How Much Censorship (if any) would a Genealogy localisation get?

Jotari

Genealogy certainly stands out as the most mature of the Fire Emblem games with all the sex, rape, incest, betrayals, child hunting and political plots. Hypothetically speaking, if Nintendo rereleased or remade Genealogy, what, if anything, do you think they would need to change or make less explicit in order to release it? I'd like hear your thoughts and see some examples where such subject matters where present in other games that got localized. I think the fact that it's a 2D game that doesn't have the ability to show anything graphic would actually allow them to get away with quite a lot.

All I want is an official translation on virtual console, without Kaga I do not trust IntSys one bit with his baby.

Also they would be hard pressed to change anything, Awakening didn't shy away from revealing that Julius was Seliph's half-brother. Even if it were toned down and never said outright, anyone could make the guess.

Also they would be hard pressed to change anything, Awakening didn't shy away from revealing that Julius was Seliph's half-brother. Even if it were toned down and never said outright, anyone could make the guess.

But that was a matter of NTR, not incest.

People with the same blood would become distant cousins, Alvis and Deirdre would become distant cousins. Distant cousins pretty much lets you get away with anything.

If they don't delve into who Alvis' mother is, which even in the original game gets very little focus from what I can remember, then there's really not much to cover up. The only important thing is that Alvis has minor holy blood and Deirdre has minor holy blood and that's enough to make major holy blood. Though in all honestly, I wonder if incest is something they even need to cover up. Sure they changed Lucina and Owain to companions in Awakening but they still made the pairing possible. Does anyone know of any other instances where incest was dropped in a localisation or gave a game a certain rating hike.

Also I'm not necessarily talking about a remake or rerelease here. Either would do, I'm just wonder about the ramifications of bringing the game to the west. The possibility that Nintendo could just give it an 18+ rating is very real in my eyes too, especially with the popularity of Game of Thrones and their recent involvement in Bayonetta 2. Of course the game still isn't likely to be made or translated because money but if it was I think hope there's a chance we could get a version that retains everything as it is.

Edited by Jotari

In truth while one side of me would really want it coming out officially in English or whatever language one speaks I'd be kind of afraid. I think part of FE4's charm is it's a little darker. I fear they would tone it down too much. Actually in both script and gameplay.