Favorite character so far

Sylveon

Favorite character so far  

175 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite character(s)?

Why should it matter that they're Japanese? People in real life give their kids foreign names all the time. And it's not like giving them foreign names will change their designs or their country's customs or culture.

Ana, did you read my explanation on WHY people in real life give their kids foreign names "all the time"? As an Asian American, I am well versed on this topic while I doubt you are.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point people are trying to make is "Ryouma is a name of a character who is in a Japanese setting and is thematically Japanese, therefore a Japanese name makes sense". Other FE's have a more western feel, hence the less Japanese names. However, I think it's perfectly acceptable for Ryouma to keep his name, I mean, it might change, but it's not going to be anything western.

I think the point people are trying to make is "Ryouma is a name of a character who is in a Japanese setting and is thematically Japanese, therefore a Japanese name makes sense". Other FE's have a more western feel, hence the less Japanese names. However, I think it's perfectly acceptable for Ryouma to keep his name, I mean, it might change, but it's not going to be anything western.

Well yeah, a Japanese name would make sense, I'm not denying that. I just don't think that it absolutely HAS to be Japanese.

Well yeah, a Japanese name would make sense, I'm not denying that. I just don't think that it absolutely HAS to be Japanese.

That's fair enough, but I'd consider where everyone else is coming from, especially in response to what you've said about foreign naming. I'd imagine a hypothetical rename would be Japanese, it's incredibly unlikely to be anything otherwise.

I voted for Felicia, out of the sole pleasure of being able to say "Bye Felicia" when I switch sides.

Edited by Dandy Druid

you know the kanji for Ryouma is Dragon Horse and

Kamooi turns into a Dragon Horselike thingy
It's the illuminati

*X-Files theme plays in the background* Weewoooweeeoooowooo.

I just don't think that it absolutely HAS to be Japanese.

Yes it does. I do not understand how this does not sink in with you. Hoshido is Japanese in setting. Ryouma's armor, Hinoka's armor, even Kazahana's outfit, everyone there has a very Japanese aesthetic. Even that ruler lady in the trailer (which wouldnt surprise me if her name was Himiko) are all very traditional. Their names are traditional. Its the whole point. Even though it looks like they have more pegasus knights and swordmasters (who look like Samurai anyway) there, its basically Japan. One lady in the trailer, her name is Orochi. That is so freaking tied to Japanese mythology. Ryouma's name, regardless of whatever change it faces, must remain Japanese in some way.

I agree with I-forget-who that Marx seems like the clearest pick for a "complex" character, at this point, esp given the advertised route of the Nohr storyline

but like we know very little at this time, soooooo

designwise I like Kamui (both) a lot as well, tho

also Tsubaki

I feel like we might see them localize it to Max. Because...in the US, Marx as in Karl, is often seen as a dirty word. (because Cold War and junk) I prefer Marx, but if hes called Max in the international release, ill adjust.

WE FIGHT AS ONE!

finally someone who knows its not communism.

chico, harop, groucho, and zeppo, tho

the marx brothers are not unknown!

how what marx wrote about not communism...

Yes it does. I do not understand how this does not sink in with you. Hoshido is Japanese in setting. Ryouma's armor, Hinoka's armor, even Kazahana's outfit, everyone there has a very Japanese aesthetic. Even that ruler lady in the trailer (which wouldnt surprise me if her name was Himiko) are all very traditional. Their names are traditional. Its the whole point. Even though it looks like they have more pegasus knights and swordmasters (who look like Samurai anyway) there, its basically Japan. One lady in the trailer, her name is Orochi. That is so freaking tied to Japanese mythology. Ryouma's name, regardless of whatever change it faces, must remain Japanese in some way.

No, it doesn't. I do not understand why this is such a huge deal. They're NAMES. It's not like an English name here and there for Hoshido characters is going to make the entire game horrible.

No, it doesn't. I do not understand why this is such a huge deal. They're NAMES. It's not like an English name here and there for Hoshido characters is going to make the entire game horrible.

Ana, why do you keep ignoring my explanation of why Asian people would give their children names in the first place? I bring this up because it's relevant. Ryouma's name changing from Japanese to western is not a comparable scenario at all to Asian people giving their children non-Asian names.

Also, names are a huge deal when one culture wants to "take over" another. Sometime before WWII, Japan occupied Korea and forced Korean citizens to take Japanese names. "But I don't understand why this is a huge deal. They're NAMES." Except it is a big deal because it's cultural imperialism. The Japanese wanted to strip Korea of its culture and just replace all of it with Japanese as a way of saying "our culture is better, your culture sucks."

This may be a game, but the sentiment is still there. "It's not a big deal to change this Japanese guy's name even though he is from a Japanese setting in the game because western culture is better than Japanese. It baffles me that anyone would oppose changing a weird Japanese name to the clearly superior English name." Is this really what you're saying? This is why Lumi/Thor is telling you to have some cultural sensitivity. Names are never just names. And when you change the name of character or a person from one culture to another, unless it's done willingly by the person/character there is some form of cultural imperialism involved.

Hoshido is Japanese-inspired, but it's not Japan. It looks like Japan... and that's all we really know about it.

Not to say it doesn't just kill immersion when you have a line-up comprised of Makoto, Yamato, Hinako, Akira, and... Robert.

I have allowed multiple choice for the poll. I forgot about it. Whoops.

I chose Kazahana, Sakura, and Blarth because of their designs. Hopefully they will have nice personalities.

Edited by Sylveon

Tsubaki. Because he is a male (yeah, I think he is a male, because of the character's design so far. But I would really like if he turns out to be female too <3) pegasus knight, and I'm curious. I liked Kazahana and Ryouma too. Some characters seems too much stereotyped and fetishized though, like the blond imouto loli and the s&m stripper-clothed wyvern rider with pseudo nekomimi tiara (aka Camilla). I'm picking Nohr, but hoshidan characters look more instersting so far.

Ana, why do you keep ignoring my explanation of why Asian people would give their children names in the first place? I bring this up because it's relevant. Ryouma's name changing from Japanese to western is not a comparable scenario at all to Asian people giving their children non-Asian names.

Also, names are a huge deal when one culture wants to "take over" another. Sometime before WWII, Japan occupied Korea and forced Korean citizens to take Japanese names. "But I don't understand why this is a huge deal. They're NAMES." Except it is a big deal because it's cultural imperialism. The Japanese wanted to strip Korea of its culture and just replace all of it with Japanese as a way of saying "our culture is better, your culture sucks."

This may be a game, but the sentiment is still there. "It's not a big deal to change this Japanese guy's name even though he is from a Japanese setting in the game because western culture is better than Japanese. It baffles me that anyone would oppose changing a weird Japanese name to the clearly superior English name." Is this really what you're saying? This is why Lumi/Thor is telling you to have some cultural sensitivity. Names are never just names. And when you change the name of character or a person from one culture to another, unless it's done willingly by the person/character there is some form of cultural imperialism involved.

Uh, sorry, I didn't see your explanations? People posted in this thread so fast that I missed them. >_>

I didn't say to strip Hoshido of its entire Japanese theme.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I do like Tsubaki's design. I think she's a woman though.

Edited by Anacybele

He looks like a prettier Shinon to me.

Exactly. Imo, Tsubaki looks extremely feminine. Like, Lucius level. And imo, the archer guy also looks feminine. Why have two feminine-looking dudes on the same side? Not to mention that Tsubaki rides a Pegasus and IS seems set on keeping them female. They have for what, the past twelve games? I don't see them changing that now.

But given that I probably would've been positive that Lucius was female if I hadn't known any better, it's not impossible that Tsubaki is male, I'll admit. But I will be disappointed if she is. I'm honestly getting rather tired of all the feminine-looking men in this series. I get that Japanese fans like them, but like I said, TWO on the same side in this game? I just think this is silly.

Exactly. Imo, Tsubaki looks extremely feminine. Like, Lucius level. And imo, the archer guy also looks feminine. Why have two feminine-looking dudes on the same side? Not to mention that Tsubaki rides a Pegasus and IS seems set on keeping them female. They have for what, the past twelve games? I don't see them changing that now.

But given that I probably would've been positive that Lucius was female if I hadn't known any better, it's not impossible that Tsubaki is male, I'll admit. But I will be disappointed if she is. I'm honestly getting rather tired of all the feminine-looking men in this series. I get that Japanese fans like them, but like I said, TWO on the same side in this game? I just think this is silly.

...There's only been, like, 3.

They seem to be doing away with gender exclusive classes, which I'm personally happy with, as it's always annoyed me that they stereotype men so much with the gender exclusive classes like Barbarian and Fighter as brutish meatheads, whereas only women get Pegasus Knights, simply because men can't ride pegasi due to the same reasons. Sure, I know some pretty ungentle and barbaric guys, but I also know some brutish women, too.

As for my favorite character, I'm stuck between Marx and DKB personality wise, and Marx and Camilla aesthetically. And no, it's not just the titties. I like her purple hair and wyvernrideyness, too.

Edited by JothTheConqueror

Pretty sure there've been more feminine-looking males in this series than that.

- Marth

- Seliph (yes, I think he looks like a girl with that hair and face)

- Lucius

- Libra

- Soren

- Reyson

- Rafiel

- FEif Archer guy

Although Reyson and Rafiel I don't mind because they at least have a reason to look the way they do. Heron laguz being all graceful and stuff. Plus with Leanne there, even they look kinda masculine. xP The rest of these guys just look like girls for the sake of it.