How to Install Japanese IME's on Windows 7?

FionordeQuester

I tried to follow this site here...

https://coscom.co.jp/learnjapanese801/install_ime.html

But even after doing all of the steps listed there for Step 1, I cannot get my keyboard to type anything different, nor can I get the Language Input option to show up on my taskbar. I'm not sure why it's not working but, I guess what I'm asking is, for those who succeeded in learning how to type Japanese characters, how did you do it?

This would be extremely helpful for my FE4 Let's Play, as there is quite a bit in the way of translation tidbits I put in there, and it's very time consuming trying to do that when I have to manually copy and paste Japanese characters rather than being able to type them out. Anyways though, whatever answers come (or don't come), have a nice night, and God bless you all!

Take some screenshots of the various steps along the way, so we can identify where it's failing, because there's no other way for us to help you because that's how enabling the Microsoft IME is done.

Okey doke, here we go! Here's the screens I checked, all in order, with the last one being the resulting screen after everything I did in the previous screens...

IME%201.png

IME%202.png

IME%203.png

IME%204.png

IME%205.png

IME%206.png

And here's the last one...

IME%207.png

Edited by FionordeQuester

You need to add Japanese, not just Microsoft IME.

Edit: Never mind I have no idea what's wrong maybe you could try switching locales?

Or put Japanese at the top of the list and as such higher priority than Microsoft IME.

Edited by SYMPHOGEAAHHHHHH

Okay, next I guess you need to make sure your language bar is not set to hidden or anything.

dk91sgi.jpg

Also, what shows up if you click the drop down triangle over near the date/time, network, etc. area?

Alright, I did what you suggested, and unfortunately, no dice :( . As for the drop down triangle, it gives me this...

IME%209.png

And after selection customize, it brings me these screens here...

IME%2010.png

IME%2011.png

Finally, I decided to check the "Always show all icons and behaviors on Taskbar" button, after which, my Desktop now looks like this...

IME%2012.png

Sigh...

Hey, good news! Turns out, the language bar option and everything DOES show up...but, only when Java is asking me if I want to make any changes to my computer. So there's still nothing else visible in my task bar. The only way I can change the language is if I click on the Java icon, wait for the screen to dim and ask if I want to allow Java to make any changes, and then, only THEN will I have the option appear in the top right corner of my screen. And even then, it only gives me "Caps" and "Kana" as options, so I can only type out Katakana, like this....

シハシチトシイテイキテキステキハノトマハチラテイレハマチイステセラキマイスヂマニテチスキケセイテチキイナデチナマキスセハヒイトナヂキワテスイセ

I dunno what the deal with this is...but hey, at least we're one step closer, right?