Review Embargo Time

MattEnth

I sincerely hope this game isn't as overrated as Awakening.

Even people who like the game agree it has serious issues, but it apparently got enough good reviews to be the second highest rated 3DS game on metacritic. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Nintendo engaged in some EA-style advertisement blitzing of gaming news sites so that they'd feel obligated to give the game a higher score.

I sincerely hope this game isn't as overrated as Awakening.

Even people who like the game agree it has serious issues, but it apparently got enough good reviews to be the second highest rated 3DS game on metacritic. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Nintendo engaged in some EA-style advertisement blitzing of gaming news sites so that they'd feel obligated to give the game a higher score.

Incoming Salt

First, Awakening is the third highest rated 3DS game on Metacritic. Cave Story 3D is #2.

Second of all, calling a game "overrated" is entirely your opinion. Now do I agree that Awakening has flaws? Yes. Do I consider it overrated? No. Reviews are subjective. One person may love a game to death while the other despises it.

Also friendly reminder that reviewers are never obligated to give games a higher score (unless they are being bribed).

Just 2 days before it releases...that's not much time. Wonder if they don't have much faith.

Honestly, it's not surprising that the review embargo lifts just two days before the release date. A lot of Nintendo game reviews tend to show up the week of their release.

Just 2 days before it releases...that's not much time. Wonder if they don't have much faith.

I think if they didn't have much faith they'd embargo until the release date. 2 days before is likely to convince fence sitters to buy or decide against the game depending on how well it reviews.

I think if they didn't have much faith they'd embargo until the release date. 2 days before is likely to convince fence sitters to buy or decide against the game depending on how well it reviews.

Or they wouldn't send out review copies at all. Kind of like they did with Devil's Third. There were no review copies of that sent out.

Incoming Salt

First, Awakening is the third highest rated 3DS game on Metacritic. Cave Story 3D is #2.

Second of all, calling a game "overrated" is entirely your opinion. Now do I agree that Awakening has flaws? Yes. Do I consider it overrated? No. Reviews are subjective. One person may love a game to death while the other despises it.

Also friendly reminder that reviewers are never obligated to give games a higher score (unless they are being bribed).

Okay, 2nd highest-rated exclusive 3DS game.

I don't see anybody giving Awakening a 9/10 now; the game isn't near perfect (as 9/10 suggests), what with some glaring flaws.

"reviewers are never obligated to give games a higher score (unless they are being bribed)."

And you think running a bunch of advertisements for the game on that site isn't a form of bribery? How do you explain the bajillion 9/10-10/10 ratings CoD gets?

I haven't seen any web advertisments yet, so here's hoping for fairer reviews for FE14.

Edited by The DanMan

I don't see anybody giving Awakening a 9/10 now; the game isn't near perfect (as 9/10 suggests), what with some glaring flaws.

"reviewers are never obligated to give games a higher score (unless they are being bribed)."

And you think running a bunch of advertisements for the game on that site isn't a form of bribery? How do you explain the bajillion 9/10-10/10 ratings CoD gets?

I haven't seen any web advertisments yet, so here's hoping for fairer reviews for FE14.

Let's not forget that different reviewers review different games and the one IGN reviewer who docked Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire for "Too Much Water"

Fire Emblem Awakening averaged 92%, there hasn't been a Call of Duty since Fire Emblem Awakening released that averaged over 83%. Watch_Dogs and Destiny which were both being whored around out as "The first true next gen game" winning hundreds of awards and nominations got 70s.

You seriously can't think Nintendo spent money bribing people to think what was considered potentially the last entry in a dying series to have one of the highest review scores in the 8th generation. Those people legitimately thought Fire Emblem Awakening was that good.

Fire Emblem Awakening averaged 92%, there hasn't been a Call of Duty since Fire Emblem Awakening released that averaged over 83%. Watch_Dogs and Destiny which were both being whored around out as "The first true next gen game" winning hundreds of awards and nominations got 70s.

You seriously can't think Nintendo spent money bribing people to think what was considered potentially the last entry in a dying series to have one of the highest review scores in the 8th generation. Those people legitimately thought Fire Emblem Awakening was that good.

Averages are averages; there are enough of 90%+ reviews for CoD to splatter at the end of various commercials.

I'm not saying it doing as well as it did was purely because of advertising; I just believe that a not-insignificant part of it may have been so.

Edited by The DanMan