Serenes Forest 1v1 Tourney Community

Ragnell

Well, yeah, you're right. This isn't really a TRUE tourney or anything where there's a winner and losers. And maybe I just improve slower than others. Who knows? I should just keep playing and not worry about my skill level. I'll join up later. :)

And yeah, I prefer using Ike on non-FD/Omega stages myself because of how much of an advantage it gives projectiles. Even though I actually use one on Ike myself (Aether Wave). :P

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I was stuck in lab when the tourney started, so I hope it's going well. If anyone wants to fight, I'll be in the tourney for a bit.

Nobody's played in it but me and Tsu so far. And I think I'm done unless we scrap the 1v1 rule. Every time someone comes in, we still have to wait like a minute and a half for the match to actually start. It's boring. Also, we should make a rule not to spike people when they fall off the stage by accident (rather than being launched). I don't think that's playing fair. It's causing me to lose really really fast, especially when I use Luigi since he's slippery.

I'm still no good though. It's sad how bad I am when I've been playing this game for months while just about everyone else is an expert...

Edited by Anacybele

I'm in here if anyone wants to play.

If you are Ray, you've got a mean Palutena! Sorry to cut out as soon as soon as I won one match like a FG scrub, but my girlfriend just booted me from the system. And sorry about the SD's at the beginning. Dunno what was going on, but I appreciate you evening the fight.

That last match was so close. My first time facing a Kongbender. That punch is terrifying with Ike's limited recovery options. I need to transfer my custom Ike builds from 3DS so I can get Close Combat haha

If you are Ray, you've got a mean Palutena! Sorry to cut out as soon as soon as I won one match like a FG scrub, but my girlfriend just booted me from the system. And sorry about the SD's at the beginning. Dunno what was going on, but I appreciate you evening the fight.

That last match was so close. My first time facing a Kongbender. That punch is terrifying with Ike's limited recovery options. I need to transfer my custom Ike builds from 3DS so I can get Close Combat haha

Yeah, I'm Ray, and thanks! Those were some good games.

GGs, Wolf. I'll be on later if you want to play some more.

Edited by Tsunami922

As for Mii fighter settings, I have no initial rules for Mii sizes, costumes, etc., since I really don't see any disadvantages to Mii customization other than making it difficult to learn how to combo the suckers. I'm not super informed on the debate, though, so I encourage anyone with concerns over this issue to speak up.

I think Mii Brawlers at the smallest size/s are able to zero-to-death heavy characters. I read this quite a while ago (patch 1.0.4, maybe?) on SmashBoards so it's possible that it has since been patched or proven inaccurate, or maybe I'm even remembering wrong. It might be worth looking into, though I doubt anyone here would try and exploit it. Figured I'd mention it just in case.

Also, we should make a rule not to spike people when they fall off the stage by accident (rather than being launched). I don't think that's playing fair. It's causing me to lose really really fast, especially when I use Luigi since he's slippery.

I can't agree to this. If you made a mistake and went offstage accidentally, that's your fault and the opponent is allowed to punish that. Fighting games are pretty much all about punishing opponent's mistakes.

If you were fighting a character with a wall-cling, and they accidentally stuck to the side of the stage instead of sweetspotting the ledge while recovering, would you try to hit them? By your logic, you shouldn't; they have made a mistake, so it isn't fair to hit them until they recover properly.

I'm still no good though. It's sad how bad I am when I've been playing this game for months while just about everyone else is an expert...

Look, I understand that it's frustrating and depressing to be losing all the time. But it's just another step to getting better. Even when you think you're learning nothing and getting nowhere, you're still getting better.

Hardly anyone here is an expert. I regularly get destroyed on For Glory.

Everybody here is probably looking to have fun and get better, the same as you.

This isn't a true Tournament, remember, just a platform to practise and play against a bunch of other people, (hopefully) stress-free.

Having said that, being outclassed does get very tiresome and if it's getting to you, it's fine to take a break for as long as you need.

Just don't be so quick to give up; your Ike and Luigi aren't bad at all.

I saw you make some really nice reads in that first Tournament, and you beat me in a match, too!

I can't agree to this. If you made a mistake and went offstage accidentally, that's your fault and the opponent is allowed to punish that. Fighting games are pretty much all about punishing opponent's mistakes.

If you were fighting a character with a wall-cling, and they accidentally stuck to the side of the stage instead of sweetspotting the ledge while recovering, would you try to hit them? By your logic, you shouldn't; they have made a mistake, so it isn't fair to hit them until they recover properly.

No, I wouldn't. I'd rather both players have a fighting chance rather than give one a big advantage like right away. I just feel that if you get spiked from just slipping off the stage unintentionally, you might as well have just SD'd. But if others don't agree, well, I gotta respect that.

Look, I understand that it's frustrating and depressing to be losing all the time. But it's just another step to getting better. Even when you think you're learning nothing and getting nowhere, you're still getting better.

Hardly anyone here is an expert. I regularly get destroyed on For Glory.

Everybody here is probably looking to have fun and get better, the same as you.

This isn't a true Tournament, remember, just a platform to practise and play against a bunch of other people, (hopefully) stress-free.

Having said that, being outclassed does get very tiresome and if it's getting to you, it's fine to take a break for as long as you need.

Just don't be so quick to give up; your Ike and Luigi aren't bad at all.

I saw you make some really nice reads in that first Tournament, and you beat me in a match, too!

Well, I get beaten good by a lot of people here. xP

Taking a break if I get frustrated is a good idea though, I actually do that with other games.

Thanks, though, I'm glad you don't think I'm bad. I do wonder if some of those reads you're talking about weren't actually true reads and and just dumb luck, but I do notice I can make a true read sometimes anyway. I just feel like this doesn't happen often at all while I get read perfectly all the time and I keep wondering how my opponent does it.

Also, we should make a rule not to spike people when they fall off the stage by accident (rather than being launched). I don't think that's playing fair. It's causing me to lose really really fast, especially when I use Luigi since he's slippery.

Sorry, but... this is a really ridiculous thing to suggest. A huge thing in competitive games, be it fighting, sports, shooters, or whatever, is that players wait for an opening to punish opponents for their mistakes, and if someone falls off the stage for any reason and I have the chance to hit him for a kill, I WILL do it.

Another problem with this is that if it's made an official rule, well, what's stopping someone who is losing from faking a fall and calling for redoing the match? This is online playing, so there's no way to prove it, and while I trust several people here, I don't know everyone enough to just trust the honor system. I can't support adding a rule that encourages a form of foul play.

Another problem with this is that if it's made an official rule, well, what's stopping someone who is losing from faking a fall and calling for redoing the match? This is online playing, so there's no way to prove it, and while I trust several people here, I don't know everyone enough to just trust the honor system. I can't support adding a rule that encourages a form of foul play.

Well, you do have a point here. I hadn't thought of that. I'd rather this not happen, so uh, ignore my suggestion. Sorry about that, folks. xP

I just said I do... :P Or would you rather have a different opponent today? I don't mind if that's the case, we HAVE been playing a lot lately... And I complained too much... Sorry about that... Though it wasn't about you specifically, Tsu, I swear.

Edited by Anacybele

I just said I do... :P Or would you rather have a different opponent today? I don't mind if that's the case, we HAVE been playing a lot lately... And I complained too much... Sorry about that... Though it wasn't about you specifically, Tsu, I swear.

Sorry about that, I didn't look at when that was posted. We can play, if you want.

Oh, okay then, let's go. You're a good training partner for me anyway given how much you beat me. You don't beat me so bad that I hardly do anything to you, but I still can't seem to take more than one stock off ya. Someday I'll put up a better fight! Someday...

Edited by Anacybele

It's really laggy today for some reason, isn't it? :(

Oh, okay then, let's go. You're a good training partner for me anyway given how much you beat me. You don't beat me so bad that I hardly do anything to you, but I still can't seem to take more than one stock off ya. Someday I'll put up a better fight! Someday...

Just keep playing, and you'll get better! Don't give up!

Yeah, that lag was getting on my nerves... Sorry for leaving already. And yes, I realized I was playing Jave too. At least I think it was Jave, he's the only Pac-Man player I know around here. I think...?

Anyway, yeah, it wasn't regular lag I was having though, for the most part, it was input lag. Caused me to SD more than usual because it read my command too late... -_-

But right, I'll keep playing in general...when there's no lag. xP

Oh, and sorry for just giving up in that one match, Tsu, I just wanted to go ONE match for once without SDing...

Edited by Anacybele

Anyone up for playing in about an hour?

I'm ready for a match right now, just hanging out in the match lobby!

Edit: 15 wins eh, Ray? I just got into this so I'm at 0, but I'm ready for a tough opponent to start off!

post match #1 update:

OH GOD THE DELAY WHAT IS GOING ON

Okay, I thought I was like OKAY at sm4sh, but jeez. You're good, Ray.

I need to reassess my life after that Charizard 3-stock...

tfw I lost all 8 matches I had with Ray. GG, you're really good and it's obvious I need a ton of practice instead of just watching a ton of smash videos/streams. lol.

Edited by Theguru1020

Charizard's OP, don't worry about losing to him. A few characters are, in fact (Sheik and ZSS being two more examples...). xP

And sorry I haven't hopped in, the TV got taken sometime after I posted...

Charizard's OP, don't worry about losing to him. A few characters are, in fact (Sheik and ZSS being two more examples...). xP

And sorry I haven't hopped in, the TV got taken sometime after I posted...

I watch a ton of competitive smash and I'm really into the smash community(ies), so I know matchups and what tools everybody in the cast has. It's just I suck ass at responding, reads, pretty much like everything, lol. There's a reason I watch sets more than I play games xD