On the future of 3DS DLC

Alastor15243

Something occurred to me the other day when I remembered how eventually the DS and Wii servers were killed, rendering all online play for those systems lost forever. And then I thought about what it would mean if this happens again when the next Nintendo generation comes out.

Unless 3DS emulators eventually become a thing, and they figure out a way to add the DLC to them, that would mean that eventually, we would be left with parts of games (or in the case of Fire Emblem Fates Revelation, an entire game) that simply can't be obtained anymore.

That's a scary thought, particularly for people who want to own complete physical collections of an entire series. I wonder if anybody's already assembling "collector's edition 3DSes" with all the DLC for all the games in a series already downloaded to them to re-sell years down the line at a profit.

Frankly I hope a workaround does get found. Being a responsible adult who knows how to keep track of his stuff I'm not too afraid of losing my 3ds, but I'm picturing new fans of Awakening/Fates who are the same age now that I was when I first played Blazing Sword and who fall in love with the series but eventually lose their stuff (or are guilt tripped by their parents into giving it away GOD DAMN YOU DAD YOU WILL NEVER LIVE THAT DOWN, MY CHILDHOOD WAS ON THAT NINTENDO 64!), only to find that unlike the games I grew up with, the complete experience isn't retrievable anymore. That would just be sad.

Anybody know anything about how this'll go down?

Edited by Alastor15243

The DS and Wii servers weren't hosted by Nintendo and so they ended up getting shut down due to that company.

3DS and Wii U servers are hosted by Nintendo and I'm imagining that they'll keep using the servers down the road (and I don't see why they wouldn't).

Already a workaround.

Homebrew allows you to install any updates and DLC without ever connecting to Nintendo's servers.

Shady depending on your morals or w/e, but an option.

There'll be a point where Nintendo stops patching out exploits just because they'll be supporting their new handheld, so it'll be annoying but doable wayyyyyy down the line.

Edited by PKLucas531

nintendo had a workaround for dsi ware transfer and wii ware transfer previously when upgrading from a DSi to a 3DS and Wii to Wii U which was system transfer... whatever stuff you had before you can transfer the data over to your system.... and the games are still available for you to download after the transfer is done...

so... i can still play my wii ware games and still access the wii shop which is great and i can still buy games off the wii shop

so... they will prolly have something else or they might continue the eshop service for the next console generation... like how sony and microsoft continue their respected services

nintendo had a workaround for dsi ware transfer and wii ware transfer previously when upgrading from a DSi to a 3DS and Wii to Wii U which was system transfer... whatever stuff you had before you can transfer the data over to your system.... and the games are still available for you to download after the transfer is done...

so... i can still play my wii ware games and still access the wii shop which is great and i can still buy games off the wii shop

so... they will prolly have something else or they might continue the eshop service for the next console generation... like how sony and microsoft continue their respected services

Right, then let's just hope Nintendo doesn't go under like some cynics are saying and become a 3rd/2nd party like Sega did.

Even though DS and Wii Wi-Fi was shut down, you can still use the Wii shop channel and DSi shop. Nintendo will always support digital games for their consoles.