FE Fates Archetypes

SonPancham

With more research into Fe Fates and characters and such and such, I’ve decided to put Fates characters into archetypes or groups. I’ve decided to use classes instead of character archetypes just to make it easier. For example instead of Cain and Abel I will be using Christmas Duo. Without further ado here I go. However some established Archetypes like Jagen will still exist. Character SPOILERS and gameplay SPOILERS ahead. Third route hasn’t been included. NO storyline SPOILERS as I don’t know the story (I know up to chapter 5). I don’t have the game or read Japanese but have seen gameplay. If you disagree please explain why as long as it is evidence based on character personalities and growths or gameplay mechanics.

Jagen

Gunter obviously. Has a poor growth rates, old etc

Oifey

Felicia/Joker. Both are pre promotes who are useful later on.

Christmas Duo

Saizou and Kaze. Saizou has more strength and skill while Kaze has more speed.

Mercenary unit

Lazward (Also Chrom junior{head canon} He has more skill than speed and his stat spread is more similar to Ogma then Luna’s is.

Axe Duo

Wishing it were Charlotte and Arthur it isn’t. Luckily they are in this game discretely.The Axe duo with one excelling in speed and the other in strength are William and Hormone. William has a strength growth of 60% to Hormones 45% while Hormone has a speed growth of 45% to William’s 30%.

Early Healer

Sakura. Early healer without a mount.

Camus

Ryouma/Marx depending on route. They both fight for their country with honour and loyalty to nation.

Early thief

Kaze or Zero. Both are thieves/ninja

Early bow unit

Setsuna. She joins before Takumi.

Early Armoured Unit

Elfie. Comes early in Nohr storyline

Mage boy toy (lol)

Tsukuyomi. Is a young male spellcaster. Similar to Merric and Ricken.

Horsey Healer

Elise. Similar to Ethlin and Priscilla.

Cornelius

Sumeragi the lobster pin cushion

Early Pegasus Knight

Tsubaki. Comes before Hinoka.

The trap

Tsubaki. Is up there with Lucius and Libra

Dragon Knight Character

Belka(Nohr), Crimson (Hoshido). Both units are the dragon peoples.

Bandit twins

William and Hormone

Edited by SonPancham

Strongly agree with some. Disagree with some others.

Gunther - Jagen - Seems probable. The Jagen is an older mentor-type, and Gunther looks like he will fit this role.

Saizou and Suzukaze - Cain and Abel - Also seems likely. They appear to have somewhat opposing personalities.

Lazward/ Luna - Ogma - Kinda fits. It depends on their stat growths. I think Luna will probably fit this better, as she seems to be more commanding.

Bord and Cord - Harold and Charlotte - Agreed.

Nabarl - possibly Hinata/Kazahana - Neither fits. The Nabarl is distant in personality and starts as an enemy. Unless Kazahana starts off being very cold to the Avatar and fights them--possible, but seems unlikely--it's not accurate. Rinca/Linka, on the other hand, looks like she may fit the Nabarl archetype to a T.

Lena - Sakura - Definitely seems right.

Gharnef or Ephidel - Iago - IMO, probably an Ephidel or even a Michalis. Hard to say right now, though.

Camus - Ryouma/Marx - Seems pretty definite.

Julian - Zero - Possible, but kind of a rough fit. Zero may be a thief, but his real emphasis seems to be in capturing people, and he's a lot meaner than most Julians. Nor does it seem likely that he has a relationship with the Lena or even the Maria/Ethlyn (Elise). I guess it works, though.

Gordin - Takumi/Setsuna - Doubtful. The Gordin joins early at a low level and usually looks up to a more advanced archer unit. Considering Takumi's awesome magic bow, I think he's more likely to be an early powerhouse than the usual Gordin, and he doesn't seem like he looks up to anybody. It's not impossible, though; Mikoto is an archer-healer, after all, so if Takumi looks up to her, then he could fit this archetype even if he comes in powerful. A more likely candidate, however, is Felicia, who uses ranged weapons, is young and inept, and looks up to her superior Joker.

Draug - Elfie - No arguments here.

Merric - Tsukuyomi - No arguments here either.

Minerva - Camilla - Both dragon riders, both princesses, both (may) have to fight their own family. Another agreement.

Ethlin/Maria - Elise - Yep.

Cornelius - Obvs his dad. Forgot the name but he is lobster pin cushion. - HAHAHA, lobster pincushion. Yes, for sure XD

Ninian? - Aqua - Aqua is the Nyna archetype: a royal driven out of her country who is presumably trying to reclaim her throne. She may also be the Jeorge (the archetype Ninian belongs to) depending on how the story handles her.

Caeda? - Hinoka - Hard to say without knowing of a third pegasus knight to see if they fit the Pegasus Sisters archetype instead. She IS a princess pegasus knight, but the two don't seem to have much in common other than that.

Cordelia? - Tsubaki - See above. Another, possibly closer analogue to Cordelia may be Oboro, who has a crush on her superior (Takumi) and is an accomplished warrior.

In addition:

Garon may be a Gharnef or a Michalis. Mozume looks to be perpetrating a new Donnel archetype. Mikoto is basically Emmeryn and therefore may also be a Cornelius, a Wendell or a Nomah, or perhaps a new Emmeryn archetype.

Ahahaha I do agree with some points above. Mainly the Felicia possibly being the Gordon, even though no bows. I think Aqua is more George than Nyna, because Nyna is more of "duty to carry bloodline" which is possible in the hoshido route. Aqua still has plenty of family remaining and isn't the heir to the Nohr throne which is probably due to Marx being the next in line. Oboro is possibly likely, however, Tsubaki I think comes before Hinoka, as shown in the third day of the Nintendo treehouse so he may be the more speedy of the two pegasus knights. No one yet really fits in the Nabarl archetype so I was guessing. Luna is probably the Ogma of the group but it really does depend on stats. Inigo may get a new archetype or hopefully the Saul archetype or Levin which are the flirts of the game.

I dunno about Camilla being this games Minerva.I mean she is already a promoted unit,so I'd say that Belka or Crimson could fit that archetype a bit better(especially crimson whose alliance hasn't been revealed so far and seems to be a possible ally in the hoshido route)

Ahahaha I do agree with some points above. Mainly the Felicia possibly being the Gordon, even though no bows. I think Aqua is more George than Nyna, because Nyna is more of "duty to carry bloodline" which is possible in the hoshido route. Aqua still has plenty of family remaining and isn't the heir to the Nohr throne which is probably due to Marx being the next in line. Oboro is possibly likely, however, Tsubaki I think comes before Hinoka, as shown in the third day of the Nintendo treehouse so he may be the more speedy of the two pegasus knights. No one yet really fits in the Nabarl archetype so I was guessing. Luna is probably the Ogma of the group but it really does depend on stats. Inigo may get a new archetype or hopefully the Saul archetype or Levin which are the flirts of the game.

Teeeeecccccchhhhnically she COULD, because Dragons age funny.

I dunno about Camilla being this games Minerva.I mean she is already a promoted unit,so I'd say that Belka or Crimson could fit that archetype a bit better(especially crimson whose alliance hasn't been revealed so far and seems to be a possible ally in the hoshido route)

But isn't Minerva a promoted unit too?

Also I don't think Hinoka will be our Caeda. IIRC, A defining point of that archetype was that Caeda could recruit a lot of units and was a potential love interest for the protagonist. There haven't been a while lot of those besides Lilina thinking back, and Hinoka doesn't seem like she will fit into either of those requirements.

BTW, this is all based off what I know from 11, not 1, so I'm not entirely sure if it still lines up in 1.

But isn't Minerva a promoted unit too?

Also I don't think Hinoka will be our Caeda. IIRC, A defining point of that archetype was that Caeda could recruit a lot of units and was a potential love interest for the protagonist. There haven't been a while lot of those besides Lilina thinking back, and Hinoka doesn't seem like she will fit into either of those requirements.

BTW, this is all based off what I know from 11, not 1, so I'm not entirely sure if it still lines up in 1.

I think the Caeda will always be the established lover to the lord (except Sumia because I need blue haired Inigo).

Again I am really guessing because they kind of fit

Hopefully we may get a wyvern knight trio (Camilla, Belka and Crimson). Don't see how Crimson would fit in though and how she can relate to the others.

If we get a Samurai that's playable on the Nohr path that might be our Nabarl

Now that I think about it, the archetypes the characters fit may be based on what path you take

Oddly enough, Silas seems like he'll be the Nabarl on the Hoshido path

And Kaze and Saizou would only be Cain and Abel on the Hoshido path wile Kaze might be the Julian in Nohr

On the Nohr path Belka, Camila and Crimson might be the "Pegasus" trio while Crimson becomes the Minerva in Hoshido

Edited by Mysterique Sign

I'm not good at recognising most archetypes outsides basics like Cain/Able or Jaigen.

However I have a complaint on how you started with fates first but quickly flipped to the archetype first and I request you fix it so they're all in the same order.

I disagree on all archetypes except for plot Camus, Michalis and Gharnef, and for gameplay Jagen, Christmas Cavs, Est, Gotoh and Avatar. The others are roughly never used when referring to units, since you can just say "Ward and Lot are Fighters" instead of "Ward and Lot are Bord and Cord's". There's no need to constantly throw around comparisons of a non-FE11 unit with an FE11 unit just because they have the same class, and that's the reason why class-based archetypes are so unfrequently used in discussions (at least from what I've read, maybe I overlooked a place where they're used massively, although I doubt so?).

As someone who's only played Awakening, (and some Sacred Stones before it sadly turned out the cartridge had some problems), I am really interested in these archetypes from reading about them on the wiki. I really want Fates to have an Est. While she apparently doesn't fit the archetype, I found Olivia a really rewarding unit to train, so I'd love to have the full Est experience.

Made a topic a few hours earlier then yours that was the same thing, but it got no posts, so I'll just copy my predictions here:

Nohr:
Gunter (Jeigan)
Lazward (Ogma)
Elise (Maria/Lena)
Zero (Julien)
Garon (Gharnef)
Aqua (Feena/Jeorge)
Effie (Draug)
Odin (Merric)
Belka (Minerva)
Arthur (Bord)
Hoshido:
Sakura (Lena)
Kazahana (Nabarl)
Mikoto (Cornelius)
Takumi (Gordin)
Saizou and Kaze (Abel and Cain) or (Aran and Samson since only one can be recruited in the Nohr version)
Tsukuyomi (Merric)
Mozume (Est)
Crimson (Minerva)

I thought the two ninja brothers were supposed to be taking that over for now?

I mean on the Nohr side. Sorry, should have specified, I had forgotten that most people are talking about the Ninjas. Wait, does that mean Kagerou is in the same boat as Lowen? New golden Cain/Abel counterpart archetype confirmed?!?

E: Wait, there's also that kid from TSS who's name eludes me and I'm too lazy to look up! Kyle's kid brother!

E2: Unless these three are already part of an archetype?

Edited by JothTheConqueror

Since when is Cordelia an archetype?

It's never been. People consider it that due to the whole unrequited love trait Cordelia has can be applied to other characters, when people fail to realize Cordelia's "Archetype" was started by Catria and she was directly inspired by Catria.

Also, I still think Kaze and Saizou are the Aran And Samson in this game due to the fact that only one can be recruited on the Nohr side.

IIRC, the whole reason Fates has such a heavy emphasis of choice was the decision to choose Aran or Samson inspired them. So they might pay homage to that.

I'm not good at recognising most archetypes outsides basics like Cain/Able or Jaigen.

However I have a complaint on how you started with fates first but quickly flipped to the archetype first and I request you fix it so they're all in the same order.

Fixed :) thanks for noticing

I disagree on all archetypes except for plot Camus, Michalis and Gharnef, and for gameplay Jagen, Christmas Cavs, Est, Gotoh and Avatar. The others are roughly never used when referring to units, since you can just say "Ward and Lot are Fighters" instead of "Ward and Lot are Bord and Cord's". There's no need to constantly throw around comparisons of a non-FE11 unit with an FE11 unit just because they have the same class, and that's the reason why class-based archetypes are so unfrequently used in discussions (at least from what I've read, maybe I overlooked a place where they're used massively, although I doubt so?).

Mainly referencing units from FE1 because a lot of trends started there. Bord and Cord are really the first axe duo (Barst is excluded for some reason). I do agree that some could probably be used as early mage or the mercenary group leader. But at the same time, some push towards these "archetypes" . An example is Ricken. Even though he is the second mage received (third if you count Avatar) he uses wind magic and is more similar to Merric than Miriel is thus he is the "Merric" of the game. I just find it easier to reference the archetypes since they kind of have names and labels.

That's sort of what I'm pointing out though, unless there's a thread for the explicit purpose of labelling units to those archetypes, they aren't used particularly often (pretty rarely, in fact). Also, Merric (I'll just go by FE11 since it has higher difficulties) can wreck things on H5 with his 13 Mt Excalibur, whereas Ricken is pretty weak on Lunatic with his 4 Mt Elwind. Plus, he doesn't have a Prf wind magic. If we stop counting his starting tome, since it's equally usable by Miriel or Robin, all that makes Merric and Ricken comparable are their class and gender. They don't perform similarly, though, which makes the statement of Ricken being a "Merric" a misleading one. The ones I picked for gameplay are because they stick out as particularly good (or bad) and one could say they have a major impact on gameplay, since a Jeigan is who makes the early stages more doable (and, depending on game, drops eventually), Christmas Cavs are typically used in every playthrough with good stats all around and high movement, Ests are way behind the stat curve and likely to give you tedium when getting trained, Gotohs are supposed to be awesome statistically, but come very late in the game, and Avatar is a very strong unit modifiable by the player. It's a bit a matter of preference, since all archetypes are pretty arbitrary, but given the gameplay differences between the various Fighters, Knights and Mages, I don't think it's worth arbitrarily comparing them to an FE1 (or FE11, since they have similar units). Outside of this thread or similar ones, I have never seen such units being attributed to class-based archetypes, and I think one could drop those archetypes without anything valuable being lost.