Can I ask for help on buying a memory card?

Hi!

So I need to buy a new memory card for the wii/GC, and I am finding this to be way more complicated than I remember. The one I had from years back worked for both the wii and gamecube, no problem. But as I'm looking over memory cards on amazon now, there are a LOT out there with various warnings they only work one system or the other. Seeing as how the two games I play most are the two fire emblem games, I'd like one memory card that works for both, and can handle the data transfer. I just have no clue what cards can actually do that.

My apologies if this is really simple and I'm just being a tech idiot here. I'm just really confused over this, and wouldn't mind a helping hand from someone more knowledgeable than I.

Thanks for your time!

P.S.

Forgot to mention, price isn't a huge factor to me, as long as it works and somewhat reliable, you know?

The official nintendo memory card works for both. What about just getting one of those used? Also, des "won't work with the wii" mean that it won't work as a gamecube memory card on the wii, or that i won't woork as a wii memory card on the wii (which i belive applys to every gamecube memory card).

Geez I never knew memory cards were compatible with both GC and WII. I still have the original memory card that came with the GameCube years ago and it works with my Wii.

As for good card I use one I got years ago from EB games works pretty good there's a fair bit online to find and maybe if your lucky youl find one lying around at a GameStop.

I've always had a Mad Catz memory card and it works fine on my Wii. Presumably with the GameCube as well, as it's from around 2007. I say go for that.

TC, try to avoid a Mad Catz memory card. From a personal experience, I had a friend whose Mad Catz card frequently corrupted save data. In general, Mad Catz was pretty infamous for making sub par products during the Gamecube era.

I figured the official nintendo one would be a safe bet too, and even looked at that same link, LordTaco. What throws me off is the person in the 'customer questions' section saying it 'does not save wiii games.' I would have sworn it did, but with so many issues known on other cards I could not be sure I could trust my memory.

As for Madcatz, I have had my share of problems from them too, with various controllers over the years.

I figured the official nintendo one would be a safe bet too, and even looked at that same link, LordTaco. What throws me off is the person in the 'customer questions' section saying it 'does not save wiii games.' I would have sworn it did, but with so many issues known on other cards I could not be sure I could trust my memory.

As for Madcatz, I have had my share of problems from them too, with various controllers over the years.

That just means that it can't save data from Wii games onto it. Meaning if I wanted to save data from Super Mario Galaxy 2 onto it I couldn't do that. You should be fine doing a data transfer though from PoR to RD since thats GC to Wii data. I would also buy the card new to avoid getting a corrupted card.

I suppose, but isn't there any cards that can save both GC and wii data? I had a card that had both GC and wii data on it, but someone borrowed it and never gave it back. I have no idea what kind of card it was, but I never had to think about about whether this was a GC or wii game when it came to saving before, it just did both.

tl;dr I have no memory card, and need a replacement to save both my GC and wii games, and handle the data transfer. Do I need two memory cards for this, as I can't find a single card that can do all that, despite remembering having one.

If I recall the GCN memory cards only save GC data on them and the only way to save GCN data is on the GCN memory cards.

To answer your question there is no single card that can save Wii and GC data on it simultaneously (at least not that I know of). SD cards can be used for Wii data and channels but since the Gamecube was never designed to save onto SD cards they can only save to the GC memory cards. If you had both Wii anc GCN data on a card I wouldn't for the life of me know how as GC data can only be written on read off the GC memory cards. For the PoR to RD data transfer you should only need one GC memory card with your PoR data saved to it.

This also assuming you're doing this just with the stadard stuff no hacking, emulation etc...

Edited by LordTaco42

TC, try to avoid a Mad Catz memory card. From a personal experience, I had a friend whose Mad Catz card frequently corrupted save data. In general, Mad Catz was pretty infamous for making sub par products during the Gamecube era.

I'll be sure to get an official one once my current one bites the dust, then.

This also assuming you're doing this just with the stadard stuff no hacking, emulation etc...

Heck, even if you are emulating, dolphin emulaetes the game cube and wii cards as seperate cards that can be changed seperately.