Understanding Marriage and stuffs

Monokumo

Hi guys. I'm here to ask you some questions about pairing units in Fire Emblem Awakenings.

First of all I want to know if I have to Pair and Marry units, keeping in mind their stats. I explain me better : I have to marry 2 Character with the " same " Stats growth, for example two STR units, or to cover their Weaknesses, so their child doesn't have Weaknesses but Lacks in his Major Stat? And also I read somewhere that Pairing units will boost Stats growth based on who Support the lead of the group: so, keeping in mind this, I have to Pair units for levelling them, after reaching S Support with their respective husband and wife, to Max their Major Stats?

Sorry if I explained me bad but I don't know really how to say that :P

Edited by Monokumo

Hi guys. I'm here to ask you some questions about pairing units in Fire Emblem Awakenings.
First of all I want to know if I have to Pair and Marry units, keeping in mind their stats. I explain me better : I have to marry 2 Character with the " same " Stats growth, for example two STR units, or to cover their Weaknesses, so their child doesn't have Weaknesses but Lacks in his Major Stat? And also I read somewhere that Pairing units will boost Stats growth based on who Support the lead of the group: so, keeping in mind this, I have to Pair units for levelling them, after reaching S Support with their respective husband and wife, to Max their Major Stats?
Sorry if I explained me bad but I don't know really how to say that :P

For your first question, that depends heavily on the situation. That being said, what classes and skills a kid gets are just as important as what max stat mods they get. (growths barely matter given the infinite grinding and stat-up items in this game.) With regard to your second question, you might as well just grind the kid to max their stats. It takes much less time then grinding the parents. The exception is grinding a parent so that they can get a gender-exclusive skill (such as galeforce) for their kids to inherit. I recommend that you look at the main part of the site for details. Theorize, experiment, and read other threads on the awakening board to see the results of other people's theorizing and experimenting.

Edited by sirmola

For your first question, that depends heavily on the situation. That being said, what classes and skills a kid gets are just as important as what max stat mods they get. (growths barely matter given the infinite grinding and stat-up items in this game.) With regard to your second question, you might as well just grind the kid to max their stats. It takes much less time then grinding the parents. The exception is grinding a parent so that they can get a gender-exclusive skill (such as galeforce) for their kids to inherit. I recommend that you look at the main part of the site for details. Theorize, experiment, and read other threads on the awakening board to see the results of other people's theorizing and experimenting.

So I have to focus mainly on what skill, and class in this case, kids will inherit from their parents?

Children inherit maximum stat modifiers from their parents. Maximum stat modifiers change the maximum allowable values for given stats, applying equally across all classes. You see, each individual class has its own maximum value that is allowed for a stat. If you reach that maximum, the number displaying that stat for that character turns green and you won't get further level ups in that stat within that class. If you would have had a higher value in that stat than what is allowed (from class changing in from another class), the stat will be temporarily truncated as long as you're in that new class.

Example:

A Sage has a maximum magic stat of 46 by default. But if you have a +4 magic modifier, your maximum magic as a Sage is 50 instead. A Grandmaster has a maximum magic stat of 40 by default. That same +4 magic modifier would make your maximum as a Grandmaster become 44 instead.

Modifiers can be positive (increase maximum values) or negative (decrease maximum values).

Kids of the 2nd generation have maximum stat modifiers that are the sum of their parents modifiers plus one.

Below is a list of modifiers.

http://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/maximum-stats/complete/

Example: Sumia (+3 speed modifier) marries Chrom (+1 speed modifier). Their children get a speed modifier of +5 because 5 = 3+1+1.

If you have a first generation unit marry a second generation unit (this can only be the Avatar marrying one of the children) then the extra +1 bonus isn't given again as its already been given once into the mods of the Avatar's spouse.

As for classes: Kids normally inherit the classes of both parents, although some exceptions apply and they cannot get gender exclusive classes from the opposite gender; those will get replaced with others.

Children inherit maximum stat modifiers from their parents. Maximum stat modifiers change the maximum allowable values for given stats, applying equally across all classes. You see, each individual class has its own maximum value that is allowed for a stat. If you reach that maximum, the number displaying that stat for that character turns green and you won't get further level ups in that stat within that class. If you would have had a higher value in that stat than what is allowed (from class changing in from another class), the stat will be temporarily truncated as long as you're in that new class.

Example:

A Sage has a maximum magic stat of 46 by default. But if you have a +4 magic modifier, your maximum magic as a Sage is 50 instead. A Grandmaster has a maximum magic stat of 40 by default. That same +4 magic modifier would make your maximum as a Grandmaster become 44 instead.

Modifiers can be positive (increase maximum values) or negative (decrease maximum values).

Kids of the 2nd generation have maximum stat modifiers that are the sum of their parents modifiers plus one.

Below is a list of modifiers.

http://serenesforest.net/awakening/characters/maximum-stats/complete/

Example: Sumia (+3 speed modifier) marries Chrom (+1 speed modifier). Their children get a speed modifier of +5 because 5 = 3+1+1.

If you have a first generation unit marry a second generation unit (this can only be the Avatar marrying one of the children) then the extra +1 bonus isn't given again as its already been given once into the mods of the Avatar's spouse.

As for classes: Kids normally inherit the classes of both parents, although some exceptions apply and they cannot get gender exclusive classes from the opposite gender; those will get replaced with others.

Could you make an optimal parry example, so I can undeerstand well this stuff, please?

I don't have time to list full optimal pairings and reasoning right now (and they're still somewhat up for debate anyways, so this would be an opinionated judgment), but here are some:

Chrom x Sumia

Tharja x Gaius or Donnel

Sully x Donnel or Gaius

Avatar x Second Generation OR certain powerful first gen units (Cordelia, Sumia, etc.)

Lissa x Ricken is often a good one… .

I'll leave this to others to finish…

Oh, and two more things:

1. You might find more people responding to questions of optimal pairings on the "Pairing Thread".

2. On these forums we're typically discouraged from double posting…. just letting you know as you might be new and might not yet remember that guideline….

Sorry for my doble posting.

What I mean to say is: An example of optimal pairing, commentating why you pair up this two units and what you based of. So, for example, I pair up this two units because their modifiers cover each other weaknesses; or because I want to max out these \ those stats...

Chrom x Sumia

Chrom and Sumia both have highly limited marriage choices but can marry each other. Sumia has Pegasus Knight, which will pass down to Lucina, granting her the ability to learn Galeforce, a valuable skill for late game/postgame/DLC maps. It has nice skill (+4) and speed (+5) and doesn't penalize either offense in terms of mods (+0 Str, +1 Mag). Lucina can function as a physical unit, a magical unit, or a hybrid unit quite fine this way. If she wants magic, Sumia also gives her Sage access. Cynthia gets a very similar class set (except she doesn't get Lord/Great Lord) but still inherits Aether from Chrom.

Galeforce + Lancefaire/Tomefaire + Luna + Aether is pretty nice.

Gaius x Tharja/Sully or Donnel x Tharja/Sully

Gaius and Donnel have male exclusive classes that happen to become Pegasus Knight when passed down to a daughter. Tharja, Sully, and Nowi have daughters who cannot get Pegasus Knight except through such fathers (or the Avatar) passing down a Pegasus Knight class converted over from a male exclusive that the father had. This gives the kid Galeforce. Donnel has undesirable stat mods, but Galeforce access is still quite valuable. Normally Nowi is ignored because neither Gaius!Nah nor Donnel!Nah can assemble a complete Galeforce + Luna or Vengeance + weapon-faire combination, so Gaius and Donnel are often given to some combination of Sully and Tharja instead.