Ares the Free Knight

quasimopho13

Merry Christmas Eve all!

Anyone think that The Free Knight/Forrest Knight class would make more sense for Ares than the Cavalier/Paladin?

1) The Free Knight class is more of a mercenary class (ie Beowulf and the mercenary bosses in fe4), whereas a Cavalier seems to be more common among nobility/country armies. Ares spent a good chunk of his life being raised as a Mercenary, so I think the mercenary class makes sense on him. Also, his original leader/adoptive father was a Free Knight. It's likely that this is when Ares learned to fight because he was getting to the appropriate age

2) The Free Knight has less armor and can have blonde hair. So asthetically, the class looks closer to Ares.

3) the high skill cap of the Forrest Knight compliments the Mystletainn. Though, admittedly, Ares' low skill growth would hamper this

4) I guess the developers wanted to ensure you'd have one cavalier, but they could've given that role to Delmud maybe

Edited by quasimopho13

4) I guess the developers wanted to ensure you'd have one cavalier, but they could've given that role to Delmud maybe

So that he could have inherited something from Finn.

Anyway, he grow up as a mercenary, but I guess the paladin fits him well given his actual parents: Eldigan and Grahnye. Or Iria. Or Raquesis.

You know what? Probably Eldigan can reproduce by mitosis, Ares is a clone, that's why they share class.

Dammit, every time I see a post about Genealogy, I think about how badly I want a remake. Maybe FE4A is possible with FEXNA?

So that he could have inherited something from Finn.

Anyway, he grow up as a mercenary, but I guess the paladin fits him well given his actual parents: Eldigan and Grahnye. Or Iria. Or Raquesis.

You know what? Probably Eldigan can reproduce by mitosis, Ares is a clone, that's why they share class.

Dammit, every time I see a post about Genealogy, I think about how badly I want a remake. Maybe FE4A is possible with FEXNA?

Cavalier!Delmud would've been nice, yeah.

But I think the cav-->pally class route really does suit Ares. Whatever his upbringing, being Eldigan's son and the heir to the original Black Knight's powers sets him up well to be a particularly menacing specimen of paladin. (Also, obligatory Camus call-back. Sable Knight, Black Knight.)

It could make sense either way. The skill cap wouldn't matter because caps are always class base+15 although I don't think it'd make a huge difference. I've always found it funny Aless has access to lances but zero actual use for them.

He might be better in terms of gameplay. 6 more skill and 3 more speed for 2 less res and 1 less str and def seems like a fair trade. If nothing else, you could in theory have the novelty of a 100 crit unit. As a paladin, he maxes out at 99, and to my knowledge, that's the highest possible in the game, barring lover/sibling bonuses.

In terms of story, as people have said, I can see either way. Maybe there's some thing about Mysteltainn only allowing itself to be used by cavs/paladins? There've been crazier things in FE.

Edited by bottlegnomes