Opinions on the Localized Names.

SaltyBucket

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flannel --> Keaton sucks. Keaton is the name of a guy I'd beat up in the school parking lot. I don't think it fits him at all, and I'm sad that it seems they ditched the furries named after fabrics motif.

Only so many fabrics can truly work as names and not sound like stripper names.

Now, where just missing Asyura's name for the first gen, right?

Just sent Nick Robinson (Polygon dude) a tweet asking him about Asyura's English name.

Keaton is a type of fabric, right? (someone mentioned it in another thread about flannel's localized name). What I still don't really get is how you can pronounce Kaden so it sounds similar to cotton. It may be that I'm not a native english speaker, so it confuses me a little

Keaton is a type of fabric, right? (someone mentioned it in another thread about flannel's localized name). What I still don't really get is how you can pronounce Kaden so it sounds similar to cotton. It may be that I'm not a native english speaker, so it confuses me a little

Native English speaker here and I can say that I don't know how you can pronounce Kaden to sound like cotton unless it's "kah-den" (cot-en for cotton). That's why I still believe it's a play on brocade.

Edited by KazeNinja17

Maybe you shouldn't pronounce it the english way then

Kaden is still a Hoshidan character, and as much as Kaden is not a Japanese name, it's at least an acceptable Japanese word that can mean a range of things from consumer electronics to a type of classic chinese makeup depending on Kanji. It'd be pronounced Kah-den in this case.

Not that I really buy the cotton ref either, but kah-den is quite a bit closer to cotton than kay-den if you pronounce it like an english name

Edited by Thor Odinson

Maybe you shouldn't pronounce it the english way then

Kaden is still a Hoshidan character, and as much as Kaden is not a Japanese name, it's at least an acceptable Japanese word that can mean a range of things from consumer electronics to a type of classic chinese makeup depending on Kanji. It'd be pronounced Kah-den in this case.

Not that I really buy the cotton ref either, but kah-den is quite a bit closer to cotton than kay-den if you pronounce it like an english name

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up (Kah-den does roll better off my tongue but I wasn't really sure about the pronounciation. I wasn't even aware of the name that much before this)

Edited by soranauta

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up (Kah-den does roll better of my tongue but I wasn't really sure about the pronounciation. I wasn't even aware of the name that much before this)

Cayden (spelled like that) isn't a very common English name and Kaden isn't seen often either, so a lot of people wouldn't be familiar with it.

Edit: Asyura is now Shura: https://twitter.com/Babylonian/status/696882690398629888

Most likely done to avoid confusion between Azura and Asyura/Ashura.

Edited by KazeNinja17

I assume this probably means the class currently called Shura probably won't be named that, then.

Definitely a strong chance of that. I can send out a tweet to Nick Robinson to see if he can confirm or not.

Coming from a different source, but Kinu is now Selkie. https://twitter.com/AlexaRayC/status/697127482332295172

Edited by KazeNinja17

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Balcerzak, February 9, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, February 9, 2016 - No reason given

EDIT: Delete this.

Edited by Jave

Definitely a strong chance of that. I can send out a tweet to Nick Robinson to see if he can confirm or not.

Coming from a different source, but Kinu is now Selkie. https://twitter.com/AlexaRayC/status/697127482332295172

Selkie... As in Silky?

Also, that tweet was glorious.

Selkie... As in Silky?

Also, that tweet was glorious.

That's how I'm looking at it. Especially since Kinu translated to silk. It makes sense that it'd be pronounced close to silky.

Selkie is a mythical creature from Scottish folklore. I am guessing Hoshidan names are not entirely Asian themed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie

This is the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the name change.

I guess besides it sounding similar to "silk", it also relates to the shapeshifter theme, though in this case its a fox instead of a seal. I think it sounds cute.

Edited by Nimue