Persona 4 Golden Is Way Too Easy

Radiant head

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but while P3 and P4 seem to have this like conflicting but neat balance between the Shin Megami Tensei dungeon crawling/ combat and the fun fluffy visual novel/fan service and characterization. I think where SMT and Persona fans seem to be at odds with each other because of this sort of thing, I've always liked both aspects of these games. But here it's obvious they just said fuck that, and just pandered to the latter.

Which I guess is fine to some extent, because I enjoy the fan service stuff as someone who got attached to all the characters, but boy I wish they at least made it somewhat difficult. Rise alone trivializes the rest of the game once her social link is done (seriously what were they thinking when they gave her Persona those new abilities), though to be fair this might be my fault for being too biased towards doing hers early on. Gold Hands are everywhere in the dungeon, which means my party gets overleveled.

One thing I like though are the skill cards. Izanagi has such a cool design and is somewhat important story-wise (especially when you fight two certain bosses) so I did always hate that he becomes useless and has to be fused away early on. Especially since I played Pokemon long before discovering SMT. The cards fix this, though getting his stats up is another issue.

I guess there's nothing wrong with the fact that some fans just care about the VN aspect of the game (and I like that part too), but adjustable difficulty levels exist for a reason? I don't think even the highest difficulty changes the stuff mentioned above.

What did people think about this game? And any ideas for a challenge run for next playthrough? I'm thinking ban Direct Commands for party members.

It was like that for me in the original game. Though maybe I had better luck in golden because I stuck to one party (the four sophomores) and killed tons of gold hands.

What difficulty did you play on? I always encountered far more gold hands in Persona 3, although that game has laughably unbalanced bosses to compensate (that's not a good thing; you steamroll half while get your ass handed to you by other bosses, usually in the beginning where you've got limited options for dealing with it).

I just don't see it, but maybe I've played poorly/not killed enough gold hands/just didn't bother to grind, I don't know. I usually also stick to the original Investigation Team. I will agree that Rise does make things a bit too easy on occasion though.

I think one the reason that the game got easier was the buffs the party members got.

Kanji makes Chie pointless in my opinion, as he makes a better tank than her and also makes a better physical attacker as well, unlike in the vanilla version where Chie was the better physical attacker.

Another character that was very good in the vanilla version but not as good in Golden is Yosuke.

Funny thing is, Yosuke wasn't nerfed, but rather other characters now outclass him.

It seems that the only characters that remained good in both vanilla and Golden are Yukiko and Teddie.

In fact I would say these two are even better Golden, especially Yukiko, as her healing was buffed in Golden, due her Social Link giving her a skill that boosts her healing, but I don't remember the name.

And Teddies still remains an execellent support fighter.

Also fusion became much less of a hassle.

I won't deny that Youthful Wind is good, is one the few Ultimate skills worth using alongside Burning Petals.

In fact, Youthwind Wind, Burning Petals

But Youthful Wind is something that would be more useful earlygame, like Cadenza was in Persona 3.

I feel like it's potential is wasted as a lategame skill.