Lightning Rod, Motor Drive, or Sap Sipper?

Anacybele

Yeah, these are Zebstrika's abilities, the third one being its hidden ability. I got lucky and got the right Mirage Mountain on my map to find them and I'm trying to catch one with 3 stars, and I'm not exactly sure which of these abilities it should have. They all seem good. I'm leaning towards Sap Sipper because I think this can heal Zebstrika if it's hit by a Grass type move. But Lightning Rod draws in all Electric type attacks while Motor Drive raises Zebtrika's speed when it's hit by an Electric type move.

So yeah, is Sap Sipper the right choice?

Edited by Anacybele

It probably honestly depends in your team makeup in any given situation. Do you have excess immunities or resistances to Electric and no need for the +1 Special Attack or +1 Speed? If so, Sap Sipper is probably the best. Otherwise, the others are probably a better bet.

Honestly, it'd probably make the most sense to catch at least a Sap Sipper one since there is the scenario where a Hidden Ability isn't passed down, so you can always breed to get the other two abilities if you need them later. Or just catch 3 female ones, one with each ability and make sure one of them has good IVs to pass down.

Oh, and Sap Sipper doesn't restore HP. Just gives +1 Attack and invalidates the Grass attack.

Edited by Lord Glenn

Oh. I could've sworn Sap Sipper healed... Oh well.

Let's see, my final team will be Bellossom, Kingdra, Rapidash, Zebstrika, Lopunny, and Talonflame. So besides Zebstrika, only Bellossom would also have a resistance to Electric type moves while I'd have a bunch of resistances to Grass type moves. Rapidash will have Flash Fire, so its immunity is Fire type moves.

I won't have any need for +1 sp. attack, though, I'm pretty sure Zebstrika is a physical attacker, which means I'll only be giving it physical moves. So I'm guessing Motor Drive is what I'm actually looking for?

EDIT: I found a 3-star Motor Drive Zebstrika... And it turned out to have FOUR max IVs. But its nature is just no. >_< God dang it.

EDIT2: OMG, my luck soon changed in an instant after I missed two more 3-Star Motor Drive Zebstrika (the first I accidentally caused to run away and the second I accidentally knocked out). I caught another Motor Drive Zebstrika that not only has 3 stars, but max attack and speed IVs, outstanding potential overall, and a great nature! That's what I like on this zebra. :D Oh yeah, it's at a higher level than normal too!

Edited by Anacybele

So, one thing to note, since you seem to have a lot of trouble with natures, is that if your lead pokemon has the Synchronize ability, there will be a 50% chance that any pokemon you encounter has the same nature as the synchronize pokemon. It's not perfect, but it really increases the odds of a good catch. I suppose you might have known this already and were just unlucky, but no reason not to throw it out there.

Yeah, I favor a lot of Pokemon that brush off Grass type moves. lol But they don't share many weaknesses, even with two Fire types there. Only one of those Fire types is vulnerable to the common Ground type moves. And for Rock types, I've got Kingdra and Bellossom around to take care of them. Bellossom and Zebstrika take care of Water types too.

If another Keldeo event happens though, I'm going to switch out somebody for it (probably Kingdra, sry badass seahorse/dragon... DX) so I have all the equine Pokemon in there! And Keldeo is my top favorite. :P I don't want to trade over the one I have in X, it's staying on that team, plus its nature is bad anyway. I want to try for a better nature next time.

But yeah, glad I decided to catch that Motor Drive Zebstrika I got with the great IVs and nature and all.

Oh yeah, I've also given my Lopunny the Limber ability and Lopunnite. So when I don't Mega evolve it, it's immune to paralysis, and when I do, Pokemon like Spiritomb and Sableye are less of a bitch (Mega Lopunny has the ability that lets it hit Ghost types with Normal and Fighting type moves).

I just wish for a Bellossite and a Rapidashite now, GameFreak. *puppy dog eyes*

EDIT: Oh, sorry, Ether, you posted right when I did, so I didn't see your post at first. Yeah, I knew about the Synchronize ability, but didn't think of it at the time. XD

Edited by Anacybele

Oh. I could've sworn Sap Sipper healed... Oh well.

Let's see, my final team will be Bellossom, Kingdra, Rapidash, Zebstrika, Lopunny, and Talonflame. So besides Zebstrika, only Bellossom would also have a resistance to Electric type moves while I'd have a bunch of resistances to Grass type moves. Rapidash will have Flash Fire, so its immunity is Fire type moves.

I won't have any need for +1 sp. attack, though, I'm pretty sure Zebstrika is a physical attacker, which means I'll only be giving it physical moves. So I'm guessing Motor Drive is what I'm actually looking for?

EDIT: I found a 3-star Motor Drive Zebstrika... And it turned out to have FOUR max IVs. But its nature is just no. >_< God dang it.

EDIT2: OMG, my luck soon changed in an instant after I missed two more 3-Star Motor Drive Zebstrika (the first I accidentally caused to run away and the second I accidentally knocked out). I caught another Motor Drive Zebstrika that not only has 3 stars, but max attack and speed IVs, outstanding potential overall, and a great nature! That's what I like on this zebra. :D Oh yeah, it's at a higher level than normal too!

Sap Sipper raises Attk, not Sp. I find it better to give it Overheat over Flame Charge for it's better base and having 80 base Sp.Attk isn't bad at all. Especially when you invest at least around 202 EV upon it! :)

It's nice now that they have a way to tell of their IV's by the stars. Which you can usually get better ones from catching them from the wild by sneaking up on them.

So, one thing to note, since you seem to have a lot of trouble with natures, is that if your lead pokemon has the Synchronize ability, there will be a 50% chance that any pokemon you encounter has the same nature as the synchronize pokemon. It's not perfect, but it really increases the odds of a good catch. I suppose you might have known this already and were just unlucky, but no reason not to throw it out there.

That is why that I only breed to get my Pokes.

Only waiting till either good natures, or Smogon's suggestions comes into play.

Plus saves you alot of money on the Pokeballs.

Yeah, I favor a lot of Pokemon that brush off Grass type moves. lol But they don't share many weaknesses, even with two Fire types there. Only one of those Fire types is vulnerable to the common Ground type moves. And for Rock types, I've got Kingdra and Bellossom around to take care of them. Bellossom and Zebstrika take care of Water types too.

If another Keldeo event happens though, I'm going to switch out somebody for it (probably Kingdra, sry badass seahorse/dragon... DX) so I have all the equine Pokemon in there! And Keldeo is my top favorite. :P I don't want to trade over the one I have in X, it's staying on that team, plus its nature is bad anyway. I want to try for a better nature next time.

But yeah, glad I decided to catch that Motor Drive Zebstrika I got with the great IVs and nature and all.

Oh yeah, I've also given my Lopunny the Limber ability and Lopunnite. So when I don't Mega evolve it, it's immune to paralysis, and when I do, Pokemon like Spiritomb and Sableye are less of a bitch (Mega Lopunny has the ability that lets it hit Ghost types with Normal and Fighting type moves).

I just wish for a Bellossite and a Rapidashite now, GameFreak. *puppy dog eyes*

EDIT: Oh, sorry, Ether, you posted right when I did, so I didn't see your post at first. Yeah, I knew about the Synchronize ability, but didn't think of it at the time. XD

That is why that I reset whenever I get bad ones from the delivery man especially for Event/GTS/AR Code only pokes. Having a three perfect IV's along with a naive Diancie are always a good thing. :333

That's why I'd prefer Lopbunny+Ring Target over it's Mega Stone for to have both immunity to Paralysis and being able to hit those ghost types with those Normal/Fighting type moves. It needs to be able to hit them with Drain Punch after all. :D

Lopbunny

Item: Ring Target

Ability: Limber

-Drain Punch/Low Kick

-Magic Coat

-Hyper Voice/Heal Bell/Thunder Wave

-Fire Punch

Drain Punch for longevity. Low Kick is also an option for Snorlax/Slaking, anything else that is heavy weighted.

Magic Coat for blocking statuses.

Hyper Voice is an option for STAB and to pierce through substitutes. Heal Bell for in case you get swept and get statuse'd. Thunder Wave for easier victories.

Fire Punch for those Steel Types and Fairy.

Though, I don't find a Klutz(Ability)+Switcharoo(Move) one bad either to trade your Toxic Orb to your opponents. :3

-----

On topic...I'd say Sap Sipper for immunity to Sleep Powders, etc. :)

Edited by Lt_Matilda_Ajan

Actually that set won't work. Ring Target let's you hit Pokemon that have immunities like Normal and Ghost, but that opposing Pokemon must be holding it.

E.g. Lupunny Vs. Gengar w/Ring Target.

Lopunny can hit Gengar w/Normal and Fighting and Ground (Cuz Gengar's Levitate)

Gengar can't hit Lopunny w/Ghost. Or any other immunities that Lopunny has for that matter.

http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Ring_Target

Ring Target

That Lopbunny has Switcharoo for. :)

It'd have to get this...

-----

Lopbunny

-Drain Punch/Low Kick

-Magic Coat/Thunder Wave/Heal Bell

-Switcharoo

-Fire Punch

-----

As GGG stated....

It's no good otherwise.

Edited by Lt_Matilda_Ajan

http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Ring_Target

Ring Target

That Lopbunny has Switcharoo for. :)

It'd have to get this...

-----

Lopbunny

-Drain Punch/Low Kick

-Magic Coat/Thunder Wave/Heal Bell

-Switcharoo

-Fire Punch

Why settle for Ring Target when you can switch status orbs, Choice items or Assault Vest

And like I said, I Mega evolve my Lopunny most of the time (the only time I don't is if I put it against a Pokemon that can possibly paralyze it), so it doesn't need its target to hold a Ring Target due to its ability letting it hit Ghost types with Fighting type and Normal type moves anyway.