Would you like to see a repeat of the Battle of Balhalla?

Jotari

Technically, only like half of Genealogy's characters canonically died in Belhalla anyway.

All the women except Ayra IIRC were confirmed to have lived. The men died, and Levin ended up "surving"

So Levin and Ayra are pretty much the deviants from their genders. Of course there's the obligatory "Finn lived" thing.

Technically, only like half of Genealogy's characters canonically died in Belhalla anyway.

All the women except Ayra IIRC were confirmed to have lived. The men died, and Levin ended up "surving"

So Levin and Ayra are pretty much the deviants from their genders. Of course there's the obligatory "Finn lived" thing.

To be even more technical we don't have any confirmation that anyone aside from Sigurd and Levin (who was revived) died in the battle. Everyone else is listed as having their fate unknown (which is a great open ended way to kill everyone off yet still deciding later to use them in some other capacity as they did with Briggid).

To be even more technical we don't have any confirmation that anyone aside from Sigurd and Levin (who was revived) died in the battle. Everyone else is listed as having their fate unknown (which is a great open ended way to kill everyone off yet still deciding later to use them in some other capacity as they did with Briggid).

Briggid's use was excellent. I think that Thracia's narrative took all of the little possibilities from Genealogy, expounded upon them, and had an excellent story.

If I was good enough at FE to get past 4x or any of Manster, really, it'd probably be in my top 3 FEs.

Though the Battle of Balhalla was brilliant plot-wise, I don't think the exact concept should be done again. If they change enough to make it unique, then sure.

Edited by DragonLord

I don't think everyone needs to be killed off or anything, a timeskip would be fine. Though the battle of Belhalla was certainly interesting and unexpected. I wonder if the new FE team at IS was warming up to [spoiler=Fates Spoilers]killing off player characters with Fates? They killed Izana and Crimson on the 3rd route, and also Kaze on birthright, but he can be saved. [spoiler=bigger fates spoilers, conquest and birthright route ending spoilers]Ryoma and Takumi die in Conquest and Xander and Elise on Birthright, but they're never player units on those routes...

Edited by L95

I'm probably the only one

it blows, no thanks

The thing I like the most about it is that it indirectly gives FE5 a reason to exist

Edited by Gradivus.

No, it wouldn't be as good.

But better that than time travel or time chambers.

Not seeing your point.

Time chambers were indeed weird, but time travel was done excellently.

The children's future was desolate, so it gave their personalities an amazing opportunity to grow. I've seen time travel so much that it could not ever bother me.

FE4's children seemed like complete cardboard compared to their parents. Everyone remembers Titlyu, Sigurd, Lex, and Ayra, but the children were relatively boring. Except for the ones in Thracia of course, because Thracia had good writing.

I don't want to see Belhalla happen again and to lose all my parents, because that's terrible, but I do want an Avatar, marriage, and children in the next game. There's a reason FE13 and 14 are my favorites (but also because <3 Kozaki)

Not seeing your point.

Time chambers were indeed weird, but time travel was done excellently.

The children's future was desolate, so it gave their personalities an amazing opportunity to grow. I've seen time travel so much that it could not ever bother me.

FE4's children seemed like complete cardboard compared to their parents. Everyone remembers Titlyu, Sigurd, Lex, and Ayra, but the children were relatively boring. Except for the ones in Thracia of course, because Thracia had good writing.

I don't want to see Belhalla happen again and to lose all my parents, because that's terrible, but I do want an Avatar, marriage, and children in the next game. There's a reason FE13 and 14 are my favorites (but also because <3 Kozaki)

I disagree completely. Time travel was done horribly. Awakening's children had potential but it all wasted by their awful personalities and much of it has very little to do with their doomed past. It crops up sometimes in supports and during their recruitment (which only brings up more issues since aside from Laurent who tried but failed, Lucina who tried but failed a little less and Gerome who didn't try at all, the rest of them did nothing for 2 years or more considering Laurent's predicament and seemed very unconcerned about pretty much anything) but it is a wasted.

Maybe you find the FE4 kids boring. I don't. I think the're vastly superior to FE13's children because we get to see their hardships unfold and know that there is no convenient time travel to fix everything.

I don't want Belhalla again because I don't beleive they can do it properly (even the original had issues which were left unanswered) but not because losing the first generation is 'just terrible' as you put it. I think that's an awful reason to not want something to happen.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Yeah, I don't play a game to lose my entire cast of characters half way through. Sorry, but no.

FE4's kids were complete cardboard compared to the adults in that same game. Why should I care about Lana or Lester when Aideen was so much better? Is Arthur even anywhere close to Tiltyu or even Teeny? Leif, Ced, Altena, Delmud, and Nanna succeeded. Thracia did wonders for a ton of characters.

I'm not sure if it could work with a Western audience. Some people already hate losing all of their Gen 1 units in FE4; however, the shock would not pass unnoticed and some people might even like it more because of it, especially after Fire Emblem "Nobody Dies" Awakening :P (don't hurt me people!).

I'm not sure if it could work with a Western audience. Some people already hate losing all of their Gen 1 units in FE4; however, the shock would not pass unnoticed and some people might even like it more because of it, especially after Fire Emblem "Nobody Dies" Awakening :P (don't hurt me people!).

Actually, I believe you can die in Awakening, you just have to be killed twice

I was meh towards it in FE4. On one hand, I hated that I lost everything I had built up so far, on the other hand, I didn't care for the characters themselves enough to be affected plotwise by the battle. The children somehow felt blander than FE4's first gen, which I honestly consider a GIGANTIC accomplishment considering how much I disliked the first gen. In short, if they do it again, do it with characters I can actually care about like FE7 and 13's.

Yeah, I don't play a game to lose my entire cast of characters half way through. Sorry, but no.

FE4's kids were complete cardboard compared to the adults in that same game. Why should I care about Lana or Lester when Aideen was so much better? Is Arthur even anywhere close to Tiltyu or even Teeny? Leif, Ced, Altena, Delmud, and Nanna succeeded. Thracia did wonders for a ton of characters.

In order for a second generation to be done meaningfully and sensibly- from a story and a gameplay standpoint- there needs to be some shift in focus away from the first generation and onto the second one. Granted, there are ways to do this without killing everyone, but if you don't do anything, you end up with a game like Awakening where all but one of the children are completely irrelevant to the plot and the multiple generations mechanics amount to nothing more than a particularly novel way to recruit new characters, as opposed to in FE4 where it's a lot more important since the characters you create are going to be your team from Chapter 6 onward. Feel how you do about the specific characters in question, but there's no doubt that FE4 did multiple generations way better than Awakening did, from a plot standpoint and in terms of gameplay importance.

I get that maybe you just don't like stories that are too murder-happy with their casts, but sometimes there isn't a good way to have a massive shift in focus like that without doing something to necessitate it, and an easy way to do that is to make it so that the majority of the old cast is a bit too dead to be the main characters anymore. I'm not saying that FE4 was perfect in that regard, but it sure did a better job than Awakening at making the second generation an important part of the plot and gameplay.

Edited by Topaz Light

Also, as far as the "losing all your characters" thing goes... Do you mind that barely any FE7 characters are playable in FE6? Sure, the implication that they're dead is only there for a few of them, but mechanically it's more or less the same as FE4's generation split sans any sort of inheritance mechanic. A new main character, a new start, right? The only real difference is that FE4 does its switch to a new main character mid-game. I get that maybe you just don't like stories that are too murder-happy with their casts, but sometimes there isn't a good way to have a massive shift in focus like that without doing something to necessitate it, and an easy way to do that is to make it so that the majority of the old cast is a bit too dead to be the main characters anymore. I'm not saying that FE4 was perfect in that regard, but it sure did a better job than Awakening at making the second generation an important part of the plot and gameplay.

Eh? FE7 isn't comparable at all. Not only is it a separate game but it was created after Binding Blade so there was no mindset of "make the player lose most of their team".

Eh? FE7 isn't comparable at all. Not only is it a separate game but it was created after Binding Blade so there was no mindset of "make the player lose most of their team".

True enough, I suppose. I guess I was just looking for something to compare it to, because the basic theme of "continuation of the same story but with little to none of your original party members" has been done before, and that was the closest example I could think it.

I admit it wasn't really a good one.