Too Many Promoted Units in Nohr?

GigaNerd17

First-time poster here. Greetings!

What I find most puzzling about Fire Emblem Fates is the obscene number of promoted units we're getting early on in the Nohr route. We have:

Xander (Paladin)

Camilla (Revenant Knight)

Leo (Dark Knight)

Gunter (Great Knight)

Felicia/Jacob (Maid/Butler, assuming it's a Rod Knight promotion)

Even in Hoshido, where your siblings are less experienced, we still get:

Ryoma (Trueblade)

Gunter (Great Knight)

Felicia/Jacob (Maid/Butler)

I've only been playing the series from Path of Radiance onwards, so sue me if I'm wrong, but the most we ever start out with in these games is a Jagen; having this many promoted units almost seems ludicrous. Why do you think this is the case, and what repercussions might this have?

Edited by GigaNerd17

I say "wow, that's a lot of units I'm gonna have to temperarely bench."

Nah, I'm sure players will find themselves using the unpromoted units as well, especially considering Pieri's absolutely BEAUITIFUL skill.

We don't actually know when these units join.

The treehouse showed us Nohr chapter 7, which is the start of the actual Nohr route, and the only units available were 5 normal units and one pre-promote, if I remember right it was similar on the Hoshido side, although with more units in total there was still only one pre-promote. The other pre-promotes might not join up for quite a while.

A theory that some people have had is that in Hoshido, everyone is fighting towards the same goal of fending off the Nohrian invaders, so it makes sense for your Hoshidan unpromoted siblings to join you somewhat early. Whereas in Nohr, since your goal is presumably to overthrow your own father, your Nohrian siblings will need more convincing (i.e. more chapters) until they also decide to rebel and end up joining as a permanent member of your roster. The powerful prepromotes on either side will probably temporarily join you from time to time on particularly important earlier chapters though.

We don't actually know when these units join.

The treehouse showed us Nohr chapter 7, which is the start of the actual Nohr route, and the only units available were 5 normal units and one pre-promote, if I remember right it was similar on the Hoshido side, although with more units in total there was still only one pre-promote. The other pre-promotes might not join up for quite a while.

You didn't even get GUNTER for that chapter. :< The prepromote (Felicia) also did minimal damage (even at level 10) and was also a healer. Such is the life of someone in a hybrid class.

My opinion's the same as pretty much everyone else's. Prepromoted siblings shouldn't be a problem, because you're likely going to get them later in Nohr than you would in Hoshido.

[spoiler=Possible spoilers]Garon sends you off on a suicide mission to quell the Wind Clan, so you're not likely going to acquire a sibling anytime soon, because the internal politics will likely keep them away from you until they're forced to intervene. He's probably going to try and play keepaway in regards to you and your siblings.

Anybody who's dealt with bureaucratic/political, behind-the-back nonsense should know how time-consuming it is to resolve, and since this is one of the advertised draws to Nohr route, I think it should be expected.

I say "wow, that's a lot of units I'm gonna have to temperarely bench."

Nah, I'm sure players will find themselves using the unpromoted units as well, especially considering Pieri's absolutely BEAUITIFUL skill.

What was this said skill again?

Yeah I dunno, I never use prepromotes, with literally the only exceptions I make being Gotohs, so I'm a little disappointed by this but we'll see.

Welcome to SF, OP.

What was this said skill again?

Killer Instinct: If user KOs an enemy with their attack, Strength, Magic, Skill and Speed +4 for one turn.

Edit: The direct copy/paste from the site looked good, but transferred over horrendously.

Edited by Sakusa

Killer Instinct: If user KOs an enemy with their attack, Strength, Magic, Skill and Speed +4 for one turn.

Edit: The direct copy/paste from the site looked good, but transferred over horrendously.

*whistles* Damn that's gonna be useful. Couple that with Galeforce and she could be a one woman wrecking crew

*whistles* Damn that's gonna be useful. Couple that with Galeforce and she could be a one woman wrecking crew

I don't think Nohr units will get the Pegasus Knight class if Galeforce is even available in the game. Though she'd be a good character to refresh with Azura's song.

I think the Siblings on the Nohr side join you later on.

Even in Hoshido just by siding with them did not make all four of the siblings join you instantly. It's more that they are vital parts of the story and will join you at the specific points.

But yeah, it's weird to see so many promoted units overall. Like others said though, I think for Nohr it's because of the higher difficulty and overall grinding seems less useful in this game (Particularly on Nohr where you cannot grind). So giving you stronger units makes sense.

I think the Siblings on the Nohr side join you later on.

Even in Hoshido just by siding with them did not make all four of the siblings join you instantly. It's more that they are vital parts of the story and will join you at the specific points.

But yeah, it's weird to see so many promoted units overall. Like others said though, I think for Nohr it's because of the higher difficulty and overall grinding seems less useful in this game (Particularly on Nohr where you cannot grind). So giving you stronger units makes sense.

Agreed, so far second seals aren't confirmed either. Only parallel seals which do not lower your level. This means grinding is much less useful this time around, both to get stats and skills.

Couple that with Nohrs increased difficulty and less chances for grinding and this is essentially why we have these promoted units. We're going to need them, that's for sure