Anyone remember the old cheat code systems for Nintendo games?

Anacybele

I'm talking about stuff like the Game Genie for SNES. I think the N64 had something called Gameshark. I never had that one, but I did have the SNES's Game Genie. My brothers and I used a bunch of codes from it. :P

I remember using one in Super Mario World to get endless invincibility because I was so bad at video games back then. Some games also had their own cheat code screens, like Battle Tanx on N64. My one brother and I used the invincibility code there all the time too, because of the fricken campaign mode. It was really hard without being invincible. xP

So yeah, anyone else remember the Game Genie and such? Fun memories it gives me. :P

I had a Game Shark for the N64. I remember the hilarity behind my friends and I talking about it like it was the videogame equivalent of underground drug dealing. Even so I had a blast with it just seeing the kind of crazy stuff you could make happen in games because of it like starting out Ocarina of Time with all items and 20 hearts or unlocking everything in Goldeneye.

I had an Action Replay for my GCN. I tried using it to add Zelgius to my FE9 team and completely nuked my memory card.

literally everytime I experiment with AR it always nukes my save files.

I did have fun with the debug mode in Smash Bros Melee thanks to the AR. Me and my friends got to play stages that you weren't even suppose to be allowed to play on and playing with master hand was hilarious.

It was a great exposure to learn what gaming testing was like before release as it allows you do a huge amount of combinations to test various things like characters, hitboxes, stages, playing with damage modifiers etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f084RFIepe0

Edited by kingddd

I primarily bought my AR to access the Melee debug menu, good times was had there. The most mileage I got out of it was unlocking all the stuff in F-Zero GX, that game was way too hardcore for me.