FE Fates Archetypes

SonPancham

I don't like "the first unit of Class X" archetypes like Ogma or Julian, so I'm skipping those.

Saizou & Kaze seem to definitely be the Cain&Abel archetype with their personalities and color schemes.

With Kagerou in the mix, those three could also form a "Ninja Trio" too. We did have a knight trio once after all.

Gunter seems to fit Jegan or Oifey one. Felicia or Jakob might too, it's a bit hard to tell at this point at which points these three join.

Mozume or children will probably fit the Est archetype, but hard to say now. It's almost certain an Est will appear though.

Same with Camus, Gharnef, Gotoh and such, we'll most likely see them. Xander and Ryoma might fit the Gotoh archetype.

On some suggested above:

- Charlotte and Harold don't seem like Bord and Cord to me, since there seems to be no personal relation between them. I value that brotherly relationship in that archetype (For the record I count Wade and Lot but not Boyd and Nolan in this)

- the personality of neither Hinata or Hana fits Nabarl. EDIT: also the recruitable enemy part seems to miss.

- Saizou and Kaze being Arran and Samus in Nohr doesn't work for me since you automatically get Kaze. Ironically enough the nations (and your siblings in them) might fit that archetype though.

Also, what makes an archetype an archetype?

For example, if Catria and Cordelia are enough to become one (though I don't agree), could we talk about a "Lucius" archetype?

Edited by Sylphid

That's sort of what I'm pointing out though, unless there's a thread for the explicit purpose of labelling units to those archetypes, they aren't used particularly often (pretty rarely, in fact). Also, Merric (I'll just go by FE11 since it has higher difficulties) can wreck things on H5 with his 13 Mt Excalibur, whereas Ricken is pretty weak on Lunatic with his 4 Mt Elwind. Plus, he doesn't have a Prf wind magic. If we stop counting his starting tome, since it's equally usable by Miriel or Robin, all that makes Merric and Ricken comparable are their class and gender. They don't perform similarly, though, which makes the statement of Ricken being a "Merric" a misleading one. The ones I picked for gameplay are because they stick out as particularly good (or bad) and one could say they have a major impact on gameplay, since a Jeigan is who makes the early stages more doable (and, depending on game, drops eventually), Christmas Cavs are typically used in every playthrough with good stats all around and high movement, Ests are way behind the stat curve and likely to give you tedium when getting trained, Gotohs are supposed to be awesome statistically, but come very late in the game, and Avatar is a very strong unit modifiable by the player. It's a bit a matter of preference, since all archetypes are pretty arbitrary, but given the gameplay differences between the various Fighters, Knights and Mages, I don't think it's worth arbitrarily comparing them to an FE1 (or FE11, since they have similar units). Outside of this thread or similar ones, I have never seen such units being attributed to class-based archetypes, and I think one could drop those archetypes without anything valuable being lost.

Hmm, you make valid points. However, I think the idea of archetypes mainly link similar characteristics. This thread is about mainly trying to match up characters from Fates with other characters in past games with similar personalities/traits/trends. Through using names(though it may not be common) its easier to link characters from this game with certain recurring traits with those from previous games. We could drop archetypes like these, but its fun to match them up.

I don't like "the first unit of Class X" archetypes like Ogma or Julian, so I'm skipping those.

Saizou & Kaze seem to definitely be the Cain&Abel archetype with their personalities and color schemes.

With Kagerou in the mix, those three could also form a "Ninja Trio" too. We did have a knight trio once after all.

Gunter seems to fit Jegan or Oifey one. Felicia or Jakob might too, it's a bit hard to tell at this point at which points these three join.

Mozume or children will probably fit the Est archetype, but hard to say now. It's almost certain an Est will appear though.

Same with Camus, Gharnef, Gotoh and such, we'll most likely see them. Xander and Ryoma might fit the Gotoh archetype.

On some suggested above:

- Charlotte and Harold don't seem like Bord and Cord to me, since there seems to be no personal relation between them. I value that brotherly relationship in that archetype (For the record I count Wade and Lot but not Boyd and Nolan in this)

- the personality of neither Hinata or Hana fits Nabarl. EDIT: also the recruitable enemy part seems to miss.

- Saizou and Kaze being Arran and Samus in Nohr doesn't work for me since you automatically get Kaze. Ironically enough the nations (and your siblings in them) might fit that archetype though.

Also, what makes an archetype an archetype?

For example, if Catria and Cordelia are enough to become one (though I don't agree), could we talk about a "Lucius" archetype?

I too value the brother/camaraderie thing as well. However, we don't know if Harold and Charlotte are related yet or not (they are both blond, hopefully brother and sister). I do like how the siblings can be Arran and Samson (not Samus lol too much metroid for you). Lucius as an archetype could be since we consider Catria as one. It has Lucius, Libra and that heron guy (name escapes me) from Radian Dawn I suppose. Question: Would we consider Lon'qu a Nabarl?

I too value the brother/camaraderie thing as well. However, we don't know if Harold and Charlotte are related yet or not (they are both blond, hopefully brother and sister). I do like how the siblings can be Arran and Samson (not Samus lol too much metroid for you). Lucius as an archetype could be since we consider Catria as one. It has Lucius, Libra and that heron guy (name escapes me) from Radian Dawn I suppose. Question: Would we consider Lon'qu a Nabarl?

True it's possible Charlotte and Harold are related. At the moment we just know them as "Elize's subordinate with da chin" and "gold-digger mercenary" though and I'm trying to avoid speculation as much as possible here :P

But They could fit Bord & Cord if they actually are closely related.

I blame auto-correct on that Samus thing. (And having to add Samus into the dictionary in the first place)

You mean Reyson? Or Rafiel? Maybe, I don't remember if their gender was ever questioned (yes that's my main trait for a "Lucius"). Also, Midayle from FE4 could fit too. And Tsubaki Definitely. for meta reasons if nothing else

I wouldn't consider Lon'qu a Nabarl myself, since he's not a recruitable enemy, but his personality fits.

Kind of related to that, the reason I don't like "first of class X" archetypes is because most are so loosely defined and all-inclusive. I just can't see Kellam, Gatrie, Meg and Oswin as same archetype as Draug, for example.

True it's possible Charlotte and Harold are related. At the moment we just know them as "Elize's subordinate with da chin" and "gold-digger mercenary" though and I'm trying to avoid speculation as much as possible here :P

But They could fit Bord & Cord if they actually are closely related.

I blame auto-correct on that Samus thing. (And having to add Samus into the dictionary in the first place)

You mean Reyson? Or Rafiel? Maybe, I don't remember if their gender was ever questioned (yes that's my main trait for a "Lucius"). Also, Midayle from FE4 could fit too. And Tsubaki Definitely. for meta reasons if nothing else

I wouldn't consider Lon'qu a Nabarl myself, since he's not a recruitable enemy, but his personality fits.

Kind of related to that, the reason I don't like "first of class X" archetypes is because most are so loosely defined and all-inclusive. I just can't see Kellam, Gatrie, Meg and Oswin as same archetype as Draug, for example.

Reyson (not included for now) is the one I think. Possibly Tsubaki and Midayle as the Lucius. This means we have at least 4 characters (Lucius, Midayle, Libra, Tsubaki) in the archetype so possibly it is one now. I agree with "first class of x" being very vague as well, though I think Kellam and Oswin are still Draugs. I think the Draug should have probably be defined as "Early armour knight with loyalty/close affliation with x lord. Kellam is connected with Chrom (kind of iffy) and Oswin is definitely connected to Hector. Maybe its because they don't have green on them you can't see them as Draugs?

I agree with "first class of x" being very vague as well, though I think Kellam and Oswin are still Draugs. I think the Draug should have probably be defined as "Early armour knight with loyalty/close affliation with x lord. Kellam is connected with Chrom (kind of iffy) and Oswin is definitely connected to Hector. Maybe its because they don't have green on them you can't see them as Draugs?

Actually, the reason I can't group them together is that their personalities are so different.

Also, my point was more that Meg, Gatrie, Kellam, etc. are all hard to group together (sorry I was unclear about this). I agree that Oswin and maybe Kellam fit though.