Cosmic horror

sirmola

I finished reading almost everything by HP lovecraft, and thought it was really good (except the racisim). Then I tried to read some of the stories that august derlith wrote in the same setting and thought that they were pretty bad (he recycles the plot twist from lovecraft's "the shadow over insmouth" THREE times in three diferent stories.) Can anyone recomend any other horror for that lovecraft like feel that doesn't directly rip off from him? GEneraly, i am looking for intelectual horror, as supposed, to simply visceral horror.

Edited by sirmola

Heh, I have the Complete Fiction for Lovecraft.

For other pieces of horror that are kind of like Lovecraft, I recommend reading anything by Edgar Allen Poe. I'd say read specifically: The Pit and the Pendulum, The Tell-Tale Heart, and The Fall of the House of Usher.

I don't think it's particularly like Lovecraft, and his style is pretty unique, but I would recommend taking a look at The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. It's probably one of my favorite pieces of poetry.

Edited by Knight of Argentum

Heh, I have the Complete Fiction for Lovecraft.

For other pieces of horror that are kind of like Lovecraft, I recommend reading anything by Edgar Allen Poe. I'd say read specifically: The Pit and the Pendulum, The Tell-Tale Heart, and The Fall of the House of Usher.

I don't think it's particularly like Lovecraft, and his style is pretty unique, but I would recommend taking a look at The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. It's probably one of my favorite pieces of poetry.

Already read poe, but will check the poem you mentioned.

I am happy to try other styles, as long as the horror is existential/intelectual in nature, and not just zombies or axe murderers or whatever.

I like horror in general, though I think I have to say... yeah, cosmic horror tends to be my favorite. HP Lovecraft is okay, it's just... kind of bland to read. His concepts? Amazing. His actual writing? ... kinda dry.

Edgar Adam Poe, obviously. He gave birth to Conan, HP and Stephen King after all.

Like i said in my prvious coment, i already read all of his stuff.

I ended up going to an indie bookstore near my house and getting some recommendations (said store actualy has an old walk-in vault where they keep the horror books for effect. It's pretty awesome.) I'll see how those go.

Like i said in my prvious coment, i already read all of his stuff.

I ended up going to an indie bookstore near my house and getting some recommendations (said store actualy has an old walk-in vault where they keep the horror books for effect. It's pretty awesome.) I'll see how those go.

Has anyone recommend you Nathaniel Hawthorne? Someone told me to try his work but I havent.