling when they are in their gun form. Otherwise they go by whatever other STR or SKL scaling they have. It's the same with Arcane, it won't affect your weapon's damage unless the weapon is infused or has innate arcane damage.

Damn, I should get my STR character up to your levels so I can co-op with you guys. My SKL character is already level 105

Wow, Rom the Vacuous Spider is a RUDE BITCH. Anybody in Byrgenwerth that wants to help me out with it? I'm Lv53 if that matters.

A good strategy to use when fighting Rom is to orbit him closely. That way, he won't spam his super-cool-tracking-meteors-of-fairness.

Bet he'll be real adorable when he's on fire

E: Decided to pass the time in the chalice dungeons. I hope some of the pyromancies the Keeper uses are available, 'cause that's my jam.

Edited by Ars Nova

Wow, Rom the Vacuous Spider is a RUDE BITCH. Anybody in Byrgenwerth that wants to help me out with it? I'm Lv53 if that matters.

[spoiler=boss advice]Just beat him, I died on my first time but got him on my second: I've heard that his arcane barrage will target in the direction you are facing when he does it? So running directly horizontally after he does it made me dodge all of the attacks. Otherwise, I would get behind him, get one fully charged attack in and then back off as he usually did a physical attack or his AoE blast. I played the entire fight unlocked and I think that helped.

Though I could probably help with it, I would suggest doing it solo as one mistake as a co-op partner means you're pretty much dead in that fight because of the reduced hit points and the spiders having some damage. One of the things that might help is at the start of the fight before he teleports he seems to do absolutely nothing: you can use this time to clear the spiders so they don't follow you around and swarm you. After he teleports, it isn't worth killing them really, though.

At least it's a short run back?

And yeah, things just went pure Lovecraftian.

I found my way to the other entrance to the clinic and... wow.

Damn, I should get my STR character up to your levels so I can co-op with you guys. My SKL character is already level 105

Damn man, you beaten the game already? What weapons did you end up using for Skill? Edited by Tryhard

Damn man, you beaten the game already? What weapons did you end up using for Skill?

Nah, I haven't yet. I just spent a lot of souls on leveling (I regret this so much omg.) by farming stuff with double moon runes and I got lucky with coldblood drops.

I just defeated Gehrman. He was a tough fight, but I managed to parry him to death. After I killed him this crazy alien thing came out of the moon and attempted to grab me, but a force pushed it away and now I'm supposed to fight it. I kinda messed up and died but it was ok because now I can use Gehrman's scythe in NG!

As for skill weapons, I used the Threaded Cane for a majority of the game. That weapon is legit. Fast, great reach in whip mode, great stagger power and it makes me feel like a true victorian pimp. Other than the cane, I also used the Saw Spear, Blades of Mercy, Rifle Spear, Reiterpallasch and the Scythe. Saw Spear was ok. I didn't really like it much but I can tell it's way better than the cleaver. Blades of Mercy are GODLY. When they are in dual-wielding mode, they get faster and faster the more you R1 spam them, which makes them incredibly good against big enemies. Rifle Spear is nice, too. Great reach, fast, and it saves me a left-hand slot because I can just use the weapon itself as a gun. It's charge attack is really powerful, too. Reiterpallasch is probably my favorite. It has swift thrusts and slashes and just like the Rifle Spear can substitute for a strong gun. It's also really stylish! Lastly, the Scythe. The Scythe is just... it's boner. It's fast, strong and has a really cool moveset. I want to use it more, but right now I need some better bloodgems, which I am attempting to collect.

Can't wait to do another run. This game was a blast.

For my recommendations, at least for now: Ludwig's Sword and the Hunter Axe are both really good. And of course the cannon, it requires 30 strength but oh man, so much fun. I also picked up Logarius' Wheel, but I didn't really like it. You can spin it to deal more damage I believe (or is it lifesteal more?) but it drains your life when you do it, and it has a weird moveset. A shame, considering it probably has the highest strength scaling in the game. I think it goes to S at +10. I dunno about the Kirkhammer, which I kinda dropped for a while since it was rather slow, but I liked it as well.

Edited by Tryhard

I think I've defeated most of the bosses in the game. Been trying to find all of the weapons and armor. I love the look of the Reiterpallasch but I don't know how much Bloodtinge would be good for decent scaling for it or anything in general.

Still have no idea where the Chalice Dungeons are unless I completely missed something incredibly obvious. >_>

Still have no idea where the Chalice Dungeons are unless I completely missed something incredibly obvious. >_>

There's altars/gravestones in the Hunter's Dream to the left - there is six, if I recall? You need a chalice, the first you get is from the Blood Starved Beast, and some materials. Note that the normal chalices are not randomized, only the "root" ones are, so at least your first will be pre-determined. Also, you'll find it really easy at your current level probably lol.

From what I've heard, their progress also stays recorded through to NG+.

Edited by Tryhard

So that's that what those are for. I never bothered interacting with them. I figured they would be warp points for the main and that the Chalice dungeons are just randomly somewhere in the main game.

For my recommendations, at least for now: Ludwig's Sword and the Hunter Axe are both really good. And of course the cannon, it requires 30 strength but oh man, so much fun. I also picked up Logarius' Wheel, but I didn't really like it. You can spin it to deal more damage I believe (or is it lifesteal more?) but it drains your life when you do it, and it has a weird moveset. A shame, considering it probably has the highest strength scaling in the game. I think it goes to S at +10. I dunno about the Kirkhammer, which I kinda dropped for a while since it was rather slow, but I liked it as well.

I've heard Logarius' Wheel is incredibly good but takes some skill to use correctly. Kirkhammer is really versatile. Sword is fast and great at interruptions, while the hammer can stunlock big enemies. Too bad blunt damage is kinda bad.

The two Saw weapons have been outperforming most other weapons I've tried out. Kirk and Ludwig's are rather lackluster to me despite their unique design.

Pretty sure the Blades of Mercy dual-wielded are better damage wise than the two saws though.

Dunno if anyone's interested, but there's a pretty safe dupe glitch. Just tried it today, still works. According to the comments, the video neglects to mention a few requirements: You have to be offline, your dupe character has to be male and you can't loot anything before you get to storage (presumably because storing something other than a Pebble will nullify the glitch).

Edited by Ars Nova

4 for 4 gg from

it's not a glitch, it's a feature!

Kirk and Ludwig's are rather lackluster to me despite their unique design.

For Ludwig's it's the 2H R2/charge attack. It can stunlock most large enemies and even bosses. The large swings on the normal attacks are a bonus, and the one handed attacks are pretty fast as well.

also, rumours

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805577-bloodborne/71514496

the real waifu souls begins here

Edited by Tryhard