LCD TV for a college dorm

Wist

I didn't bring any consoles (sans my DS and PSP) to college because I was unsure as to how much free time I would have. Having been here for a few weeks I've noticed that I have enough free time to play console games; I don't want all of my free time to go into StarCraft (which a fair amount of it does right now). Unfortunately, because I did not anticipate bringing any consoles to college, I haven't invested in a cheap television. I have one at my mother's house but it's very heavy and bulky; I'm hoping to instead pick up a flat-screen TV of decent quality (ie: doesn't have a seven inch screen and won't fall apart within a year).

Does anybody have any suggestions for a TV? Best Buy has a nineteen inch flat-screen going for $230 which supports 720p (I have a PS3). As far as I can make out from looking at the relevant websites, it is a better value than anything that Wal-Mart currently offers. Is this a fair deal or should I look elsewhere? Circuit City looks promising as well but I am inexperienced in this matter. Will prices be better if I wait for the holidays or Black Friday, or is now as good a time as any? I currently reside in the northeast United States (as does my family) so I probably won't order from a store like Future Shop.

I am grateful for any suggestions or comments you may have.

What is a realistic price range? As a student, I'm naturally not willing to pay anything drastic. Is something around $250 too low a limit? How much will prices for TVs be reduced on Black Friday?

As for what Meteor said: I've briefly looked into hooking a console up to a computer, but it appears that doing so would introduces latency. Please tell me if I'm wrong because I am intending to get a new computer within the next year (the one I use right now is slightly more than four years old).

Edited by Wist

What is a realistic price range? As a student, I'm naturally not willing to pay anything drastic. Is something around $250 too low a limit? How much will prices for TVs be reduced on Black Friday?

As for what Meteor said: I've briefly looked into hooking a console up to a computer, but it appears that doing so would introduces latency. Please tell me if I'm wrong because I am intending to get a new computer within the next year (the one I use right now is slightly more than four years old).

You can get a decent 32" LCD on black Friday for 200 or 250

I will probably use TV speakers and headphones (not at the same time). My dorm room is very small and my room-mate does all of his homework in the room, so I don't think it would be worth my investing in speakers.

I will probably use TV speakers and headphones (not at the same time). My dorm room is very small and my room-mate does all of his homework in the room, so I don't think it would be worth my investing in speakers.

Ok it was just for refrance

Now if you don't have the speakers the HDMI isn't worth it honestly

Is it not worth going for a TV with 720p? Very few PS3 games support 1080p and I don't expect to buy many Blu-ray format movies while at university.

Honestly do you notice the difference between high def and regular? If not there's no point, and are you gonna get high def cable/satellite?

Edited by Doom103

My father uses a PS3 as a Blu-ray player for his 1080p television and I can attest that high definition and regular definition look immensely different. Even though PS3 games natively run at 720p, they look much better on my father's television than the regular 480i television my sister uses. It's also much easier to read small text on higher definition televisions. Am I wrong to assume that PS3 games will not look notably worse on a 720p screen than a 1080p screen?

I won't get any high definition cable or satellite signals, the TV will be only for playing games at college, most likely for the next four years.

Edited by Wist

My father uses a PS3 as a Blu-ray player for his 1080p television and I can attest that high definition and regular definition look immensely different. Even though PS3 games natively run at 720p, they look much better on my father's television than the regular 480i television my sister uses. It's also much easier to read small text on higher definition televisions. Am I wrong to assume that PS3 games will not look notably worse on a 720p screen than a 1080p screen?

I won't get any high definition cable or satellite signals, the TV will be only for playing games at college, most likely for the next four years.

Hmmmmmmm, I think you should get a.............. 720p TV you wont be able to find a decent 1080p at such a low price and if you do the quality will be unwatchable so just wait it out for black firday

Ok, I think I'll wait to get a 720p television in Black Friday. I was leaning towards getting a 720p, presumably with an HDMI input, unless they were too expensive (at which point I'd reluctantly go for 480p), but this is clearly not something I'm experienced with. I'm very grateful for your help Doom103 and Meteor; thank you very much.

Are there any particular brands either of you believe to be more reliable than others?, or is brand not so much indicative of quality.

Ok, I think I'll wait to get a 720p television in Black Friday. I was leaning towards getting a 720p, presumably with an HDMI input, unless they were too expensive (at which point I'd reluctantly go for 480p), but this is clearly not something I'm experienced with. I'm very grateful for your help Doom103 and Meteor; thank you very much.

Are there any particular brands either of you believe to be more reliable than others?, or is brand not so much indicative of quality.

Vizio = PHAIL, worst TV I have ever see

Panosonic is bad too, but they don't make LCD's

You wanna go with a sharp, sony, or samsung and LG is affordable too