How would you feel if all video games consoles were digital only?

IceBrand

I'd be fine, save materials, cases, discs, logistics, transportation costs, guarantee game availability, etc. I see a lot of benefits in that aspect, but people cling to the epicness of having the cartridge in physical form, collecting, having a huge inventory of games in shelves, etc. It'd be just a matter of change in habits and culture. But for me it's totally fine.

Asides I would appreciate if Nintendo actually establishes 'local or national' e-shops where I can buy and download games with national currency (COP) rather than dollars. Or just have both options.

I would start a company releasing physical games, advertising that you can easily borrow, lend, trade, and sell them, and they don't take up space on your hard drive. It would take the world by storm.

It'd be hell for collectors, but I guess I wouldn't mind as long as I'm able to pay for them. It'd be nice to not have to worry about hunting down a physical copy of a low quantity game.

The one problem with digital copies, is... well, download time. Well that and taking up disk space. Otherwise the only "disadvantages" are sentimental, and thus, as I see it, negligible.

There's a few other problems though, and digital marketplaces need to be streamlined first before that can really be the main way to do things.

I would not mind the change of it all I am already partially fully digital. However I would miss getting physical copies of games I mean how else can I show off to friends, family etc. when I import a game from Japan and show them? Lol plus I will miss having the manuals to look at or box art to go and stare at while I am doing nothing.

But other than that digital all the way as issues you would have with physical copies of games become non existent such as the game getting scratched up or your cartridge stops working.. A good example is my Copy of Fire Emblem:Seisen no Keifu I think my battery is fried as it won`t keep save files anymore if I save the game and turn it back on they are gone. With digital copies of games you don`t have any of the issues none and let`s all be honest we have all wanted our favorite games to last forever but... Everything stops working at some point like my copy of FE4 did so yeah I would not mind as I want my favorites to remain with me forever.

I still hold on to the dead cartridge though heh the box is awesome and it came with a map of Judgdral.

I love physical copies, but overall I'd be fine. At the very least it would help me decide whether or not to get a digital or physical copy. I can't decide at times because typically it's accessibility over price. Digital copies are easier to buy, but I prefer physical copies, yet at times physical copies are hard to come by or just expensive. It'd also stop specific games from being literally impossible to find because they'd be everywhere on the digital market.

But ALSO at the same time people without internet wouldn't be able to play games. Honestly, I'm not sure this is a situation that would ever happen, but I'd deal with it decently.

Digital copy games sound convenient at first because you have all of your games collectively on one console, but considering how crappy my internet is, by the time the game finishes downloading, my mood to play the game goes down the drain.

When I want to play a game, I want to play it NOW.

And I think it's more fun to see all of the games that you have on your shelf.

It wouldn't change anything, to me. Since I prefer my PC to consoles due to prices (consoles are almost as expensive as good PCs where I live), and PC games are cheaper than console games where I live, I mostly play games that I buy on Steam anyway, and I have to download them anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

Then there'd be no E3 or Gamescom. The truth behind those expos and events is that they exist mostly to please the retailers so that more copies come off the shelves. That's why you don't see indie games and download only games featured as deeply as AAA titles.

Digital copies will always be more convenient, though. (Relative on download speed and disk space, but still.)

Edited by Rxmonste