Can you judge the political leanings of an area based on what people wear?

kirby9612

this is an interesting question! i'd be willing to bet that more extreme looks (gauge earrings, piercings in nontraditional areas, etc.) are correlated with more liberal leanings. however, i disagree with your pokemon example (do you really think there aren't conservative nerds). i feel that on the other end of the spectrum, there's no correlation.

Pokemon shirts? Never expect them to pop up in a red state.

Really? Because I live in northern GA and I see them quite frequently.

As for your question, I don't know, never thought about it before. However, I do think that it would be quite a stretch to make a blanket assumption based entirely upon the local raiment. There may be a correlation between, for the sake of argument, striped ties and Republican leaning, but are the people wearing those ties because they're conservative or do they just really like striped ties?

Really? Because I live in northern GA and I see them quite frequently.

As for your question, I don't know, never thought about it before. However, I do think that it would be quite a stretch to make a blanket assumption based entirely upon the local raiment. There may be a correlation between, for the sake of argument, striped ties and Republican leaning, but are the people wearing those ties because they're conservative or do they just really like striped ties?

Atlanta area? Athens? Where?

While I don't think there's a piece of clothing that would make someone be idenfitied as a conservative, the combination of the so-called problem glasses plus brightly colored hair tends to identify a radical leftist.

My gut response is, "Not with any reliability." You can hazard some educated guesses, but without real statistical investigation, they'll be no better than "just-so stories"--myths told to explain something you, personally, have seen. Again, as a pure gut feeling, I suspect that even if there were some correlation, it would be very weak, too weak to have useful predictive value.

Now, if all you're asking is if there possibly could be some correlation between clothing preferences and voting preferences? Well sure. There is a potential correlation between any two variables. But we must always remember that correlation doesn't imply causation. Coincidence and confounding variables may also apply. As an example of the first: "No nuclear weapons were used to attack other nations before the advent of women's suffrage"--purely coincidental, since there were no nuclear weapons to be used (nor even the science or materials to develop them) before then either way. And for the second: "Ice cream sales are strongly correlated with shark attacks, therefore eating ice cream must increase your risk of being attacked by sharks!"--both things increase at the same time, not because they have any link to each other, but because they are both linked to a third thing--increased sunlight, which makes people heat up more and thus seek cool foods more, and also leads to greater volumes of people going to beaches where sharks can thus attack them.

A really good statistical study would be extremely difficult to pull off, because it would require something like consenting to a photograph taken immediately after the voter exits the voting booth, which can then be linked to and correlated with the actual votes taken. A LOT of people aren't going to consent to having their picture taken, and even more would object to having it linked with their voting preferences even if all other "personal"/identifying information were scrubbed out. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with people doing that to me (not that you even could, in my state--ALL votes are mail-in here).

While I don't think there's a piece of clothing that would make someone be idenfitied as a conservative, the combination of the so-called problem glasses plus brightly colored hair tends to identify a radical leftist.

The closest thing to a "conservative-identifying" garment/style would probably be flannel shirts and blue jeans. The kinds of stuff you expect a rural farmer to wear. I suppose that very severely "anti-sexual" clothing (that is, the whole "floor-length dresses, women never wear pants" kind of thing) might work as well, since highly circumspect clothing correlates with conservative attitudes on sex, which in turn correlates with conservative attitudes generally (including political ones).

Edited by amiabletemplar

i have proof. I went to inner city Denver and ate at a buffet there. There was one guy with a some sort of Powerpuff girls shirt and another with a Steven Universe shirt (yellow star against red backround) When I went to the ajacent walmart saw one kid with a pokemon shirt. HAve yet to see that happen here in las vegas.

okay?

why does it matter if someone wears a steven universe or powerpuff girls or pokemon shirt

all of those things are good, and lol at judging someone's political views based on if they're wearing a shirt from a series about three superpowered girls fighting crime

that reminds me: I actually need to dye my hair when I'm older and out of high school because unnatural hair colours are banned

I'm male, but I'd still want Camilla purple or Sakura red-pink or something.

Either that or go blond. I'm a brunette now, but blond guys are hot