What is "grinding"?

KainReaver

On the note of grinding, what is in general the fastest way to level up from base to maxed out?

Normally I just exponential growth and/or CoY 3 until strong enough (ideally with sol) to camp the fort on LB3 with Chrom. Then just play that map until I have everything I want. Is there a better way? (mainly for the middle levels before you are strong enough for LB3)

• 2 weeks later...

I've always thought that grinding applied to exp and it was called farming if it was resources

Technically, the difference between grinding and farming is in the source of the extra stuff you're getting- farming involves making the most of what you're normally given, typically with hanging around an area far longer than you need to (in Awakening, waiting out extra reinforcements when you could end the map before they arrive), while grinding typically involves going off the beaten path instead of going really slowly (eg playing extra maps). There's also a fine line between farming and abuse, based on whether or not you're likely intended to be able to hang around said area to get more stuff (eg breaking a Counter dude's weapon while he's on a fort and then whacking him over and over with Falchion for an effectively infinite source of damage to heal).

That's just semantics, though.

On the note of grinding, what is in general the fastest way to level up from base to maxed out?

Normally I just exponential growth and/or CoY 3 until strong enough (ideally with sol) to camp the fort on LB3 with Chrom. Then just play that map until I have everything I want. Is there a better way? (mainly for the middle levels before you are strong enough for LB3)

That's pretty much the best, yeah. For Logbook Avatars it usually takes (on Normal) a solo up to Cht.4, one CoY3, one LB2, two LB3s and one RaR3 to get from base to capped stats with LB and a full skillset (also earning their own copies of all skill manuals, assuming you already have enough for them to learn them at base and then pay them back as they go).

That's just semantics, though.

A- still interesting! I think following this logic we could say that 'farming' is harvesting in an efficient and stable manner, while 'grinding' is just playing the game naturally with the intent of gathering resources