Question: How does the RNG handle leveling up?

bookwormbabe29

Hi there~!

So, topic. I'm doing my first (of many) run through Fates on normal mode, with the handy dandy in battle save option. I thought to use in battle saves to get better stats upon level up, but it hasn't worked out for me yet. Doing the same action (kill bad guy!) gets the same results, which I expected. What I didn't expect was even if I change up my actions (for example, switch to another unit, score a kill, go back to original) I'm still getting the same level. I've only been at it for ten minutes so it's possible the RNG is being, well, random. Still, it's odd and wanted to know if anyone could verify one way of the other.

So far, it's been consistently the same. I've tried a few different characters, facing different enemies, changed actions around, etc, and yet the levels are happening exactly in the same order. One of the levels is for my Corrin, and he keeps getting the same level which includes luck, his flaw/bane this game. I tried restarting the chapter, and Corrin still keeps getting the same level. I keep thinking the RNG is just messing with me, but this is getting bizarre.

Edited by bookwormbabe29

So far, it's been consistently the same. I've tried a few different characters, facing different enemies, changed actions around, etc, and yet the levels are happening exactly in the same order. One of the levels is for my Corrin, and he keeps getting the same level which includes luck, his flaw/bane this game. I tried restarting the chapter, and Corrin still keeps getting the same level. I keep thinking the RNG is just messing with me, but this is getting bizarre.

Have you tried go back to My Castle and then restart the chapter? In JP versions this will change the growth in Hard and Normal.

In JP Lunatic, a unit gets a pseudo-random number list of level-ups when he joins. The only way to change it it restart from where he hasn't joined.

I'm having the same results, so I'm wondering if this was already confirmed. In all the past games, I could change the order of my actions and manipulate the RNG to give better level ups to my characters. Here, no matter where I move or who I hit first, the stat gains are always the same. Googling this, I found a similar report on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/3b6bf7/fates_level_up_rng_strangeness/) that speculated the RNG for level gains was set at the start of the chapter. If true, restarting the entire chapter would give different stat ups, but once you start it, they're set so no matter how many times we reload a battle save the level ups will be the same, preventing us from fixing it to get better stats mid-chapter.

Edited by Micaiah - Light Priestess

In Awakening, the RNG was set from the get go. The start of the chapter. To reset the RNG, you'd have to restart the chapter all over, thus rebooting the chapter data and the RNG included. Didn't we get confirmation they were using the same engine for Fates? If so, this could be why, or this could be how it's just set up. If you can, try to avoid using an almost peaked unit until next chapter.

In Awakening, the RNG was set from the get go. The start of the chapter. To reset the RNG, you'd have to restart the chapter all over, thus rebooting the chapter data and the RNG included. Didn't we get confirmation they were using the same engine for Fates? If so, this could be why, or this could be how it's just set up. If you can, try to avoid using an almost peaked unit until next chapter.

Was this Lunatic only? I remember playing Hard for Awakening and being able to load from battle saves to RNG abuse.