Question about pairings in general. (Has to do with Fates)

Radiance

Ok so ever since I played the FE series, I always loved supports. You could always find out so many things and back story for characters that weren't important story wise. With the 2nd gen in awakening, I always paired units that I liked to put together even if it's not the best and didn't care whether 2nd gen stats weren't as high as they could be. Now in this new game that I can't wait to come out, however leads me to discussions on the pairings in Fates. For example, I paired owain and Severa in awakening because I personally liked it and would like it in fates, but people have been saying that Elise is better for the sake of Opehlia. Is it really that much of a good difference and reason to do that pairing for just a bit higher magic rather than getting a speed and Def buff with Luna? I don't like being force to do pairings just because their better, which makes me lead that whether people do pairings just to have an upper edge. I don't mind if people do that because it's your money spent on a game and you can play however you want, but will this really give me a disadvantage for the game and online? I haven't played the game so I might not know much, but I know enough from discussions on the serenes. Long story short, my question out of this topic "Do certain pairings seem to be enforced to make you have better stat bonus, 2nd gen, and greater success" For me it's no because I like pairing what I like. 2nd gen is just personal parents like Lazward x Azura which I'll do to create a nice dancing family (Lazward x Azura support awesome!) I'm not saying that doing these optimal pairings are bad and if you like them that's great. This thought has been killing me and I had to share it or else my mind won't shut up about it. Feel free to share your thoughts in a constructive and nice manner. We're all friends here, not enemies. Hope to play with you all in the upcoming Fire Emblem.

Edited by Radiance

Definitely not. I never felt penalised by my pairings regardless if they were "optimal" or not, and the game certainly doesn't "enforce" any.

Unlike Awakening, to have success in this game is not necessarily equated with raising child units. I didn't recruit a good many in both Nohr and IK and never felt as if I was missing out on any vital part of my team gameplay-wise.

There are plenty of people who will pick pairings based on optimal stats, but you seem to care more about the narrative implications of the pairings rather than their statistic merit, which is also equally valid.

I'm always an advocate for pairing who you want to pair up based on supports. So I say go for it! You won't notice a difference if you're playing on anything other than Lunatic Nohr and aren't set on using like a full team of minmaxed children.

Never feel like you're losing out because you're playing the game the way you want to.

Okay so Luna Selena!Ophelia modifers are : 0/2/1/2/2/20 so they arent bad, you don't have shitload of mag what Elise would gave, but still it's viable.
However i'd like reccomend to you to pair units not only for childrens, you don't have to use all od them, and even if you pair parrent like Sakura/Marx or Elise/Ryoma you still can use thier kids properly. For me it's giving them more choice because you're doing from mainly psychical child, child which can use both psychical and magical attack with better effect.
Also you need to think if you want to have killing machines as a childs with sick modifers on thier main stats.

I would just go with flow and pair everything how you feel, you also can look at mine [intresting] pairs below.
Also if i'm right like in awakening, you don't need to do sick childs to complete the story, i'm preety sure childs usually will be helpful anyway.

Personally I use the game's many saves to split my pairings, One for full optimized competitive team based on the internet suggestions and calculations while another one is completely based on who I thought would be cute together. Every children and pairing are usable in their own way, it how you bring them out. I'm pretty sure there are many ways to bring even the worst children or pairing up to a decent usable. In other words, don't let it bother you too much. If you want to pair up based on their support then that's great, if you want to pair up based on their stats and that is okay too.

Glad others think the same as me. I love pairing my units and getting every character in the game. Its like a mission and collection, so i like getting 2nd gen. I beat awakening without the kids as well. My pairings will live in Fates :)

I try to find pairing that have good supports and good mods/growths for the children. For example, I'm doing FlannelxSelena. It's a good gameplay pairing (not THE best, but its pretty good) and I like their supports.

I usually do this too, also i'm sometimes choosing support by hair colour (Saizou x Rinkah) rotfl xD

Edited by Eriotto

I try to find pairing that have good supports and good mods/growths for the children. For example, I'm doing FlannelxSelena. It's a good gameplay pairing (not THE best, but its pretty good) and I like their supports.

Me too. Some of the characters I dont' exactly care for I mostly default to mods, but for characters I like I try and get a mix of both. (Xander x Charlotte unf)

Me too. Some of the characters I dont' exactly care for I mostly default to mods, but for characters I like I try and get a mix of both. (Xander x Charlotte unf)

Honestly i don't like Xander x Charlotte, don't judge me ;-; However i usually don't like her supports (lol) But i've heard she's one of the best mothers, if not the best for Sieg so~

Yeah, I'm with you, OP. When playing the game for the first time, I always make couples based on their supports. If they look like they go well together, I pair 'em up. For example, I loved Gaius and Cordelia together because Cordelia would always act like a nagging mother to Gaius to get him to wash himself up. And, like you, I liked Owain and Severa together because of their S support where Severa reveals that she engraved Owain's name on her sword. (I even nicknamed the sword she came with on recruitment to "Owain.")

So yeah. Follow your heart, man. Do what feels right. :)

Edited by Giga Man

Yeah, I'm with you, OP. When playing the game for the first time, I always make couples based on their supports. If they look like they go well together, I pair 'em up. For example, I loved Gaius and Cordelia together because Cordelia would always act like a nagging mother to Gaius to get him to wash himself up. And, like you, I liked Owain and Severa together because of their S support where Severa reveals that she engraved Owain's name on her sword. (I even nicknamed the sword she came with on recruitment to "Owain.")

Ahaha, my first pairing for Cordelia was also Gaius xD

Wow thats crazy i did Gauis and Cordelia as well. I found the S support touching with owain and severa so I will make it live in Fates. Satisfaction at its finest. Odin x Luna heh Edited by Radiance

If you have any interest in character interaction and chemistry at all, which you seem like you do given the op, I'd recommend disregard stats and pair to your heart's content. It's your first run, get a feel of the game with your otps, there's 9 save slots you can always optimize later if that's your thing too

If you have any interest in character interaction and chemistry at all, which you seem like you do given the op, I'd recommend disregard stats and pair to your heart's content. It's your first run, get a feel of the game with your otps, there's 9 save slots you can always optimize later if that's your thing too

9 when you have 3 paths, 3 slots for one path, remember this.

I would say did pairing i want to do and some optimal ones to do pvp, grinding in fates will take much more than Awakening, especially if we're talking about weapons so yeah. :P Don't wanna to loose any secound!

I dont know if i will do other pairings in other files. I will figure out a way to accomplish things with my choices. Lets watch and be amazed. I feel really good for that reason

I personally will be doing my pairings completely by stats because I want to play multiplayer. If that's not a focus for you then you are entirely ok to pair characters by personal preference.

I dont think that will be the case for me. I can play the multiplayer with my pairings. I dont think pairings will make multiplayer the only eay playable. It just takes a plan to strike, feel me? If you think that these pairings will be make playing multiplayer possible, we dont know what to expect. Hope you have fun and wish you the best

I dont think that will be the case for me. I can play the multiplayer with my pairings. I dont think pairings will make multiplayer the only eay playable. It just takes a plan to strike, feel me? If you think that these pairings will be make playing multiplayer possible, we dont know what to expect. Hope you have fun and wish you the best

First thing in pvp you don't need shitload of amazing modifers, however grind them to max. I think even if you'll be doing pairing how you feel you want to do'em, still PVP is able to win, just maxing thier stats will be only one problem you'll have for it, That's my opinion, if you're good in this kind of game, and won't play vs witch tp skill with copycat (preety cheap, but strong way to win) you should be fine.

First thing in pvp you don't need shitload of amazing modifers, however grind them to max. I think even if you'll be doing pairing how you feel you want to do'em, still PVP is able to win, just maxing thier stats will be only one problem you'll have for it, That's my opinion, if you're good in this kind of game, and won't play vs witch tp skill with copycat (preety cheap, but strong way to win) you should be fine.

Thats what i was thinking about. Maxing stats isnt easy (Awakening). This will be a great run this year

Thats what i was thinking about. Maxing stats isnt easy (Awakening). This will be a great run this year

Trust me, maxing people will be joy for you, wait for forging weapons to +7 XD