Am I the only one who doesnt hate skinship?

Silverdawn77

I like the skinship feature, even if it's out of place in a FE game, Fates doesn't feel like a FE game in general. I thought Awakening did a good job of keeping the fan service to a minimum yet still keep it a FE-like game, but Fates feels more like a self-insert/fanservice video game, so I can't take Fates as a serious game and so the skipship doesn't really out of place imo.

But, geez, I wish kids can't be S-ranked with full-grown adults... Tsukuyomi, Elise, Sakura, and Midoriko's amie lines, anyone? And marrying kids and having kids with them is... ugh, just no.

Edited by Yuina

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the feature is fine... just not going to let my friend get a hold of it... Last time that happened she kept spamming the injured sounds a girl character made while I was driving the car... Each... one... Still play Summon Night: Twin Age normally though.

Edited by xiaopan1987

To be honest, I know I may be on the minority on the site, but I actually love the direction the series is going in. I enjoyed the earlier games, but they're difficult, induce rage, and are not new-player friendly. "An anime you can live in" is fun, in my opinion. Skinship is...odd to me, but I'm curious as to how it will work once localised.

Even if I think it's a sily thing to put in a FE game and it's a weird thing to do I actually came to like. But I'll only do it with a handful of characters so it won't be too weird.

Its easily the most pointless and stupid feature they added and I love the concept of my castle, I don't even mind the fan service.

But FEAmie is where I draw the line. Its doubtful I'll ever use it, the hot springs at least make sense as an army's gotta relax and such, but this? It just doesn't make much sense with someone who isn't your lover.

Its easily the most pointless and stupid feature they added and I love the concept of my castle, I don't even mind the fan service.

But FEAmie is where I draw the line. Its doubtful I'll ever use it, the hot springs at least make sense as an army's gotta relax and such, but this? It just doesn't make much sense with someone who isn't your lover.

This is where I decided it got amusingly creepy. Especially since you're sitting in My Room with your spouse, you call someone up, and you start rubbing on their face while said spouse watches. I mean, this made sense if you were calling up your kids to a certain extent, but, who would really be okay with watching your partner doing something like that without wanting to whack them in the head or booting the new guy out of the treehouse...? However, having said that, I admit that I'm currently of the opinion your spouse joins in on the facerubbing. Because two pairs of hands are better than one. I'll be letting myself out now.

When the mechanic was first introduced, I was extremely leery. I understood PokeAmie, and I liked it, because I was petting creatures not people. I've always been a person who's very jealous of my personal space with strangers, so the idea of rubbing on someone just weirded me out. I most certainly would not want to be on the recieving end of it, which marred my initial view on it...

... and then translated dialogue during the skinshipping started getting released, and I started laughing really hard as I realized some of the characters in-game were having the same reaction I was having to facerubbing. That took the awkard edge right off, and I'm not going to lie, I had a lot of fun hearing some of the "lewder" lines spoken by my favourites. Knowing that said lines were only spoken after marriage eased the last of my concerns and hesitations, and I gave in and embraced it entirely. Mind you, I'll probably only be using it for my spouse and kids of the playthrough, (and more than likely Kaze for my Nohr path...), but it remains both a useful and amusing addition that I find no reason to ignore.

Such a waste of high-quality 2-D animations and voice-acting budget. This is where it ultimately just feels like shameless otaku pandering; hopefully, the feedback they receive is enough to discourage them from doing this again.

Such a waste of high-quality 2-D animations and voice-acting budget. This is where it ultimately just feels like shameless otaku pandering; hopefully, the feedback they receive is enough to discourage them from doing this again.

Considering the game already outsold Awakening in Japan that's highly unlikely.

I honestly doubt the feedback they're receiving is bad, seeing as how plenty of people love the feature. Just look at some of the YouTube comments. And (I think someone here pointed it out?) most people are more or less neutral to the feature, so it's not like IS is going to lose that much from investing in a feature that pleases one side of the fandom.

I personally don't think the feature is that good of an option, but from a marketing viewpoint, I'd definitely add it for a new FE game if I was on the developing team.

Edited by Minischew

I quite like the skinship mechanic. Not because I have an interest in the whole face rubbing thing, but I think the mechanic is so shameless and ackward that it stops being creepy and starts going into funny territory.

Edited by Sasori

I'm mostly talking about feedback from outside of Japan; we don't know how the general public will react to it, or if the localizers won't decide to just cut it entirely due to regional customs.

EDIT:

I quite like the skinship mechanic. Not because I have an interest in the whole face rubbing thing, but I think the mechanic is so shameless and ackward that it stops being creepy and starts going into funny territory.

I think I have a word for that: ridiculous.

Edited by The DanMan

I'm mostly talking about feedback from outside of Japan; we don't know how the general public will react to it, or if the localizers won't decide to just cut it entirely due to regional customs.

That's true, but I can't really imagine why people would take it so negatively. Sure, it's pandering, but that's seen in other games as well. So I'm pretty sure most gamers are used to those types of features by now.

And if the localization team takes it out, well then, you have nothing to worry about.

Edited by Minischew

I think cutting a feature that's heavily advertised in the game would be excessive, if not an outright bad decision. At most they'll just tone down some of the most suggestive lines, but in no way do I think they'll cut out a feature entirely.

Edited by Swirl-Theory

I think cutting a feature that's heavily advertised in the game would be excessive, if not an outright bad decision. At most they'll just tone down some of the most suggestive lines, but in no way do I think they'll cut out a feature entirely.

Technically it hasn't been advertised overseas at all, though most people are probably aware of it anyway due to all the internet coverage it's gotten

That's true, but I can't really imagine why people would take it so negatively. Sure, it's pandering, but that's seen in other games as well. So I'm pretty sure most gamers are used to those types of features by now.

And if the localization team takes it out, well then, you have nothing to worry about.

I'm not quite saying "negative reactions" as much as people being weirded out by it.

Where has this been featured in advertising (or even officially mentioned) outside of Japan?

Edited by The DanMan

Technically it hasn't been advertised overseas at all, though most people are probably aware of it anyway due to all the internet coverage it's gotten

Yeah, I'm aware that it hasn't been advertised overseas, but I'm just saying that it's more or less an integral part of the game, even if you're not forced to use it. I say "integral" because of what you stated, most people already got used to it if they didn't like it before or they just accepted it from the beginning, save for a few that don't like/mind it.

Us in america as a whole love the Bioware games. Its gonna be received well here too likely just from that alone.

Odd comparison? Well Bioware loves shoehorning in sex scenes, Fates doesn't quite do that but to the point you can guess it'd happen, people will go nuts for it.

Its cute, but honestly... Ehh. It won't kill me to have the feature. And because it has some relation to gameplay (inc support level), might as well use it.

I'm not quite saying "negative reactions" as much as people being weirded out by it.

Where has this been featured in advertising (or even officially mentioned) outside of Japan?

Like I said before (and I should have specified in my original post, sorry), I'm aware that it hasn't even been mentioned outside of Japan. But I really don't think it's anything weird to be able to rub the characters' faces. Tomodachi life allowed you to and nobody was weirded out by it.

Also, the suggestive lines are reserved for married couples, there's nothing wrong with them talking to you like that if you're married.

Us in america as a whole love the Bioware games. Its gonna be received well here too likely just from that alone.

Odd comparison? Well Bioware loves shoehorning in sex scenes, Fates doesn't quite do that but to the point you can guess it'd happen, people will go nuts for it.

True. But Dragon Age/Mass Effect fans and the audience for Fire Emblem (and the one that at least Nintendo thinks their consoles have) don't have a major overlap.

And wasn't there media coverage of said sex scenes (which I've seen described by fans of those games as some of the most boring cutscenes in any videogame)?

And there's the whole issue of the ESRB maybe being weirded out by it (they're an odd, somewhat inconsistent/unpredictable group).

EDIT:

Like I said before (and I should have specified in my original post, sorry), I'm aware that it hasn't even been mentioned outside of Japan. But I really don't think it's anything weird to be able to rub the characters' faces. Tomodachi life allowed you to and nobody was weirded out by it.

Also, the suggestive lines are reserved for married couples, there's nothing wrong with them talking to you like that if you're married.

I didn't see your correction.

As for Tomodachi life, they're... well... miis. It's cutesy; people don't quite sympathize with them as human. How many people who play the game keep guys in hamster suits, singing goofy, lewd excuses for songs? (Plus, the media was dragging it through a veritable hell for the lack of a gay option.)

Edited by The DanMan

I hope they expand it enormously in the next game. Let me rub side characters, generics, random monsters, hell my dog for all I care, and make it way more in depth and expansive too, with multiple characters at once or with much larger amounts of dialogue based on where you are in the story or something. It's great and I hope it's here to stay.

I hope they expand it enormously in the next game. Let me rub side characters, generics, random monsters, hell my dog for all I care, and make it way more in depth and expansive too, with multiple characters at once or with much larger amounts of dialogue based on where you are in the story or something. It's great and I hope it's here to stay.

We should be able to rub Lilith.

True. But Dragon Age/Mass Effect fans and the audience for Fire Emblem (and the one that at least Nintendo thinks their consoles have) don't have a major overlap.

And wasn't there media coverage of said sex scenes (which I've seen described by fans of those games as some of the most boring cutscenes in any videogame)?

And there's the whole issue of the ESRB maybe being weirded out by it (they're an odd, somewhat inconsistent/unpredictable group).

Well in Dragon Age Origins (overall a solid game), one sex scene is like heavily involved with the plot and its pretty tacted on to add more drama to a possible love triangle, its a pretty key part of the game to my annoyance.

And well a lot of game fans overlap these days, I know a fair few Bioware fans who are also FE fans. On this very site even, and I mean Nintendo has published some M rated things in the past few generations, No More Heroes, MadWorld, Bayonetta 2, SMT IV etc.

Edited by Jedi

I agree. It's way more fun and interesting than that fighting mini-game they make you do with your characters sometimes, with those inferior 3D models.