Issue with monitor?? Graphics card?? I don't know.

Xenomic

So recently, as of last week, I've been having a weird issue with my monitor, or I'm assuming it's the monitor. Whenever I boot up my computer now, and turn on the monitor, the power button on the monitor will flicker on and off, and the screen will also flicker between on and off until it boots up the Desktop where it is fine. However, today when I booted up and turned on the monitor, it continued to flicker on and off even up to the desktop. Turning off the monitor and turning it back on stopped this, but then the desktop would not load. Rebooting the computer fixed this issue.

I am wondering if the monitor is going bad, as it does the flicker on/off even if the computer itself is not powered on. It is 8 years old, so I'd assume it's going bad at this point. I do not know.

So recently, as of last week, I've been having a weird issue with my monitor, or I'm assuming it's the monitor. Whenever I boot up my computer now, and turn on the monitor, the power button on the monitor will flicker on and off, and the screen will also flicker between on and off until it boots up the Desktop where it is fine. However, today when I booted up and turned on the monitor, it continued to flicker on and off even up to the desktop. Turning off the monitor and turning it back on stopped this, but then the desktop would not load. Rebooting the computer fixed this issue.

I am wondering if the monitor is going bad, as it does the flicker on/off even if the computer itself is not powered on. It is 8 years old, so I'd assume it's going bad at this point. I do not know.

The thing about PC problems and issues is that they are exactly like human sicknesses. Your head is hurting, but you don't know the real reason behind why it does, you start wondering if it is that you probably got flue, or it does because you didn't slept well or long enough, and many others. When that happens humans usually go to doctors to see the real reason behind the pain and to get the right treatment for the pain to go away.

What I'm saying is that you should check both your monitor and graphics card. Somethings you should do:

-Use another monitor instead of yours

-Change the graphics card and put another instead, or put your graphics card in another PC to see if the issue happens in that PC with your graphics card

-Connect your monitor to your integrated graphics and see if your monitor/PC acts the same

Of course you can do the last two only if you use dedicated graphics card and not the integrated graphics.

No it won't. Try to use another monitor instead of the one you are using right now.

Other things you can do before switching monitor/graphics:

-Make sure your all of your connections are properly connected

-One of my friend had a problem like you with his monitor and he plugged the power cord into a different outlet running off a different circuit in his home and that worked for him

-Try to change the cords of your monitor if you have spare ones around

-And also, try lowering the refresh rate of your monitor to 70-75 and setting the resolution as high as it can go, then restart the computer

Sadly, I don't have another monitor to really try this with so that's a problem. >_< I know the connections should be fine as I never touch the wires for them, but it could be the power cord. It's plugged into a breaker so maybe a spot in the breaker is going bad (despite that the breaker isn't THAT old. Maybe a year or 2 old?).