Who's the better character?

Zhadox

73 members have voted

1. 1. Ike or The Black Knight (Zelgius)?

• Ike
    • Black Knight (Zelgius)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making me choose between my favorite FE hero and my favorite FE villain? Ugh. :(

Guess I'll have to pick Ike though, since he's honestly one of my favorite video game characters ever. As cool and badass as Zelgius is...

Honestly, Zelgius bored me. The moment I saw him I knew who he really was and the BK is... well... It's far too overdone in fantasy to be of interest. It doesn't help that my friend just HAS to put his music on every custom smash stage to the point where I had to go in and tell him to change at least some of them or I would outright refuse to play his custom stages. Fire Emblem might have good music but I don't need to hear it EVERY time I play Smash Bros!

I wlll agree that Black Knight could've had a cooler name. I mean "Black Knight" is kind of eh and used a lot. In fact, that name is as old as my parents since it was used in the very first Scooby Doo episode. The bad guy was the Black Knight ghost. lol

Now that I think about it, wasn't it "Dark Knight" in Japanese PoR/RD? That's a bit eh too, but better than Black Knight, imo.

Edited by Anacybele

I think the Black Knight kinda blows, to be honest.

I liked a lot of the emotions that came from him killing Greil and when he shows up he has one hell of a presence but I'm not sure what purpose he serves for the story at large.

I mean, the Black Knights kills Greil and wounds the Greil Mercenaries, setting Ike on a path of revenge. And killing the Black Knight at Castle Nados is what finally gives Ike peace.

Yet, the game is actually about a circle of revenge between the Beorc and the Laguz, something that both races have to overcome... So the presence of a "revenge gives you peace" subplot really irritates me.

And his actions in Radiant Dawn make no sense in the first place.

Edited by BrightBow

Ike of course.

Since the Black Knight...

RADIANT DAWN SPOILERS

... became Sephiran's slave in Radiant Dawn.... -_-'

I went with Ike. Yeah I know people complain that he's flat in RD but if you play both PoR and RD back to back you can really actually see his full development as a character. Plus he's a strong ass unit and owns the Black Knight in RD without even trying even on hard.

I think the Black Knight kinda blows, to be honest.

I liked a lot of the emotions that came from him killing Greil and when he shows up he has one hell of a presence but I'm not sure what purpose he serves for the story at large.

I mean, the Black Knights kills Greil and wounds the Greil Mercenaries, setting Ike on a path of revenge. And killing the Black Knight at Castle Nados is what finally gives Ike peace.

Yet, the game is actually about a circle of revenge between the Beorc and the Laguz, something that both races have to overcome... So the presence of a "revenge gives you peace" subplot really irritates me.

And his actions in Radiant Dawn make no sense in the first place.

I think his purpose was to give a 'face' to the enemy and to provide the player with a direct reason to want to fight back. When you get down to it Ashnard really isn't that great a villain in that he's not on-screen all that much and he doesn't really do too much when it comes to the party except for, arguably, Elincia/Lucia/Geoffry/Bastion. Had Greil not died the player would have no motive to take down Ashnard beyond Elincia's desire to reclaim the throne and the players desire to slay the big-bad. Not saying it's a GOOD role, but that was probably what he was meant to do.

Ike of course.

Since the Black Knight...

RADIANT DAWN SPOILERS

... became Sephiran's slave in Radiant Dawn.... -_-'

At the end of Chapter 11 of Path of Radiance, Ranulf and BK I think were about to fight and Sephiran intervenes and tells the BK to leave him alone and BK leaves. So, he was his slave already in POR.

Boring protagonist versus boring villain... it's like choosing between a kick in the groin and a poke in the eyes.

I'll give the vote to Ike only because he's pretty cool in FE9.

Boring protagonist versus boring villain... it's like choosing between a kick in the groin and a poke in the eyes.

Pretty much this.

I'll go with the Black Knight for his ability to come out of some house and make you go "oh shit" though.

The Black Knight is one of the most interesting characters in Fire Emblem as a whole. The game teases you by revealing little to no information about him until endgame of the second game!

All of his motives, his pain, and the fact that he makes you shiver every time he appears is only part of what makes him so interesting. HIs desire to test Ike. His honor and ability to acknowledge that Ike is stronger than him.

He is a much more developed character than Ike ever will be.

Ike is strong and he cares about his mercenary family. He wants to do what his father would do. Aside from that, there is nothing about Ike that really makes him all that interesting.

Ike is different from just about every other FE lord, that's what makes him so interesting to me. He's still the only one that's not of royal or noble birth and instead of being part of nobility, he hates it and hates nobles in general. He's like the opposite of all the other lords in this sense, even Hector whom he was based upon. And even then, Ike doesn't really share much in common with Hector. Unlike the other lords, all Ike wants is a simple life as a mercenary. He got thrown into everything he was involved in by chance and then earned many people's respect by just being himself. He never asked for anything that he got. He gave way more. He even tried to give the innocent Daein people food and money despite that they spat on him. All he ever asks is payment for being a mercenary and even then, that's not much because he's no Volke.

And I like that Ike holds no prejudice against anyone for race or anything. Beorc or laguz, he treats them the same. He still calls Soren his friend despite Soren being a Branded and he makes friends with all kinds of laguz. Ike doesn't think that race or anything matters. The real world really needs more people like him.

Also, I'll repost this video that was posted on the PoR board awhile back. It pretty much says why I love Ike so much (although unlike the maker of the vid, I was a fan of Ike from the moment I first played PoR)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joPOFHTItF0

Edited by Anacybele

All of his motives, his pain, and the fact that he makes you shiver every time he appears is only part of what makes him so interesting. HIs desire to test Ike. His honor and ability to acknowledge that Ike is stronger than him.

Nah, BK just gives the illusion of depth, but his character is dumb and meaningless when it comes down to it.

Nah, BK just gives the illusion of depth, but his character is dumb and meaningless when it comes down to it.

I think my biggest problem with him, is how nothing he really does adds up with how antagonistic he was in PoR.

Tbh though, Ike isn't that much better in RD. In PoR IS wrote both characters fantastically, Ike especially. They completely botched everything up in RD.

The thing with the BK that constantly gets me is that they try to make him look like a semi-good guy in the end as the one who pushed Ike to get stronger. But when you get down to it the BK was so hellbent on becoming stronger that he killed his master who was also a father at the time and that was of his own will. Furthermore hes willing to kill Ike at the end of RD just to prove that he's the best.