Viable Magic Units

Aestury

Bolded relevant words. This is low HP Emblem so an extra +10 damage can be the difference between surviving an attack and getting one shotted. It might work for some characters (Ryoma seems like a good candidate) but I think it's a pretty big risk.

Hinata and anyone who has Extravagance makes great use out of Line of Death. Vantage isn't that great outside of magic users, since low HP and low skill caps have made Vengeance much less useful in comparison to Awakening.

Hinata and anyone who has Extravagance makes great use out of Line of Death. Vantage isn't that great outside of magic users, since low HP and low skill caps have made Vengeance much less useful in comparison to Awakening.

I feel like they nerfed really much magic users in general, also somehow i couldn't use right Vengeance even in Awakening, i usually was killed when i tried to use it actually (lol).

I also feel bad that they're really fragile, Troubadour or Exorcist they will be oneshoted brutally.

But who knows, maybe there is some kind of build or skill-set which will make them better. :x

Dark Knights aren't that fragile….

Of course, they're dreadfully slow with regards to caps…. although +MAG (which you'd probably take with them anyways as an Avatar) helps slightly, and his Yato (+2 Spd for some portion of Birthright/Revelation, +4 later) as well as possibly Horse God could help out a good deal….

They cap out at 34 DEF and 30 RES…. 55 HP too, which isn't as much as your starting class tree, but is better than Sorcs, Strategists, and Exorcists….

Dark Knights aren't that fragile….

Of course, they're dreadfully slow with regards to caps…. although +MAG (which you'd probably take with them anyways as an Avatar) helps slightly, and his Yato (+2 Spd for some portion of Birthright/Revelation, +4 later) as well as possibly Horse God could help out a good deal….

They cap out at 34 DEF and 30 RES…. 55 HP too, which isn't as much as your starting class tree, but is better than Sorcs, Strategists, and Exorcists….

I meant Sorc, strategist and Exorcist mainly, DK or Revnamant have actually some kind of sustain. >.>

Disregarding Corn.

Hoshido - The default mages are awful. If you want to target res, you're better off using the magical weapon variants (Shockstick/Explosive Shuriken).

Nohr - Leo is Tome Jesus, Nyx has RIP durability but good core growths and a very good base weapon rank for when she joins. Similar to Miriel, except Miriel had Awakening Nosferatu for her durability and Nyx doesn't. She's still decent in theory, having Dark Knight potentially. Odin is mediocre statistically.

Valla - Hayato is amazing, Orochi is still awful, Nyx and Odin are the worst units in the route, and Leo is still Tome Jesus.

Disregarding Corn.

Hoshido - The default mages are awful. If you want to target res, you're better off using the magical weapon variants (Shockstick/Explosive Shuriken).

Nohr - Leo is Tome Jesus, Nyx has RIP durability but good core growths and a very good base weapon rank for when she joins. Similar to Miriel, except Miriel had Awakening Nosferatu for her durability and Nyx doesn't. She's still decent in theory, having Dark Knight potentially. Odin is mediocre statistically.

Valla - Hayato is amazing, Orochi is still awful, Nyx and Odin are the worst units in the route, and Leo is still Tome Jesus.

When i sometimes look at those bases for mages i feel like someone really didn't liked mages in this game lol

I usually prefer to have hybrid magic-physical units. For my Birthrights route, I use:

• Sakura (Onmyoji), mag only, a really solid unit. Worth investing some time into. Her growths are good enough that she won't lag behind, which is especially nice early on in the game.
  • Orochi (Onmyoji), mag only, good magic user, but has irredeemable speed. I usually keep here in the back to heal, or reserve her for finishing moves/capture.
  • Tsukuyomi (Shura), hybrid, good on defense with a slightly shoddier offense. Takes a while to make usable.
  • Aqua!Dia (Butler), hybrid, surprisingly good magic. I use forged Explosive Kunais.
  • Joker!Shigure (Malig Knight), hybrid, pretty terrible magic growths... but good enough that he can scrape by with a Bolt Axe. Sometimes.
  • Sakura!Gurei (Elite Ninja), hybrid, good magic thanks to his mom. Like with Dia, I use forged Explosive Kunais.

Don't remember all the new localized names or classes, so apologies in advance if some of this is hard to parse through.