Using formulas

ApathyBeam

Sup guys. I was wondering how many of you actively use formulas when you play, for instance, subtracting DEF/RES from ATK to check damage that might be done when you can't see the battle forecast. Or do you wing it? For the record I like to play riskier and go off of hunches.

Edited by ApathyBeam

Typically I'm always looking at enemy stats and calculating hit, evasion and damage when I'm concerned if it'll be a life or death situation. If I send a knight into a room full of enemies, I'm not often concerned, but if I send a Pegasus Rider, then I start calculating. Of course there's always something I miss, and then I have to reset because Cordelia has an arrow through her eye.

Oh, I don't think I ever use calculators.

I let the computer do it for me, as the the computer always has a 100% accuracy rating when performing these types of calculations (while humans don't).

Besides, these formulas don't take into account skills such as Luna or Pavise.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I tend to use them quite frequently. In fact one of my favorate parts of this series is that it is easy to do this in your head, whereas it is not reasionable to do this in most other series.

Typically I'm always looking at enemy stats and calculating hit, evasion and damage when I'm concerned if it'll be a life or death situation.

Basically this but without calculating evasion since I bank on all enemies attacks hitting and position accordingly.

If it's a situation I'm not sure 100% I'll straight up win, such as "can I reasonably leave Miriel in range of this one axedude and survive a single hit so my other guy doesn't have to take that extra hit", I'll do calcs. Not with a calculator though, because it'd be a shame to my degree if I can't subtract 2 digit integers in my head.

Otherwise, well, I'm gonna win anyway.

Edited by Thor Odinson

It's come in handy for me on a few occasions. I mainly use it if I'm sending one of my weaker units into the fray, or against bosses. Since I don't know the formula for hit chance, I just assume each attack is a hit and go from there.

As for using a calculator, I can do less complicated calculus in my head, so two digit addition and subtraction is nothing.

I never don't do it. Running calcs is how you stay alive. Also this:

Not with a calculator though, because it'd be a shame to my degree if I can't subtract 2 digit integers in my head.

Accuracy is only a concern if you don't do it regularly. Practice makes perfect and, well, if I make a mistake and die for it, that's the same as making a tactical/positioning/input error.