Codename NX Manufacturing Will Begin in October, Report Claims

Soapbar

Yes I did rip that Title straight from this article, shut up

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-nx-manufacturing-to-begin-in-october-repo/1100-6428596/?ftag=YHRe6a6b70

tl;dr A Taiwan based magazine has claimed that it has an inside source (that's unverifiable so this is a rumor currently) that told them that Nintendo has inked a deal with Foxconn Electronics and wants to begin pilot assembly in October at the latest. Digitimes (the Taiwanese magazine) also claims that it will come out in July 2016 and that Nintendo is cutting down on Wii U production.

I hope this isn't true.

I don't blame them in a sense, if this is what they're doing. The Wii U has been met with endless hard luck from the start (though Nintendo takes a solid chunk of the blame for it all), so they might be yearning to wipe the slate clean and start over with a totally different system.

The thing about Nintendo is their eagerness to innovate with console designs is both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, that sense of creativity is what's driven them from the start with the Game and Watch handhelds and Famicom/NES on up to today; on the other, they have a propensity for putting out consoles that come off as gimmicky or childish. The exact same thing might happen again with the NX, as I've read reports that sources claim Nintendo's planning for it be a handheld/console hybrid in some way. That sounds like exactly the sort of idea that could unexpectedly soar (Wii motion controls) or embarrassingly plummet (Wii U gamepad).

...Or, you know, the reports are all hogwash and the NX is still a mystery. :I

Edited by TheCosmicDude

If Nintendo drops the Wii U, they'll bomb hard like Sega. Rule #1 for customer trust - support your console.

Rule #2, have customers. I love my Wii U, but as a business decision it would be better to move on. We'll still likely be getting Zelda U as a send off for the Wii U, though I think it'll probably end up in the same scenario as Twilight Princess.

This may seem blatantly obvious, but Nintendo's success if they really are releasing the NX next July will depend on how well it sells. Nintendo didn't die when they gave up on the Virtual Boy (although, admittedly, the Virtual Boy was universally regarded as garbage and, in my personal uncommon opinion, the Wii U is Nintendo's second-best console after the SNES) because the N64 sold well (not well enough to beat the PlayStation, but well enough to make Nintendo a decent sum of money).

The Wii U's main failure was that it neither unique and gimmicky (or advertised) enough to bring back the casual gamers who bought Wiis nor had good enough specs to draw the hardcore crowd (and 3rd party companies) away from the PS4 and Xbone. The NX needs to avoid the Golden Mean Fallacy and go to one extreme or the other if Nintendo wants sales (I know most people online are saying "hardcore or nothing", but the Wii is why Nintendo has enough of a financial cushion to take a hit like they did with the Wii U. As long as there's still a decent number of good games, I'd be entirely fine if Nintendo wants to go the casual route again. Admittedly, I've grown kinda spiteful towards the "GRRR!!! FILTHY CASUALS R RUINEEN VIDYA GAEMS!!!111" crowd lately, though).

Edited by ClevelandSteve

If this is indeed true, I fear that Nintendo are doing it too soon. The PS4 and XBOne have just been out for 2 years and depending on how long this generation last, Nintendo could come out with a console that's again lagging against the competition next consoles. Also, even if this generation last long enough, Nintendo's going to come out with a 2 years disadvantage versus two consoles that already sold pretty well. They'd need to have something really revolutionary and attention grabbing to even sell console.

They'll also need to deal with the fallout of the 10M people that spent more or less 300$ for a console that lasted 3 years. I have a Wii U and I know that if they come out with the NX too soon, I will wait to see how it fares before even thinking of buying one.

I'm kind of wondering if this will be a premature "ninth generation," or just Nintendo trying to redo their "eighth generation" entry, with the Wii U being...not so successful.

Hoping this will be backwards compatible with the Wii U, but then again that might require bringing back that stupid game pad.

The Wii U's main failure was that it neither unique and gimmicky (or advertised) enough to bring back the casual gamers who bought Wiis nor had good enough specs to draw the hardcore crowd (and 3rd party companies) away from the PS4 and Xbone. The NX needs to avoid the Golden Mean Fallacy and go to one extreme or the other if Nintendo wants sales (I know most people online are saying "hardcore or nothing", but the Wii is why Nintendo has enough of a financial cushion to take a hit like they did with the Wii U. As long as there's still a decent number of good games, I'd be entirely fine if Nintendo wants to go the casual route again. Admittedly, I've grown kinda spiteful towards the "GRRR!!! FILTHY CASUALS R RUINEEN VIDYA GAEMS!!!111" crowd lately, though).

The thing is, 90% of the people who own a Wii have no reason to get a Wii U. For example, my grandmother has a Wii for Wii Fit and Wii Sports.

Those who actually played games besides those on it have migrated to smartphones; why pay more for everything when you're already satisfied with what you have?

Casual gamers want everything they do on as few devices as possible, so I think Nintendo's smartphone strategy will be the only way to appeal to them now. The NX should focus on the traditional gamer and the hardcore, and maybe smartphone games will attract casuals into getting the NX.

Casual gamers want everything they do on as few devices as possible, so I think Nintendo's smartphone strategy will be the only way to appeal to them now. The NX should focus on the traditional gamer and the hardcore, and maybe smartphone games will attract casuals into getting the NX.

This is basically my thought process on it. Nintendo's move into the smartphone market should probably focus on attracting casual gamers (i.e.; ideally stuff like Wii Fit and casual spinoffs, like Pokemon puzzle games and such, will move to smartphones), while the NX is centered on hosting dedicated, more polished core games. Which is not to say that all "lighter" material ought to go to smartphones; mainly just less "traditional" games that are more like lifestyle apps or made for bite-sized sessions.

Edited by TheCosmicDude

This is basically my thought process on it. Nintendo's move into the smartphone market should probably focus on attracting casual gamers (i.e.; ideally stuff like Wii Fit and casual spinoffs, like Pokemon puzzle games and such, will move to smartphones), while the NX is centered on hosting dedicated, more polished core games. Which is not to say that all "lighter" material ought to go to smartphones; mainly just less "traditional" games that are more like lifestyle apps or made for bite-sized sessions.

I hope this is how they're approaching it. NX can be a more core gaming console, and maybe it will actually have better hardware specs and actual third party support.

Also curious about the "innovative" aspect of the console. While the Wii's motion play was creative and setting a trend, the Wii U's gamepad clumsily tried to combine that with following the tablet trend.

This is pretty interesting, it sounds almost too good to be true (new Metroid and F-Zero, what?). Nevertheless, there's nothing there that makes it sound obviously fake, but nothing there that strikes me as really believable. It makes sense at the very least, given all the information we've received so far.

The 3DS has been a pretty big success for Nintendo sales-wise (over 50 million units so far), so I doubt that it's going to be dumped so quickly. Although, in all fairness, I'm not sure how the money it's made compares to the money that's been spent on production of all the different iterations (original, XL, 2DS, N3DS...).

Nothing about the Reddit post sounds too out-of-this-world, but that's almost what makes it difficult to trust for me. I always expect Nintendo to surprise me somehow, even if it's just by disappointing me.